The Student Room Group

Phonin if u dont meet the offer?

hmmm if you dont meet the offer...
your told to contact the uni and ask if theyll still accept you?

Err wat exactly are you meant to say?

I mean do they expect you to beg for it
or brag and try and prove yr still a great student
or is it formal and business like where you explain you didnt do as well as you expected and see wat they can do for you?

I know i havent got my offer... but i dont wanna do anythin else.. so this fonecall could b the most essential thin for me

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Dust

or is it formal and business like where you explain you didnt do as well as you expected and see wat they can do for you?

I know i havent got my offer... but i dont wanna do anythin else.. so this fonecall could b the most essential thin for me

They will have already decided whether or not to accept you. The phonecall is basically so you can find out what their decision is. They may offer you another course, say if your offer is for English and Music, and you need AAB, and you get BBC, they may offer single honours Music instead. They can't just change your course like that, without telling you whats going on, so you have to make that phone call so they can inform you of their decision and whether there are any options open to you at that university.
Reply 2
okay that makes sense...

erm have they/do they change theyre mind if u keep pesterin them though?
Reply 3
Dust
okay that makes sense...

A guy at my school really wanted to do economics at Warwick. They rejected him. He got his teacher to write a reference, they ignored it. So he turned up in person and demanded to see the head of admissions. And he got a place.

Bear in mind this was for an offer though, before results came out.
Reply 4
Dust
okay that makes sense...

Last year i missed my offer big time. I had extenuating circumstances but i still did badly. They told me there was nothing they could do. So i kept pestering them until they agreed to defer my offer until the next year. So it can be done.
Reply 5
Dust
okay that makes sense...

It can be done, but they are very likely to stick to their guns

A guy I knew at school was rejected by his Firm, KCL as he had missed the grades. He phoned and was told no. He then got the train into london, and made his case in person to the admissions tutor and was accepted.

Its rare though!
Sarky
Last year i missed my offer big time. I had extenuating circumstances but i still did badly. They told me there was nothing they could do. So i kept pestering them until they agreed to defer my offer until the next year. So it can be done.

Thanks for that. I will ask them if I could defer entry for me if I don't make it. They know already about my situation. If I can't I will ask them if it will be disadvantageous if I stayed on another year at college and re-apply to them. I doubt it would, but would like to hear their views.
Reply 7
NDGAARONDI
Thanks for that. I will ask them if I could defer entry for me if I don't make it. They know already about my situation. If I can't I will ask them if it will be disadvantageous if I stayed on another year at college and re-apply to them. I doubt it would, but would like to hear their views.

I had to agree that i would resit my exams (which i was on plan to do until i got ill again), but had i been able to i would have managed to save my offer which is always a good thing.

However another year of begging awaits me. And two years in a row is never good.
Sarky
I had to agree that i would resit my exams (which i was on plan to do until i got ill again), but had i been able to i would have managed to save my offer which is always a good thing.

However another year of begging awaits me. And two years in a row is never good.

Surely it will be better to say continue in education then just not apply until you're better?
Does anyone know any international students who missed their offers? A friend of mine did (we got one of our results early because we did the CIE board) and we're not really sure how to go about appealling. She's set her heart on the UK, filled in her Visa forms, done her bank account, booked and paid 2100 pounds for hers and her parents' tickets, and bought all the stuff she needs.

She's a brilliant student, with 4As and a B for AS, but she took only 3 subjects this year and she got a C for Bio when she needs AAB.

*sigh*.. I really hope that they are a little more lenient with international students, because it's quite difficult to change plans halfway. *fingers crossed*
Reply 10
NDGAARONDI
Surely it will be better to say continue in education then just not apply until you're better?

Thats what i'm planning to do. Although its not always practical when i have to support myself financially. Part of me still hopes my first choice will be able to accomodate me. I don't want to go through the whole rigamarole of applying for the third time.
Sarky

Thats what i'm planning to do. Although its not always practical when i have to support myself financially. Part of me still hopes my first choice will be able to accomodate me. I don't want to go through the whole rigamarole of applying for the third time.

May I ask which university and which course are you hoping to go to? You see, although some university may not like this, others will because it shows determination that you want to get somewhere in life and you will not give up easily. I think this is important if you are applying to degrees which you need this attitude like law and medicine etc.
Reply 12
NDGAARONDI
May I ask which university and which course are you hoping to go to? You see, although some university may not like this, others will because it shows determination that you want to get somewhere in life and you will not give up easily. I think this is important if you are applying to degrees which you need this attitude like law and medicine etc.

Southampton: firm

Kings: Insurance

Both for their widening access 6yr medical courses.
Reply 13
Dust

If you've been using the UCAS progress tracker, you can also check that on results day to see if your offer is confirmed or not. (I think its open about mid-dayish? Not entirely sure).
Reply 14
Dust

Some advice from the Head of Admissions at Barts and The London - I'm sure it holds for most courses:

Just a quick note to say good luck to you all for next week (also a special well done to those who have already had their results - graduates, IB/EB students and those clever Scots who have done better this year than last year).

A few guidelines for anyone holding a place with us ... (this information applies to all schools though).

1) if you make the grades of the conditional offer you are holding with us then you have a guaranteed place with us (obviously) and this will be confirmed through UCAS. You should be able to see this on Thursday straight away.

2) if you fall one or two grades we may, or may not, be able to take you depending on how many other people achieve their grades - obviously those who get the right grades have to be taken first.

3) if you have slipped grades we will contact you DIRECTLY if we can offer you a place. PLEASE do not try to ring us - we will be calling you first thing Thursday morning if we can give the place to you. Ringing will in any case be futile since it these decisions are made by me and the Associate Dean for Admissions, and we do not take calls during this period. But I promise, I will call you as soon as we can give you good news, if appropriate.

4) please do not turn up at the admissions office - we do not see anyone during this period. Last year several sets of families travelled from far flung places and I'm afraid there really is no point!

5) we do not expect to go into Clearing so please consult the website before ringing - it's very difficult to get through and you will find it much quicker to look at www.qmul.ac.uk to check whether there are places.

5) for all of you who achieve your grades and get into your first choice of medical or dental schools, please stay on the admissions forum if you have time!! - your experience both as an applicant and as a student will be invaluable to others who will be starting that long application process all too soon!

6) finally whilst wishing you all the best of luck there are always disappointments at this time of year. Don't give up if you haven't made it this year (and please don't be abusive to admissions office staff if they cannot give you the place you were holding because you didn't make the grades. We have had death threats. It's very stressful for us too!) Think about graduate entry. Think about a gap year and reapplication. Keep trying. There are lots of excellent graduates or mature students who start medicine a bit later - it's not the end of the world, honestly.

Having said that, GOOD LUCK to you all!
Sarky

Southampton: firm

Kings: Insurance

Both for their widening access 6yr medical courses.

Medical course. Well now I understand your reaction, although surely having medical reasons for your actions which you have no control over, should be understood and not penalised. If so, I find it ironic considering the nature of the course you have applied for :biggrin:
Reply 16
Pencil Queen
The majority of uni's/courses admissions tutors do NOT ring borderline students but make a decision based on their application so far.

Incoming phone calls are generally to confirm the decision to applicants that have missed a grade or in some cases will be used to offer a place on a less popular course.

I don't know of any dept in Soton that phones out on results day (including medicine) - we have 40-80 temporary staff manning a dedicated hotline to recieve calls and pass enquirers who've missed their offers and clearing applicants who've made the minimum entry standard on to the departments themselves.

If you do meet your offer please don't ring.

If you miss your offer by a grade then try checking on the UCAS tracker first - if your case was decided on by Wednesday afternoon then the decision will be showing on Thursday at 11AM when the tracker goes live.

If the tracker is still showing no decision *then* get in touch.

If the tracker is showing rejected AND you have a good reason for the uni to reconsider (an extra exam result not mentioned on UCAS, extenuating circumstances that you feel haven't been properly considered) then get in touch.

If the tracker shows rejected and the only reason you can present is "but I really want a place" I'm afraid ringing your firm choice is unlikely to make any difference (rejections during confirmation aren't made with spite - they're made because a department/uni simply *cannot* accept you...the reasons for which might have nothing to do with your application and everything to do with how well all of their other applicants did in their A levels)...your time would be better spent contacting your insurance and/or checking out clearing vacancies.

There are some excellent vacancies open during clearing and it's worth considering and looking into even if you have your heart set on a course/uni. Nothing in clearing is set in stone until you send off your CEF form so there is plenty of scope to look into things, visit unis and talk to academic staff about courses before you commit yourself to a place.

Best of luck to everyone involved:smile:

A query, Pencil Queen - if you miss your grade by a small margin, your Firm Uni has decided NOT to accept you BUT are going to get a rapid remark (2-3 days) what is the procedure then? What should the individual student or Head of Sixth Form do - contact the Uni direct to let them know what is happening?
Reply 17
steerpike1985
If you've been using the UCAS progress tracker, you can also check that on results day to see if your offer is confirmed or not. (I think its open about mid-dayish? Not entirely sure).

will check.. thanx for that

i dont have a reason for my grades... so i guess that means i;m the typical "i really want a place" person :frown:
Reply 18
NDGAARONDI
Medical course. Well now I understand your reaction, although surely having medical reasons for your actions which you have no control over, should be understood and not penalised. If so, I find it ironic considering the nature of the course you have applied for :biggrin:

Yes that may be true if this wasn't the second year in a row i'd been ill.

Pushing my luck doesn't even come close.
Sarky
Yes that may be true if this wasn't the second year in a row i'd been ill.

Pushing my luck doesn't even come close.

Let us know how you get on. Could you say sacrifice a few years out of education and start afresh and go to university as a mature student? I know someone who studies at OU and works quite a lot because he was told he had three years to live due to cancer. If it passes that limit and he's alive it's highly probable he defeated little c. He's also older than us two no doubt too.

Latest

Trending

Trending