The Student Room Group

Is the Ebacc important?

I am choosing my GCSEs and was told that I have to take history or geography to do the Ebacc.
The problem is that I hate both and honestly can't see myself ploughing through two more years of memorising lists of dates that are great for the classroom and pop quizzes and last-minute cramming panics (as in, causing) but have absolutely no relevance to REAL LIFE and colouring in diagrams of tectonic plates and labelling formations of hurricanes while the teacher yells at you for forgetting to bring your colouring pencils and you sit there, having utterly no idea how you're in Year 9 and you still need goddamned colouring pencils.
Anyway.
Every teacher that I have asked has given a vague answer along the lines of, "maybe", "not very useful," and one has started talking about Michael Gove. In a nutshell, I don't know what to do.
How useful would the Ebacc be in the future? As a hopeful future oxbridge applicant, would it affect my chances if I don't have it? (And, from the meagre research that I have done, doesn't it seem far too narrow, ruling out the arts and pushing students to a more academic, traditional- outdated, one could say- approach?)
So, in your opinion, History, Geography, both or neither?
Colleges really favour them.
Original post by Ashanddust
I am choosing my GCSEs and was told that I have to take history or geography to do the Ebacc.
The problem is that I hate both and honestly can't see myself ploughing through two more years of memorising lists of dates that are great for the classroom and pop quizzes and last-minute cramming panics (as in, causing) but have absolutely no relevance to REAL LIFE and colouring in diagrams of tectonic plates and labelling formations of hurricanes while the teacher yells at you for forgetting to bring your colouring pencils and you sit there, having utterly no idea how you're in Year 9 and you still need goddamned colouring pencils.
Anyway.
Every teacher that I have asked has given a vague answer along the lines of, "maybe", "not very useful," and one has started talking about Michael Gove. In a nutshell, I don't know what to do.
How useful would the Ebacc be in the future? As a hopeful future oxbridge applicant, would it affect my chances if I don't have it? (And, from the meagre research that I have done, doesn't it seem far too narrow, ruling out the arts and pushing students to a more academic, traditional- outdated, one could say- approach?)
So, in your opinion, History, Geography, both or neither?

No the EBacc is not important all - it's not a 'real' qualification. School only want you to pick these subjects for League tables.

You should choose the GCSE subjects you enjoy and once you have the basic ones - Eng x2, Maths, Science - then it really does not matter. You don't even need a language unless you are planning to study them in future.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I also do not want to do EBacc as I am terrible at languages, but I do enjoy History and Geography. I am worried about not picking the requirements for EBacc as my school goes on about taking it and how 'we won't be able to go to university if you do not do a humanity and language.' I would like to go university because I want to be an English lecturer but I really don't want to pick French, which I'm studying now! I am currently in Year 8, which people think is peculiar as children, including myself, are too young to be picking GCSEs (we are picking them in March but the form is being given out round about Christmas). I would much rather be picking Drama instead of French, but I'm not sure what to pick as it could affect my future!
Original post by maartha
I also do not want to do EBacc as I am terrible at languages, but I do enjoy History and Geography. I am worried about not picking the requirements for EBacc as my school goes on about taking it and how 'we won't be able to go to university if you do not do a humanity and language.' I would like to go university because I want to be an English lecturer but I really don't want to pick French, which I'm studying now! I am currently in Year 8, which people think is peculiar as children, including myself, are too young to be picking GCSEs (we are picking them in March but the form is being given out round about Christmas). I would much rather be picking Drama instead of French, but I'm not sure what to pick as it could affect my future!

You don't need a GCSE humanity or a language for university unless you want to study that subject!

I'm a teacher and plenty of students don't do Histroy or Geography or a MFL and have no problem getting into uni.
It's not the slightest bit important.

I chose RS instead which is my favourite subject.
And on a local schools website it says 'Top universities only consider people who take a language at GCSE'

I thought I noticed a bit of BS when reading that...
Same I want to take all my humanities and media because I would hate 2 take french I don't see how taking french could improve my future career because I want 2 be a lawyer. You will be able to go 2 university depending on what u want to study so your school is just telling u rubbish. I am planning on studying law and sphycology. I'm in year 8 2.
So I have felt a bit more hopeful after reading these comments because I just found out what E bacc is. The thing is, with my school, we have to take Maths, English x2, Science (x3 or x2) and a language (Spanish, Latin or French). If you choose to take combined science, you get to have 3 more subjects but if you take triple you can only take 2 more as my school is really annoying and is only letting us take 9 subjects. I really, really, really want to take Computer Science and Business (as I'm doing Triple Science), but this whole E Bacc thing is worrying me as I literally can't take History or Geography. Believe me, if I was in a different school, I'd take History and Drama as well as the 2 others but my school doesn't allow that. As a person who has high hopes for the future, do you think that these choices will affect anything?

Quick Reply

Latest