The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Linda
IrrelevEnt, did you say?

I misspelled it so that our American friends wont seem out of place.
Reply 41
Biggles
Yes, a very peaceful people - so long as we ignore their 1000 years of destruction of Western civilisation :wink:.

Well, the 400 years of being occupied by Danmark and the 5 years of being occupied by Germany made the Norwegians more humble.
Reply 42
Biggles
400 years of occupation by Denmark lol silly Vikings. The Great Danish Empire - oooooo.

The English feared the Great Kingdom of Denmark the most, Shakespeare used this in one of his plays, "Hamlet", ever heard of it?
Linda
The English feared the Great Kingdom of Denmark the most, Shakespeare used this in one of his plays, "Hamlet", ever heard of it?

yes yes I've heard the stores of the Great Danes from reading Lord Denning's autobiography (he claims Danish descent). But still it is very difficult to imagine such a little people being so powerful. Perhaps one day in the future people will be surpised at how England came to rule the world.
Reply 44
Biggles
yes yes I've heard the stores of the Great Danes from reading Lord Denning's autobiography (he claims Danish descent). But still it is very difficult to imagine such a little people being so powerful. Perhaps one day in the future people will be surpised at how England came to rule the world.

Well, at that time Denmark controlled Norway and Sweden. Things change rapidly. A few hundered years ago Sweden occupied all territory surrounding the baltic sea (except Copenhagen) and large areas of Norway. The only thing that remains constant with European warfare is that France manage to somehow lose in every conflict they get themselves involved in.
Jonatan
The only thing that remains constant with European warfare is that France manage to somehow lose in every conflict they get themselves involved in.

Makes you wonder about their reputation for this doesn't it? I thought they've won some battles at least unless you're meaning this Sweden times you're speaking of.
Reply 46
NDGAARONDI
Makes you wonder about their reputation for this doesn't it? I thought they've won some battles at least unless you're meaning this Sweden times you're speaking of.

I was slightly ironic. Theres been an awful number of French defeats throughout history though...
Jonatan
I was slightly ironic.

Usually I hear English people in this situation as before on UKL :wink:

Jonatan
Theres been an awful number of French defeats throughout history though...

Yes there have. Some stupid ones by England too. Guess we're all human.
Reply 48
Jonatan
I suppose the times taken into consideration, the Vikings were pretty average. My statement was in response to Biggle's sugestion that I should behave more like vikings. As for democracy it developed in many areas of the world independently at many different times, and as you mention our current system is based on greek democracies which were a bit more sophisticated than the primitive and early viking societies.

LIGHTEN UP

on the democracy thing isn't the Tynwald (?SP) the oldest 'parliament' still in existance and set up by the Vikings? Or did I make that up?

And yes under 16s should be allowed to work. It may affect their schoolwork but it may also improve it, improve social skills and get people into the idea that work = cash.

The people I do think should be prevented from working are child models / actors. They can be so annoying................. or maybe just their mothers should be banned.......................... or maybe I should come back to this after I've had a coffess.
Reply 49
I believe that students under 18 should be allowed to work. However, I believe their school should have the power to remove them from such work whenever their hours begin to impact negatively on their scholastic performance.

Too many people suffer due to the need for money as kids, and I'm like, why do you even want all that money - I spend NOTHING.
RobbieC
I spend NOTHING.

Haircuts, new shoes and/or trainers?
this might seem stupid but surely it should be up to them? (over the age of 14)
Reply 52
RobbieC
I believe that students under 18 should be allowed to work. However, I believe their school should have the power to remove them from such work whenever their hours begin to impact negatively on their scholastic performance.

Too many people suffer due to the need for money as kids, and I'm like, why do you even want all that money - I spend NOTHING.

Uhm. I have had quite a few weird teachers in my time, and Il be damned before I let any teacher get that sort of influence upon the free time of any of my future children (If I get any )...

Latest

Trending

Trending