The Student Room Group

Summer sublet in Cambridge area?

Hi all,

I recently got an internship offer in Cambridge from July 3rd to September 22nd, and I was wondering where I would find students who were open to subletting over the summer, for under £1000 a month?
Is there some Facebook group that is commonly used, for example?
Is this a reasonable price? (I'm assuming summer sublets would be cheaper if students were planning on leaving anyway?)

I plan to stay with my sister and girlfriend, so we'll likely need at least 2 beds, if anyone has an offer in mind.

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place to ask about this or if if I'm using the wrong format; I'm American and have never been to the UK before so this is all pretty new to me.
Original post by davidchuyaya
Hi all,

I recently got an internship offer in Cambridge from July 3rd to September 22nd, and I was wondering where I would find students who were open to subletting over the summer, for under £1000 a month?
Is this a reasonable price? (I'm assuming summer sublets would be cheaper if students were planning on leaving anyway?)

I plan to stay with my sister and girlfriend, so we'll likely need at least 2 beds, if anyone has an offer in mind.

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place to ask about this or if if I'm using the wrong format; I'm American and have never been to the UK before so this is all pretty new to me.

I really doubt you are going to get that, it's far too specific. Student lets are arranged around the times students need the rooms and no-one is likely to be held to a summer lease across those dates unless they need it, plus two beds, plus sub-letting. Just look at the short term rental market or Air BnB, or College B&B.
Original post by davidchuyaya
Hi all,

Cambridge is an incredibly expensive city (it's one of the most expensive cities in the UK after London), and it's also a major tourist destination. Between these two factors, a) summer sublets are unlikely to be cheaper as landlords will make more money with shorter term air bnb bookings (or similar) and b) you probably wouldn't even be able to find a 2 bed flat for under £1k in Cambridge at the best of times. Finding a halfway decent one bedroom flat that isn't in the Girton or something for under £1k is a real challenge.

Also bear in mind that undergraduate students at the University of Cambridge normally live in college throughout the course, and the other university in Cambridge (ARU) is much smaller. So it does not tend to suddenly become a ghost town over the summer as far as the rental market goes as the rooms being vacated are by and large in the colleges (which rent them out for conferences and such). Postgraduates normally live and study year round so are not vacating their flats in the summer. Also as noted, there are lots of tourists over the summer in Cambridge who will happily take an airbnb for a few nights to explore Cambridge while also having easy access to London.

Basically, you need to manage your expectations here - your expected rent costs are going to likely be considerably higher than what you seem to be anticipating, and that's supposing you can find something. The rental market in Cambridge is brutal and places go almost as soon as they get listed in many cases. From an American perspective it's probably comparable to looking for places in major metropolitan cities like LA, NYC, or Chicago - expect the places to be obscenely expensive, small, and often way out of the way, unless you have a huge income, and people would sell their grandma down the river just to get a place.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending