The Student Room Group

Do you think in images, words, or both?

If someone says "cat", do you think of an image of a cat, the word cat, both, or something else?

Personally, I think of an image of a cat, however @shadowdweller says she thinks about the word, but doesn't really see anything. Could this be because I'm more of a visual learner and prefer TV shows, whereas she prefer books?

If someone says a word I don't know, I tend to think of the word though, as I have no image stored for it.

How do you think? Are you on team Bubbles or Shadow? :wink:
I suppose i think in words, don't ever see images, probably why I think I don't dream either.
Reply 2
I only really think in images.

Although one could argue that when you think of a word, you are actually thinking of an image.
Reply 3
It's never really just one thing for me. I'll sometimes think of a word, sometimes think of an image. If someone says Beyonce, I think of an image of Beyoncé. If someone says the word 'revision' I'll think of the word revision. But it happens so quckly and naturally I don't even acknowledge if I think in words or images
Reply 4
Almost always think of the word
I usually say it back to myself in head loads as well

Oh and I hate reading
Reply 5
Images, and I love books.
Both depending on what I'm thinking about.
Original post by BurstingBubbles

If someone says "cat", do you think of an image of a cat, the word cat, both, or something else?

Personally, I think of an image of a cat, however @shadowdweller says she thinks about the word, but doesn't really see anything. Could this be because I'm more of a visual learner and prefer TV shows, whereas she prefer books?

If someone says a word I don't know, I tend to think of the word though, as I have no image stored for it.

How do you think? Are you on team Bubbles or Shadow? :wink:

A combination. It depends on how I'm thinking of something.
I see in words but i'm a visual learner.
I believe I think in a combination of images and words, which makes sense because I love reading, writing and drawing/painting.
All of this is quite confusing, though, because it asks the question 'what is a thought?'. I mean, when thinking to myself I do see images and words, but I also hear that stream of thoughts. So do you hear a thought or do you see it (as images and words)?
Reply 10
Images, likely because I'm mildly dyslexic. Good at solving the geometry puzzles that are present in Organic Chemistry. At school I enjoyed being able to 'visualise' what was actually happening in Physics and Chemistry rather than just looking at a bunch of symbols. So I found Organic Chemistry the perfect combination of Science and Shapes. Solid State Chemistry is really fun as well, you get to play about with unit cells.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm glad this thread has picked up again, as it's really interesting hearing how varied people's thought processes are! Are there many of you that think exclusively in one or the other, or is it mostly mixed? :smile:
Hmm, both to some extent, I think (?) - probably depending on context. I've ready thousands of books but also watch loads of terrible TV so maybe there is something to that theory :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending