The Student Room Group

Food in Cambridge

Hi
Perhaps this is an unusual question.... I'm looking at applying to Cambridge. But it looks like a lot of the food in colleges is based around refectories rather than self catering like at some unis. I'm a bit of a fussy eater ... in particular I don't like potatoes, not even chips. And I know I could self cater, but that looks like a lonely way to go if everyone else is eating dinner in the refec.
So I'm looking for some advice. What options do I have? Do the refectories in some colleges always serve an alternative? What sort of options are on the menu?
Thanks
Original post by Guy99
Hi
Perhaps this is an unusual question.... I'm looking at applying to Cambridge. But it looks like a lot of the food in colleges is based around refectories rather than self catering like at some unis. I'm a bit of a fussy eater ... in particular I don't like potatoes, not even chips. And I know I could self cater, but that looks like a lonely way to go if everyone else is eating dinner in the refec.
So I'm looking for some advice. What options do I have? Do the refectories in some colleges always serve an alternative? What sort of options are on the menu?
Thanks

Most colleges have their menu plan on their website (Usually somewhere under 'College Life' or similar section), so you can have a look and check what they serve. They always serve 2 or 3 options and you can choose what you want, not like a fixed set menu.
Also some students do cook themselves for various reasons, like special dietary requirements, to save money, etc. but in general self-catering facility in first-year accommodation isn't great. (Most commonly just hobs and a microwave)
The facility gets better for older students and also college-owned houses off main-site have much better facility as they have a proper kitchen.

Btw, they don't call it 'refractory'. It's a 'hall' (usually for more formal dinners) or a buttery (for non-formal meals) at Cambridge. :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Guy99
Hi
Thanks

You don't need to ask the same question in lots of different places :smile:

I've linked an example menu in one of your other posts.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=69700832
Christ's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending