The Student Room Group

Uni application - volunteer work

I want to apply to uni and I've realised that I don't have many 'experiences' that I can put into my application. Lots of my friends went on NCS or are encouraged by their sixthform to help out with the younger years e.g. paired reading. I did not go on NCS and do not get opportunities at my college to do volunteer work so I decided I should start looking for volunteer work that I can do in my spare time. I need some suggestions of what type of volunteer work is available for a 16 year old. I would love for it to involve children as I am currently studying childcare at college and want to take it further at uni. So far the only thing that I've been able to think of is helping out at rainbows/brownies.
Please help :frown:
Original post by April_x
I want to apply to uni and I've realised that I don't have many 'experiences' that I can put into my application. Lots of my friends went on NCS or are encouraged by their sixthform to help out with the younger years e.g. paired reading. I did not go on NCS and do not get opportunities at my college to do volunteer work so I decided I should start looking for volunteer work that I can do in my spare time. I need some suggestions of what type of volunteer work is available for a 16 year old. I would love for it to involve children as I am currently studying childcare at college and want to take it further at uni. So far the only thing that I've been able to think of is helping out at rainbows/brownies.
Please help :frown:

Hiyaaa

Mebbe check out [www.vinspired.com]

Hope this helps!! :h:

(Additional site for awesomeness ["]www.plotr.co.uk])
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by theartofblanks
Hiyaaa

Mebbe check out [www.vinspired.com]

Hope this helps!! :h:

(Additional site for awesomeness ["]www.plotr.co.uk])

Thank you! I will definitely have a look at these :smile:
Original post by April_x
Thank you! I will definitely have a look at these :smile:

Cheers! :rolleyes:
Hi April!

How about some of these ideas:
- Primary school, shadowing/volunteering once a week
- Children's centre and/or nursery
- Babysitting and/or tutoring
- After school clubs
- Are there any church groups around you that run for children? You could maybe volunteer with them
- Any theatre groups in your area
Reply 5
Original post by EmEmTheFairy
Hi April!

How about some of these ideas:
- Primary school, shadowing/volunteering once a week
- Children's centre and/or nursery
- Babysitting and/or tutoring
- After school clubs
- Are there any church groups around you that run for children? You could maybe volunteer with them
- Any theatre groups in your area

Ooh thank you! I can't believe I didn't think of half of these😮 I don't know if this is a stupid question but do you know if all after-school clubs are connected to schools or are some ran independently?

Quick Reply

Latest