The Student Room Group

I am stuck on whether I should do Law or a Music degree

The type of law I am interested in would consist of copyright and publishing legal matters etc.

However, I am much more passionate about music. I have a strong portfolio with music such as grade 8 in 3 instruments, played in orchestras at a national level and have placed tracks on BBC introducing as well as amassing 66.8K streams on my SoundCloud.
I am also quite aware about how a music degree is often viewed lowly, especially in my school where majority are STEM or finance, law and because of this I was considering to apply Cambridge music.

Is it a bad idea to apply law to other russel group universities, but only apply music for cambridge? My main concern is that Cambridge would be able to see through a sense of artificialness when it comes to my interests of law

Thanks a lot
The first thing that pops to mind is how hard it is to make a living out of music, and that even if you're able to live off from music, you don't necessarily need to have a music degree, so I think that goes against studying music.

And your plan to apply to music at Cambridge and law at other universities is just bonkers. Are you aware that you only get one personal statement that gets sent off to all the universities you have applied to? You'd need to write a personal statement that covers both law and music, and with very limited space, you'll fail to write adequately about both and the universities won't look favourably on you applying to two radically different courses. With RG Law and Cambridge being very competitive, this is basically a recipe of how to not get in anywhere.

I realise this is probably not what you wanted to hear. I'm truly sorry about that. But you need to pick either music or law. The choice is yours but law will probably be your best choice if you wish to have a job that will pay you well, that is. But doing law doesn't stop you from advancing your interest in music - in fact, no matter what you do in life, always take the music with you.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Do Music.
Its that's your passion then do it.
Nothing else will match that for motivation and enjoyment.

Then do a Law Masters degree if you are still interested - examples
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/2023/ssl/ma-law/
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/courses/2023/law-ma
Reply 3
Original post by Scotland Yard
The first thing that pops to mind is how hard it is to make a living out of music, and that even if you're able to live off from music, you don't necessarily need to have a music degree, so I think that goes against studying music.

And your plan to apply to music at Cambridge and law at other universities is just bonkers. Are you aware that you only get one personal statement that gets sent off to all the universities you have applied to? You'd need to write a personal statement that covers both law and music, and with very limited space, you'll fail to write adequately about both and the universities won't look favourably on you applying to two radically different courses. With RG Law and Cambridge being very competitive, this is basically a recipe of how to not get in anywhere.

I realise this is probably not what you wanted to hear. I'm truly sorry about that. But you need to pick either music or law. The choice is yours but law will probably be your best choice if you wish to have a job that will pay you well, that is. But doing law doesn't stop you from advancing your interest in music - in fact, no matter what you do in life, always take the music with you.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thank you for your reply. I ended up applying for music at Bristol, Southampton, Durham, Manchester and Oxford
So far, I have received an offer from Bristol and I have got an interview with Manchester in November.
I realised that I may as well study something I enjoy for 3 years, and as Law is a career that can be done through conversion I get the best combination.
Original post by t0m4t0m
Thank you for your reply. I ended up applying for music at Bristol, Southampton, Durham, Manchester and Oxford
So far, I have received an offer from Bristol and I have got an interview with Manchester in November.
I realised that I may as well study something I enjoy for 3 years, and as Law is a career that can be done through conversion I get the best combination.

That's logical enough. Wish you the best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending