The Student Room Group

GSCE Cold war question help

Hi I'm doing gcse Edexcel cold war. I'm trying this question for Practice - "Explain the importance of the Grand Alliance for relations between Stalin, Churchill and Roosevelt in the years 1941-45." but struggling. This is what I have so far -

The Grand Alliance was somewhat important for the relations between the big 3 because it meant that the leaders had to meet. The 3 leaders met 3 times to make decisions concerning the second world war. For example, at the Yalta Conference in 1944 the leaders decided to split Germany in 4 zones. This shows that they relations between Stalin, Churchill and Roosevelt were good because they made agreements about important things. However, the grand alliance was only somewhat important for relations because in the Potsdam conference in 1941 Churchill felt left out of talks as his proposals were dismissed such as invading Germany through the Balkans, showing a worsening of relations between the Big 3 as there was resentment from Churchill. Therefore the Grand Allience was only somewhat important for relations between Stalin, Churchill and Roosevelt in the years 1941-45.

-

I'm just stuck on a 2nd paragraph. Any any idea for possible points? Thanks
Original post by Glemon
Hi I'm doing gcse Edexcel cold war. I'm trying this question for Practice - "Explain the importance of the Grand Alliance for relations between Stalin, Churchill and Roosevelt in the years 1941-45." but struggling. This is what I have so far -

The Grand Alliance was somewhat important for the relations between the big 3 because it meant that the leaders had to meet. The 3 leaders met 3 times to make decisions concerning the second world war. For example, at the Yalta Conference in 1944 the leaders decided to split Germany in 4 zones. This shows that they relations between Stalin, Churchill and Roosevelt were good because they made agreements about important things. However, the grand alliance was only somewhat important for relations because in the Potsdam conference in 1941 Churchill felt left out of talks as his proposals were dismissed such as invading Germany through the Balkans, showing a worsening of relations between the Big 3 as there was resentment from Churchill. Therefore the Grand Allience was only somewhat important for relations between Stalin, Churchill and Roosevelt in the years 1941-45.

-

I'm just stuck on a 2nd paragraph. Any any idea for possible points? Thanks

You're adding most of the points in the first paragraph. Do it separately: 1st point talk about how they met in Tehran initially- very important because it was the first time the 3 had met up showed that despite political differences, the three were willing to work together for a greater good (ending WW2). And talk about agreements that were made, e.g the opening of a second front in France to relieve some pressure that was on the Soviets.

And then say how this then led to the Yalta Conference etc
Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by AmeenahHs
You're adding most of the points in the first paragraph. Do it separately: 1st point talk about how they met in Tehran initially- very important because it was the first time the 3 had met up showed that despite political differences, the three were willing to work together for a greater good (ending WW2). And talk about agreements that were made, e.g the opening of a second front in France to relieve some pressure that was on the Soviets.

And then say how this then led to the Yalta Conference etc
Hope that helps!

Reply 3
@AmeenahHs how many marks do you think this is?

The Grand Alliance was somewhat important for the relations between the big 3 because during the Potsdam it was confirmed that Germany would be split in 4 sections. In 1945 Yalta conference the big three decided that they would split Germany into 4 zones one for each ally. Britain, France, The USSR and The USA received a section. This also split Berlin up into these zones even though it was in east Germany. This caused tension between the USSR and USA because they were disagreed over the splitting of Berlin. Therefore, the Grand Alliance was somewhat important for the relations between Stalin, Churchill and Roosevelt.

The Grand Alliance was slightly important for relations between Stalin, Churchill and Roosevelt because it caused disagreements between Stalin and Roosevelt over the German reparations. In the 1943 Tehran conference there was a disagreement over how harsh the Allies should be on Germany when they won the war. Stalin felt that they should be very harsh on Germany because of the huge impact that the war had had on the USSR, but Churchill and Roosevelt thought they should be more lenient with Germany to allow them to recover post war. This caused tension between the Leaders and worsened relations. Therefore, the Grand Alliance was slightly importance for relations between Stalin, Churchill and Roosevelt.
Reply 4
Original post by Glemon
@AmeenahHs how many marks do you think this is?

The Grand Alliance was somewhat important for the relations between the big 3 because during the Potsdam it was confirmed that Germany would be split in 4 sections. In 1945 Yalta conference the big three decided that they would split Germany into 4 zones one for each ally. Britain, France, The USSR and The USA received a section. This also split Berlin up into these zones even though it was in east Germany. This caused tension between the USSR and USA because they were disagreed over the splitting of Berlin. Therefore, the Grand Alliance was somewhat important for the relations between Stalin, Churchill and Roosevelt.

The Grand Alliance was slightly important for relations between Stalin, Churchill and Roosevelt because it caused disagreements between Stalin and Roosevelt over the German reparations. In the 1943 Tehran conference there was a disagreement over how harsh the Allies should be on Germany when they won the war. Stalin felt that they should be very harsh on Germany because of the huge impact that the war had had on the USSR, but Churchill and Roosevelt thought they should be more lenient with Germany to allow them to recover post war. This caused tension between the Leaders and worsened relations. Therefore, the Grand Alliance was slightly importance for relations between Stalin, Churchill and Roosevelt.

I would give that 6/8, due to the chronology, talk about events in the order that they took place. Also try to use more analytical language, but it's definitely on its way to getting 8/8
Reply 5
Original post by AmeenahHs
I would give that 6/8, due to the chronology, talk about events in the order that they took place. Also try to use more analytical language, but it's definitely on its way to getting 8/8

I'd give you a rep if it would let me! Thanks a lot!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending