The Student Room Group

Once achieving your A-levels, do GCSEs matter as much??

Hi all!

So, I'm on my second year of A-levels and I'm taking a gap year (I'll therefore be applying for 2018 entry)

Basically, I was just wondering if GCSEs matter as much as they would do at AS once I have achieved my A level grades.

Certain unis have a large emphasis on GCSEs but if you have, let's say, you achive the minimum requirement of AAA, do GCSEs matter. If so, is there still that (large) emphasis?

Thank you!
I depends. King's, for example, considers your grades holistically so even though they're quite GCSE heavy I think that good A level results could outweigh slightly worse GCSEs. (AAA probably wouldn't be high enough though.) Some unis like Oxford and Edinburgh have really rigid scoring structures, and if your GCSEs aren't good enough they couldn't care less if you had 5A* at A level.

If your GCSEs aren't good you just need to do the research to find the unis that fit your strengths. Some unis like Imperial, BSMS and Newcastle mostly focus on your BMAT/UKCAT, Bristol focuses on your PS, and Aberdeen and Dundee score your academics holistically in addition to looking at your UKCAT.

This site is fairly useful although a bit outdated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Info about which Unis want which GCSEs for Medicine here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

Just remember that even if it isnt 'required' that all Unis will still score your 5 or 8 best GCSEs and that this will count towards your overall application score - ie. having weaker GCSEs could easily be the difference between an interview or not. So thinking that GCSEs dont matter or wont matter is a big mistake.
Original post by StationToStation
I depends. King's, for example, considers your grades holistically so even though they're quite GCSE heavy I think that good A level results could outweigh slightly worse GCSEs. (AAA probably wouldn't be high enough though.) Some unis like Oxford and Edinburgh have really rigid scoring structures, and if your GCSEs aren't good enough they couldn't care less if you had 5A* at A level.

If your GCSEs aren't good you just need to do the research to find the unis that fit your strengths. Some unis like Imperial, BSMS and Newcastle mostly focus on your BMAT/UKCAT, Bristol focuses on your PS, and Aberdeen and Dundee score your academics holistically in addition to looking at your UKCAT.

This site is fairly useful although a bit outdated.

Thank you very much. I'll look into the unis in more detail :smile:
Original post by returnmigrant
Info about which Unis want which GCSEs for Medicine here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

Just remember that even if it isnt 'required' that all Unis will still score your 5 or 8 best GCSEs and that this will count towards your overall application score - ie. having weaker GCSEs could easily be the difference between an interview or not. So thinking that GCSEs dont matter or wont matter is a big mistake.

Thank you! It's a little scary how GCSE grades could be the make or break for a place 😅

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending