What does this quote mean? (Law and Morality, Devlin) Watch

DominicRCWC
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
“There are no theoretical limits to the power of the state to legislate against treason and sedition, and likewise I think there can be no theoretical limits to legislation against immorality.” (Devlin 1965)
Mimir
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In theory, the state can legislate anything, even to the extremes in order to prevent treason and immoral laws (such as the killing of the firstborn).

Whether the judiciary would implement it is quite another thing. I imagine this is an essay on Separation of Powers and Rule of Law.
DominicRCWC
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Mimir)
In theory, the state can legislate anything, even to the extremes in order to prevent treason and immoral laws (such as the killing of the firstborn).

Whether the judiciary would implement it is quite another thing. I imagine this is an essay on Separation of Powers and Rule of Law.
I just have to write about whether I agree with it or not. I don't fully understand it because I hate the way these writers (Mill, Devlin, Nussbaum) write. The module is Law, Morality and Society.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (436)
67.39%
No (211)
32.61%

Watched Threads