The Student Room Group

Cambridge college recommendations?

Hi I’m attending the Cambridge open day tomorrow aimed at maknly choosing a college and I am mainly quite interested in Homerton. Is there any other recommendations? I’m predicted A*AA in politics, history, and sociology and am applying to study law. I want a college where they do have a small kitchen at least like Homerton and a likely hood of possibly getting en suite rooms. I don’t mind distance too much as long as it’s not further than Homerton but I would want a diverse and also a bit more modern mixed with traditional college maybe. Any help would be appreciated! Also I’ve heard students have to leave during non term times and take all their stuff? Is this true and if some colleges don’t make you leave which are those? Is Homerton one?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I’m attending the Cambridge open day tomorrow aimed at maknly choosing a college and I am mainly quite interested in Homerton. Is there any other recommendations? I’m predicted A*AA in politics, history, and sociology and am applying to study law. I want a college where they do have a small kitchen at least like Homerton and a likely hood of possibly getting en suite rooms. I don’t mind distance too much as long as it’s not further than Homerton but I would want a diverse and also a bit more modern mixed with traditional college maybe. Any help would be appreciated! Also I’ve heard students have to leave during non term times and take all their stuff? Is this true and if some colleges don’t make you leave which are those? Is Homerton one?

Robinson would fit - modern, a high proportion of en-suites, and not smothered in tourists on Grange Road, but easy access to the centre of town. Ditto Selwyn, though not sure about proportion of en-suites.

All Colleges are equally diverse. Pretty much all undergrads have to clear their rooms during the summer.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Robinson would fit - modern, a high proportion of en-suites, and not smothered in tourists on Grange Road, but easy access to the centre of town. Ditto Selwyn, though not sure about proportion of en-suites.

All Colleges are equally diverse. Pretty much all undergrads have to clear their rooms during the summer.

Thank you. Do students have to clear their rooms and leave during other term times like Easter/Christmas etc or is it just summer?
Thank you. Do students have to clear their rooms and leave during other term times like Easter/Christmas etc or is it just summer?

Generally you don't have to clear out at Christmas. At Easter, it depends what room you are in and what the College's conference plans are. Colleges subsidise their operations (ie students) by taking conferences during the vacation periods. So if you are in an old, central room and it's en-suite, they can make £100-£150 a night selling that to a conference. If you are in a small room, with a shared bathroom, in a Victorian terrace, down by the railway station, they can't let that out so you can probably leave your stuff there year round.
Reply 4
Okay thank you!

Original post by threeportdrift
Generally you don't have to clear out at Christmas. At Easter, it depends what room you are in and what the College's conference plans are. Colleges subsidise their operations (ie students) by taking conferences during the vacation periods. So if you are in an old, central room and it's en-suite, they can make £100-£150 a night selling that to a conference. If you are in a small room, with a shared bathroom, in a Victorian terrace, down by the railway station, they can't let that out so you can probably leave your stuff there year round.

Okay thank you!
Reply 5
Does anyone know if Homerton makes you pay for the food as I know you have to give a fee to the kitchen for the dining as colleges cater for you, but I would rather self cater possibly and eat out. Is it an optional fee at Homerton?
Does anyone know if Homerton makes you pay for the food as I know you have to give a fee to the kitchen for the dining as colleges cater for you, but I would rather self cater possibly and eat out. Is it an optional fee at Homerton?

Usually you can only avoid the KFC - Kitchen Fixed Charge if you have a massive food allergy they can't cope with - and they can cope with nearly all of them. https://www.hus-jcr.co.uk/college-life/food/#:~:text=Did%20you%20know%20that%20Homerton,to%20subsidise%20their%20food%20service.

It's not payment for the food pre se, you still have to pay for the food you eat, but it's a universal subsidy to keep the kitchens running and available.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending