The Student Room Group

Career change

I'm currently in my 2nd year of studying law but have lately taken a severe interest in Journalism. I know very little in the area but I feel passionate and eager to pick it up - perhaps even part time night classes? However, I have always been a creative writer and so, I feel as though I could pick it up quite naturally. Is there any way I can educate myself in the area? Is it possible to become a talented writer without a degree in the area but with one in law? Any advice on what to do?
Original post by rea27
I'm currently in my 2nd year of studying law but have lately taken a severe interest in Journalism. I know very little in the area but I feel passionate and eager to pick it up - perhaps even part time night classes? However, I have always been a creative writer and so, I feel as though I could pick it up quite naturally. Is there any way I can educate myself in the area? Is it possible to become a talented writer without a degree in the area but with one in law? Any advice on what to do?

A degree in another subject is one of the main routes into journalism. Your best bet is to get as much experience as you can alongside your degree (uni newspapers, local papers etc - local papers will normally be delighted to have a volunteer who knows what they're talking about to report on local magistrate hearings). Also look into getting experience and placements during your holidays with larger organisations (like the BBC/ITN/Channel 4 etc if you're interested in broadcast journalism or with national papers if that's interesting to you something like https://www.theguardian.com/education/mortarboard/2013/sep/23/blogging-students-how-to-pitch-and-blog or similar is worth a try). And keep a blog of your personal writing and try to build up a professional portfolio of your work - maybe also writing a blog - to help you find some entry level jobs.

NCTJ offer postgrad training in journalism http://www.nctj.com/ have a look around their site and see what student activities you can get involved with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending