The Student Room Group

why do guys not like being called cute??

Like obvs there's a few that don't mind but overwhelmingly, guys think being called cute means nothing.

It can mean you are physically attractive. It doesn't preclude being sexy. Cute means easy on the eyes, pleasant-looking (if we are talking solely about looks, not personality), not necessarily looking underage or something.
Reply 1
Neither do I mind if someone tells me I'm cute. A few girls told me I'm cute but I personally don't believe I'm cute because I've got my own definition of the term 'cute'. Similarly, I don't prefer to tell every girl is cute as long as I don't find a correlation with the definition. It might sound ridiculous to listen to but that's how I look at it.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
I think it’s because when the word cute is used, the image usually evoked are plump dogs, babies, or any animate or inanimate thing that looks round and adorable, which implies innocence and vulnerability. So, I guess the last thing some macho men brimming with testosterone want to be associated with is, innocence and vulnerability.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Do we? I'm a guy and this is news to me...

This does remind me of a pretty funny story though when an (at the time) platonic friend of mine who seemed to have literally less than 0 experience with both relationships and Americanised lingo told me I looked cute in a photo of me dressed as a mouse for a social. I'm pretty sure she was clueless as to how most guys would have interpreted that.
Original post by Anonymous
Like obvs there's a few that don't mind but overwhelmingly, guys think being called cute means nothing.

It can mean you are physically attractive. It doesn't preclude being sexy. Cute means easy on the eyes, pleasant-looking (if we are talking solely about looks, not personality), not necessarily looking underage or something.

It depends on the context and how it's said... I mean, there's "cute" and "cute".

For example if it's said like in American Teen films / dramas (e.g. "mmm, you're cute"), I'm sure most guys would take it as any other word like fit, hot or whatever. However, if it's said in a way like "Awww, you're sooooo cute" (like you were talking about a puppy or a toddler), then yes, I can see why guys would be put off by that... you're basically telling them they're not sexy in any way.

Having said that, I'm sure most guys would take either over being called Ugly lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending