The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by auburnstar
Yes, it's certainly annoying. They seem to be the only college not giving feedback. I've emailed a couple times but to no avail - I got some detailed knowledge on the process through an FOI and what they're looking for but nothing specific to my application. I won't complain because that'll probably jeopardise something but it is curious - I thought the policy was University-wide. They gave me the submitted work score which was A for everything but nothing about the interviews.

Music is the course and the B in music was 10 ums off, unfortunately.

Without feedback and without perfect AS grades when I applied I suppose they can't fault me for trying again if I get A*AA at A2 or above xDD

I think that if you reapply you should probably choose a different college. They will be quite likely to remember your application, especially with a small subject like Music.

I think that your AS grades will always be a concern and you should aim to achieve above A*AA at A level to demonstrate strong academic ability.

The University website states that provision of feedback 'is a requirement of the Data Protection Act' at http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/feedback. Many colleges won't provide feedback to applicants directly however and prefer to deal with your UCAS referee - perhaps they could email and ask for feedback?
(edited 7 years ago)
What are the number of A*'s, at a level, for an average post a level successful applicant for mathematics and also for Physical natural sciences?

my friend that applied to oxford brasenrose college just received his feedback and he claimed it said he was rejected pre interview for law because he had 7A*'s 3A's in o levels (AAAA at AS) and they only called those with at least 8A*'s for interview. how much emphasis do cambridge AT's put on gcse's for post a level applicants?
Original post by Student1256
What are the number of A*'s, at a level, for an average post a level successful applicant for mathematics and also for Physical natural sciences?

my friend that applied to oxford brasenrose college just received his feedback and he claimed it said he was rejected pre interview for law because he had 7A*'s 3A's in o levels (AAAA at AS) and they only called those with at least 8A*'s for interview. how much emphasis do cambridge AT's put on gcse's for post a level applicants?

I'm afraid I can't really answer the first question with the information I have at the moment - Peterhouse is too small a college to have a significant numeber of successful post-qualificatiopn applicants.

In any case, such figures don't help individuals to make the right decisions - there is no average candidate and unless you are planning on applying a statistically meaningful number of times then comparing yourself to the average doesn't give an accurate reflection of the strength of your application. The important thing is that you'd have met or exceeded the typical offer of A*A*A in relevant subjects.

We do not have any GCSE requirements for those subjects, public orsecret and would not reject an otherwise strong candidate on the vasis of their GCSEs.

Cambridge's approach is fundamentally different to Oxford's when it comes to interviews. In the most competitive subjects Oxford look to shortlist - inviting only the strongest candidates. Cambridge call the process 'deselection' - look at inviting everybody unless they are obviously uncompetitive and an interview wouldn't help gain them a place.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
I'm afraid I can't really answer the first question with the information I have at the moment - Peterhouse is too small a college to have a significant numeber of successful post-qualificatiopn applicants.

In any case, such figures don't help individuals to make the right decisions - there is no average candidate and unless you are planning on applying a statistically meaningful number of times then comparing yourself to the average doesn't give an accurate reflection of the strength of your application. The important thing is that you'd have met or exceeded the typical offer of A*A*A in relevant subjects.

We do not have any GCSE requirements for those subjects, public orsecret and would not reject an otherwise strong candidate on the vasis of their GCSEs.

Cambridge's approach is fundamentally different to Oxford's when it comes to interviews. In the most competitive subjects Oxford look to shortlist - inviting only the strongest candidates. Cambridge call the process 'deselection' - look at inviting everybody unless they are obviously uncompetitive and an interview wouldn't help gain them a place.

ah, very insightful! im sure all these answers you are giving will be a great resource to people who are looking to apply for 2018.

ive seen the term strong candidate used a lot and it would be great if you could explain what is regarded as a strong candidate? (i know its a difficult question to answer)

what kind of questions are asked at a maths interview? previous cycle i applied for phys natsci and had an interview at trinity hall cambridge

is it helpful to know any undergrad level math for someone on a gap year as they will have some free time to their name?
Original post by Student1256
ah, very insightful! im sure all these answers you are giving will be a great resource to people who are looking to apply for 2018.

ive seen the term strong candidate used a lot and it would be great if you could explain what is regarded as a strong candidate? (i know its a difficult question to answer)

what kind of questions are asked at a maths interview? previous cycle i applied for phys natsci and had an interview at trinity hall cambridge

is it helpful to know any undergrad level math for someone on a gap year as they will have some free time to their name?

We would say that a strong candidate s one who has a realistic chance of getting an offer - nothing guaranteed of course, but someone we would expect to do well at interview and at least be in the final considerations for offers or to be of likely interest to other colleges in the pool.

For advice on maths interviews and preparation you should look here.
Reply 65
Is there any certainty about what changes Brexit will bring in the short term? For 2018 offer holders/applicants and possibly later?
You've done well at GCSE but there aren't any GCSE requirements anyway. This means what it says - we will never reject a promising applicant on the basis of their GCSEs.

Cool, thanks for your reply! :smile:
I am doing Maths, FM, Economics and Music AL and want to apply to the Cambridge Economics course which I understand sees itself as strongly focused on econometrics. Why then does the new ECCA assessment seem to to appeal to those stronger on expansive essays on obscure subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zpx
Is there any certainty about what changes Brexit will bring in the short term? For 2018 offer holders/applicants and possibly later?

There is no certainty for 2018 entry onwards I'm afraid. We don't know how long it will take for Britain to leave the EU, or what the consequences of that will be for UK universities and/or new students. The University will update it's website with new information as and when it becomes available.
Original post by studentrhume
I am doing Maths, FM, Economics and Music AL and want to apply to the Cambridge Economics course which I understand sees itself as strongly focused on econometrics. Why then does the new ECCA assessment seem to to appeal to those stronger on expansive essays on obscure subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Economics Admissions Assessment has a multiple-choice section with Maths and problem-solving questions, and an essay section. It tries to measure your ability in maths and your ability to interpret a text and write a good essay about it, because you would have to do both of those things as an Economics student at Cambridge. Econometrics is only one of the branches of Economics that we teach here.

The A level subjects you've chosen are good preparation for this.
How do standard age colleges look at mature students? I really love the sound of Clare but I'm worried I would just get chucked in the pool and end up going to a less favoured mature college - would it be safer to just apply for a more favoured mature college? Qualifications wise I'm going to be sitting A-levels and applying for NatSci, so would be directly comparable to standard age applicants in that regard. My GCSEs were taken over 10 years ago, so would they be disregarded?
Hi Peterhouse! I just have two quick questions, I will be applying for economics (2018 entry) and am currently sitting maths ,fm, physics, econ and the workload is manageable, its just that i dont enjoy physics, if I dropped it then would doing 3 a levels count against me(such as at LSE), also do you know roughly what successful applicants average score in the ecaa's were?

Thanks!!
Reply 72
I'm currently taking 4 A levels (in year 13 considering a gap year), and was wondering how helpful having A Level grades will be when applying. This year i applied for medicine, but as the year as gone I've realised I really enjoy studying Biology Chemistry and Maths so i may indeed reapply for medicine, but I'm also strongly considering Bio Natsci as an option. I take 2 unreformed A levels in Maths and RS and would like to know if i get 3A* and a low A in RS (really don't like the subject), would the low A be a problem
Original post by AmeliaLost
How do standard age colleges look at mature students? I really love the sound of Clare but I'm worried I would just get chucked in the pool and end up going to a less favoured mature college - would it be safer to just apply for a more favoured mature college? Qualifications wise I'm going to be sitting A-levels and applying for NatSci, so would be directly comparable to standard age applicants in that regard.

Standard-age Colleges consider mature applicants in the same way that mature colleges do, so you should pick whichever College you like (mature or otherwise) and go for that one!
Original post by AmeliaLost

My GCSEs were taken over 10 years ago, so would they be disregarded?

Yes, qualifications taken over 10 years ago are not taken into account.
Reply 74
Original post by rustyldner
Hi, I am currently in Year 12 and taking Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. I would like to ask what is the average predicted grades that you offer places to for the NatSci Tripos? And if there is an entrance examination how would we best go about revising for it?

Thanks! :smile:

Average is around A* A* A or A* A* A*. This also depends on how well you do in interviews
Original post by moss6
Hi Peterhouse! I just have two quick questions, I will be applying for economics (2018 entry) and am currently sitting maths ,fm, physics, econ and the workload is manageable, its just that i dont enjoy physics, if I dropped it then would doing 3 a levels count against me(such as at LSE), also do you know roughly what successful applicants average score in the ecaa's were?

Thanks!!

Hi!

We only ever require three A level subjects (that goes for any course) and would much ratehr you did really well in three subjects than less well in four. So no, it wouldn't be a problem if you dropped Physics.

If it's ok with you, I'm not going to answer your question about the ECAA - it takes quite a while for me to look it up, and we're dealing with such small numbers that it wouldn't be a statistically significant piece of information.
Original post by thatawesomekid
I'm currently taking 4 A levels (in year 13 considering a gap year), and was wondering how helpful having A Level grades will be when applying. This year i applied for medicine, but as the year as gone I've realised I really enjoy studying Biology Chemistry and Maths so i may indeed reapply for medicine, but I'm also strongly considering Bio Natsci as an option. I take 2 unreformed A levels in Maths and RS and would like to know if i get 3A* and a low A in RS (really don't like the subject), would the low A be a problem

I'm a bit confused on what subjects you're taking - is it Biology, Chemistry, Maths and RS? If so, then the grade you get in RS won't make a difference for either a Medicine or Bio NatSci application, since your science/maths A levels are much more relevant.

If you're thinking of reapplying then I'd recommend asking the College that handled your application for feedback and mentioning that you're considering it - usually they will be honest about whether they think it would be a good idea.
What advice would you give to interview practice and how can applicants improve their performance?
I think that if you reapply you should probably choose a different college. They will be quite likely to remember your application, especially with a small subject like Music.

I think that your AS grades will always be a concern and you should aim to achieve above A*AA at A level to demonstrate strong academic ability.

The University website states that provision of feedback 'is a requirement of the Data Protection Act' at http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/feedback. Many colleges won't provide feedback to applicants directly however and prefer to deal with your UCAS referee - perhaps they could email and ask for feedback?

Think poster is awaiting feedback from the other place and considering Oxbridge reapplication options so perhaps the system at the other place is different?
Original post by wonderland2
Think poster is awaiting feedback from the other place and considering Oxbridge reapplication options so perhaps the system at the other place is different?

We've sent a PM to the poster with full information.

Latest

Trending

Trending