Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel Mathematics: Mechanics M3 6679 01 - 17 May 2017 [Exam Discussion] watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find this exam?
    Amazing! :woo:
    27.43%
    Good
    36.57%
    OKAY. :bebored:
    25.14%
    Bad... :cry2:
    7.43%
    HORRIBLE PAPER!!
    3.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goatygoat)
    Shouldn't you be happy about that? :mmm:
    Not to an M3 paper.

ReputationRep:
    Lets go optic
    lets go optic

ReputationRep:
    I saw someone post a website with more past papers on this forum and decided to check them out but the mark schemes seem to be wrong or is it me? http://crashmaths.com/a-level-practice-papers/ - paper a seems to have loads of mistakes in their solutions ;/

ReputationRep:
    Can that vector notation in chapter 4 come up and deriving from first principles 2rsinA/3A ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrueDAN)
    Can that vector notation in chapter 4 come up and deriving from first principles 2rsinA/3A ?
    I'm not sure about the vector stuff, I just thought it was used as an easy way for us to understand where the equations come from.

In the textbook for the 2rsinA/3A proof it just says "You should understand and learn how to derive it", so I assume it could :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeB98)
    I'm not sure about the vector stuff, I just thought it was used as an easy way for us to understand where the equations come from.

In the textbook for the 2rsinA/3A proof it just says "You should understand and learn how to derive it", so I assume it could :/
    Ah okay thank you mate - that proof one is pretty insane - ive just memorised how
    madasmaths did it just in case it comes up, cheers

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions?

ReputationRep:
    hey, can someone help me with question 1 on jan 16 (IAL) I'm probably missing something obvious but I can't see how you would find the angle to the horizontal , the mark scheme shows it as being 60 degrees but dosent show how. Name:  Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 15.24.20.png
Views: 44
Size:  182.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    what proofs do we need to learn?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dididid)
    hey, can someone help me with question 1 on jan 16 (IAL) I'm probably missing something obvious but I can't see how you would find the angle to the horizontal , the mark scheme shows it as being 60 degrees but dosent show how. Name:  Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 15.24.20.png
    draw a line of the particle to the centre of the hemisphere - that'll be radius 2r .

ReputationRep:
    arccos(r/2r) = 60 degrees

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me on example 14 chapter 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Major-fury)
    draw a line of the particle to the centre of the hemisphere - that'll be radius 2r .
    (Original post by saira.p)
    arccos(r/2r) = 60 degrees
    ahhh, thanks . lol yh i was missing something very obvious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saira.p)
    what proofs do we need to learn?
    For chapter five (statics/CoM) if you have the textbook to hand it's probably worth learning examples 4, 7, 10, 11 and maybe 13. Also worth looking at some questions involving triangular laminas, seen a few of those come up.

Don't think we need to know anything else. It's worth having memorised the way to prove simple harmonic motion.

ReputationRep:
    ahhh, thanks . lol yh i was missing something very obvious
    Could you help me on shm questions? how to find the direction of x increasing in some cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ash8991)
    Any predictions?
    - First principle COM derivation / intergation for COM and some grim c.o.m moments question - probably one weve never seen before.
    - Hopefully just a standard calculus question and nothing out of the ordinary.
    - Potentially a gravitational problem as it has not came up a lot recently.
    - Im thinking a string/spring on a rough plane (maybe inclined) to test our knowledge of the work energy principle
    - Obviously SHM - they like the ones were they are 2 strings with different natural lengths horizontal.
    - Standard circular motion question with the need for SUVAT in some part or maybe looking at least and greatest tensions and showing something.
    - Would love a banked track question/ nice banked circular motion too.
    Just guessing though, no idea tbh - probably every scenario ive mentioned wont come up tomorrow haha

ReputationRep:
    Could you help me on shm questions? how to find the direction of x increasing in some cases.
    yh sure ,

ReputationRep:
    yh sure ,
    June 2013, June 2013 R, typically those types of questions i can't tell when it just states that it's released from rest...

ReputationRep:
    When you have a w^2 value having proved s.h.m, do you have to leave it to 3 sf if you have used g? The mark scheme seems really anal about giving too much precision but with this it looks like you can leave it as a fraction ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the___jackal)
    When you have a w^2 value having proved s.h.m, do you have to leave it to 3 sf if you have used g? The mark scheme seems really anal about giving too much precision but with this it looks like you can leave it as a fraction ?
    unless stated to give to a degree of accuracy , I'm pretty sure you can leave as a fraction with g .

June 2013, June 2013 R, typically those types of questions i can't tell when it just states that it's released from rest...
    it depends on where its held at rest, if its at rest at a point after the equilibrium extension then T>particles Weight therefore will move upwards towards equilibrium and if where its held at rest is before the equilibrium point then T<particles weight and therefore will move downwards towards equilibrium. if thats what you're asking?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.