The Student Room Group

A level subjects for civil engineering

Heyy guys, I've just completed my igcse and now im going on to choosing my A level subjects. I was thinking of a career as a civil enjineer and I'm confused as to which subjects to choose

I was thinking of maths and physics and also geography and computer science
But many people have suggested chemistry
Look at uni entry requirements for the course and see what you need. Pick those and if you need more pick subjects that interest you so you will do well in them.
Reply 2
Original post by aamirchaka
Heyy guys, I've just completed my igcse and now im going on to choosing my A level subjects. I was thinking of a career as a civil enjineer and I'm confused as to which subjects to choose

In my opinion, i would say the subjects you are thinking of are really good for civil engineering except computer science( not saying it's bad just not a preferred subject for engineering) . I'd recommend further maths instead of c.s but it's not an easy subject, can require you to work very hard although this can depend on how good you are at maths. And regarding chemistry it would be nice to have it as its seen as a strong subject( i've been told this) but for civil engineering you wouldn't necessarily need it as it's normally required for chemical engineering. Have a look on UCAS and see for yourself.
(edited 7 years ago)

Most universities require you to have maths and probably physics which you have. But I would suggest instead of computer science you take up geography as it helps you in understanding more about the earth. Chemistry is also very useful. Another reason why I would suggest you don't take computer science is that the content is extremely difficult. I saw the textbook and I was like what!!!! Btw did you take computer science at iGCSE and what grades did you get in your iGCSEs if you don't mind me asking. Apologize for the length
Reply 4

Chemistry isn't really required. Maths and Physics are needed.
Reply 5
No...i took ict in which i got on A* but dat ws because of the pratical...i think ur ryt...plus the theory parts will drive crazy...i saw the syllabus... A bunch of algorithms... I think I'll take geography... It culd be hard but not as much as CS
Math and Physics are core. The rest doesn't matter. Chemistry is not needed for any uni (except Canada IIRC). Pick whatever you want for the last slots.
Maths
Further mathematics
Physics
Geology (if you can find it)
Geography
Chemistry*
Computer sciences*

Maths necessary, physics is the first optional subject you should have, rest depends on the university (bath likes a humanity above FM) though chem and CS are less than others. ICE states that maths, physics, geology and geography are the best subjects along with ICT though geology is a rare subject.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest