The Student Room Group

Applying for law

I achieved grades of ABBBD at AS but know I can do better. (Revising late and being plain lazy.)*cough
My B was 1 UMS mark off an A in a science and the D was due to answering the wrong essay question.

My predicted grades are AAA.

Realistically what universities should I be applying for to read Law?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Depends on various factors. Would you like to do the LNAT?
Reply 2
J-Curve
Depends on various factors. Would you like to do the LNAT?

Why not? Give it a go.
Reply 3
If you're confident you can do well on your exams and the LNAT, give any University a chance as AAA is the required grades for entrance to top Law Schools.
However, those are mere predicted grades... and don't hold quite the sway that attained AS grades of that would. I know your AS don't go on your application (although IMO they should) so if you have strong GCSEs you should be OK. Of course, the subject you 'cash in' will be on there, which could well be a D, in which case you could do with a damn good PS blah blah but you still have a good chance at the good unis.
Reply 5
Lewisy-boy
However, those are mere predicted grades... and don't hold quite the sway that attained AS grades of that would. I know your AS don't go on your application (although IMO they should) so if you have strong GCSEs you should be OK. Of course, the subject you 'cash in' will be on there, which could well be a D, in which case you could do with a damn good PS blah blah but you still have a good chance at the good unis.

I thought your As grades did go on the application forms unless you decline them.
Reply 6
Two case scenario, me thinks.
You don't HAVE to put them on, and indeed many applicants with 'worse' grades don't. I put mind on, because I was happy with them, but many people are allowed to not put them on, and don't because they are a chink in their armour. But they're a reflection of your academic commitment: if you try at AS level, odds on you will try and first year and be more of a model student from the get go and are less likely to slack off for booze etc.
Reply 8
If your grades are certified, you HAVE to put them down.
Reply 9
Ah right. Hmm i got ABBBC. I'm thinking of declining the C. Te others aren't too bad i guess especially as i'm predicted AAA. Do you guys think its worth declining the C if i want to apply to top unis such as Warwick, Bristol, Southampton, Exeter etc?
YEah, but they only get certified i you cash them in... and most people don't if they continue to A2.
Reply 11
Regarding the GCSE grades, I got 9A*s and 3As. Do GCSEs actually make much of a difference?
Given that most applicants don't have many AS grades on their application, they most certainly do! They are the most recent exams most people declare.
Reply 13
Lewisy-boy
YEah, but they only get certified i you cash them in... and most people don't if they continue to A2.

Wait so if you continue a subject to A2 you don't have to right down the AS result. Does that mean you're declining them or is is something else.

Also while we're on the subject do you reckon its worth declining my C grade?
Hi this isn't completely relevant, but I was hoping to apply for Medicine next year, leaving me with an extra choice. I was kind of wanting to do Law at Edinburgh. I should get five As at Higher - English, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. Next year, I'm taking Adv Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Higher Computing and again should hopefully get As. Do you think it's worth applying since my subjects aren't all that relevant? Also, I've been on the website and it doesn't really list any non academic requirements like for Medicine. Are there any things that I should do to help my application should I apply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending