The Student Room Group

RAF CBAT - a few questions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MattMurphy
Good luck mate, let us know how you do! I'm gonna go through each of the tests and give some tips on here in a bit which you may find helpful.

That's exactly what I've been looking for to be honest. I know you can't prepare much for it as it's more a test of innate ability, according to my friend who had it this week.
Reply 41
Original post by orvillethesheep
That's exactly what I've been looking for to be honest. I know you can't prepare much for it as it's more a test of innate ability, according to my friend who had it this week.

That's true, however a lot of people have also been saying that 2nd time round it's not likely that you'll improve, I beg to differ! After doing the tests, a lot of them you'd get used to after the first few tasks. Coming into it a 2nd time you would know what is expected and I think scores would improve, but that's just me.

After doing the tests I think I could give some good advice, I'm heading out now but check this post later today and I'll get something written up.
Original post by orvillethesheep
Hey guys, I've applied for Int Officer, how long roughly was it between your P2 Pres and CBAT? I've my P2 on the 30th and its getting kinda close to exams now. Had some delays in applying hence why its so late, was recomended by the AFCO to apply in January and it ended up being in late Feb.

I got lucky mate I had my p2 and with 2-3 weeks I was in for CBAT , speaking to a few who I was down there with me it varied from one month to up to 3 months
True, however I don't think I got one of the answers. I was estimating all of them and even guessing some. But I guess estimations are what they're after, as a minute isn't long enough. Winged it! :wink: haha.

Lucky bugger! I must've had the even harder questions then :wink:. They didn't like me very much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by 0902
Lucky bugger! I must've had the even harder questions then :wink:. They didn't like me very much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no, mine were solid! I think they make them like that to see how you handle it and how good your estimations are I guess. Oh well it's over and done with now :wink:
Reply 45
Right, I'm gonna go over the tests and see if I can give people some advice. This isn't in the order you will do it as I believe they change the orders? I may be wrong. Everyone on the day had theirs in the same order as mine though. This is in the same order as the RAF document showing screenshots of each test (google it :wink:) - Use the document for referencing as it may be hard to tell what I'm on about.

AIRBORNE NUMBERICAL TEST:
Honestly, this was a *****. The only advice I can really give on this is to know your SDT (even though my revision didn't really help). Also, estimate your answers. If you sit there working out exactly what it is, chances are you will use up most of your minute allowance per question as there are several different screens you need to check for different weights etc.

ANGLES, BEARINGS & DEGREES:
I just used my hands and put them on the screen, haha! This helped especially with the points near the centre, making it harder to tell. Obviously know your angles, goes without saying.

AUDITORY CAPACITY TEST:
Starts off easy, gets very hard. You get given call signs, to which you have a person talking to you through the headphones. For example, you could get given "Bravo" at the start, then the end test you could have "Bravo" "Tango" "Echo" "Alpha", you must only do the instructions given if they mention your call sign first. To remember this I simply make it into a word, so given the example I used, I would remember "BEAT". This is the only tip I can give really, other than get used to a joystick.

COGNITIVE UPDATING TEST:
You're given 2 panels so you can watch 2 screens at once, and have to flick between each screen updating & turning things on and off, etc. I kept my "Message" screen open and used the other side to constantly flick between the others. Take notice of the "Warning panel" at the top as it will warn you with things like the pressure being too high, etc. Also note that when using the Hydraulic pump, it goes down a lot slower than it goes up! So I would turn it on to get it to the correct pressure, flick to a few screens and it would already be at high pressure, giving me a warning. The rest is self explanatory, just remember all tasks have equal importance.

CLAN (Colours, letters & numbers):
This was okay to be honest. Brush up on mental maths and prioritise. They will give you a letter combination at the top, it'll then disappear, once it's disappeared the diamonds will start moving and the maths will start. They structure it in such a way that it all comes at once. A good tip for remember the letter combination is by making up a sentence, for example "AYBTG", you could make up anything "Are You Bothering To Go"... Silly example but you get it.

DIGIT RECOGNITION TEST:
You're given a string of numbers and asked to remember it. I don't think I remembered one. If you're good at remembering long numbers then fine, but I'm not, so I just looked at the number and tried to quickly evaluate how many of each numbers there were, I got lucky most the time!

DIRECTION AND DISTANCES:
Use the table infront of you. This is hard to do in your head especially in those conditions. Use your fingers as placemarkers.

DYNAMIC PROJECTION TEST:
Probably the most awful test. You're asked to use a radar and navigate different planes by angles. Most of the time I had mine going completely the wrong way and I only managed about 2 gates, so if you screw this up do not worry! Pretty much everyone did. I still don't know whether you judge it by the angles around the edge of by angles depending on what direction the plane is going... As I tried both and it seemed to never work. haha!

INSTRUMENT COMPREHENSION TEST:
Cancellation is your best bet here. Look at the first part of the answers before you even look at the instrument readings. The example in the RAF document shows answers containing "Flying at 220kt" and "Flying at 200kt", there may be questions that all start out the same, if they are, move onto the next part of the question. Anyway, read your speed, if it reads 200, cancel out all the 220's and read the next part. Next is the direction (This is purely based on the example, all tests can differ but the same idea in each), determine which direction the plane is flying, then cancel out again.

NUMERICAL OPERATIONS TEST:
This is just mental maths as quick as you can do it. You will not complete all the questions, believe me. So don't get worked up about that. Google some quick mental maths tricks, as these helped me. For example multiplying 11 by a digit, you add the middle numbers. so 11 x 18, you split 18 and add 1 and 8, which is the middle number.
eg. 11 x 18 = 1(1+8)8, so the answer is 198. This is just one example but it did help believe it or not, as you have to be quick!.

RAPID TRACKING TEST:
This was honestly a lot of fun. It's just like a game. You're in a moving helicopter and you get different targets, you have to move the crosshair to the target, keep it on the target and take 3 pictures of each.
My tip for this is, once you have the target in your crosshair quickly click the trigger 3 times as fast as you can, as it doesn't matter about different angles or anything you just need 3 pictures.

SENSORY MOTOR APPARATUS TEST:
This is where you use the foot pedals as well as the joystick. The joystick is inverted (I know, thats how you fly a plane) but if you're struggling to get your head round that... Simply turn your joystick around! As you only need up & down with the joystick, left & right is controlled with your feet.

SITUATIONAL AWARENESS TEST:
One of the tests where I had my head in my hands. You're given a grid and you have a load of information fired at you, that I swear is impossible to remember. The only tip I can give with this is put your fingers on the screen when things show up, pretty much everyone was doing this in my test. They ask you questions afterwards such as "How many tanks were there?" and "What directions were the fast jets moving?" and "What cell were the troops at?" ... This sucked. I barely remembered any of them, but I think that's how they make the tests. Do not worry.

SPATIAL INTEGRATION TEST:
You're given a few seperate radars, one to show hills & buildings, one for troops, one for a red plane, one for a yellow plane, then also elevations for both planes, then finally a helicopter radar showing its path & height. Just try build a mental picture of the place and try and remember it. You're then shown a 3d representation. The questions are then 50/50 as you have to press red for "inaccurate" and green for "accurate".

SYSTEM LOGIC TEST:
No tips for this, just remember that the information isn't there for you, you have to figure it out by flicking between the different screens. I didn't find this too bad to be honest.

TABLE READING TEST:
This ones an easy one, you're given a piece of paper with a table on it, then each question is your first and second digit, you're asked to find the matching digit on the graph. Don't take your time on this one as they're looking for speed, use your fingers and try match them up as quickly as possible. Type the answer and go to the next question.

TARGET RECOGNITION TEST:
This is mostly for intelligence and involves multitasking. I've got 2 tips for this, it will always start off asking you to identify "Unknown" targets on the map. These are little yellow diamonds, as soon as the question starts find all of them and get them out the way first. The other tip is identifying the system target letter/number combinations. They are all 4 digits, just look at the last 2 digits of what you've been given and scan through, I didn't even look at the seperate numbers I just quickly scanned and it seemed a lot better than reading each number. For example i had KX77 or something like that, I scanned through and saw "77" very quickly.

TRACE TEST 1:
Flying planes, you have to press the arrow keys depending on which way it turns. I used my hand and pretended it was the plane flying, it seemed to make sense in my head easier than looking at the examples.

TRACE TEST 2:
Try not to focus on every plane too much. Just try and figure out which plane goes off the screen first, or which plane dives first, thats the only tip I can give really.

VERBAL LOGIC TEST:
Read between the lines, once again the answer is not standing out the text, it may be on different pages.

This is about as much as I can say really. I hope this helps anyone with their upcoming CBAT's.
Reply 46
Right, I'm gonna go over the tests and see if I can give people some advice. This isn't in the order you will do it as I believe they change the orders? I may be wrong. Everyone on the day had theirs in the same order as mine though. This is in the same order as the RAF document showing screenshots of each test (google it :wink:) - Use the document for referencing as it may be hard to tell what I'm on about.

Honestly, this was a *****. The only advice I can really give on this is to know your SDT (even though my revision didn't really help). Also, estimate your answers. If you sit there working out exactly what it is, chances are you will use up most of your minute allowance per question as there are several different screens you need to check for different weights etc.

I just used my hands and put them on the screen, haha! This helped especially with the points near the centre, making it harder to tell. Obviously know your angles, goes without saying.

AUDITORY CAPACITY TEST:
Starts off easy, gets very hard. You get given call signs, to which you have a person talking to you through the headphones. For example, you could get given "Bravo" at the start, then the end test you could have "Bravo" "Tango" "Echo" "Alpha", you must only do the instructions given if they mention your call sign first. To remember this I simply make it into a word, so given the example I used, I would remember "BEAT". This is the only tip I can give really, other than get used to a joystick.

COGNITIVE UPDATING TEST:
You're given 2 panels so you can watch 2 screens at once, and have to flick between each screen updating & turning things on and off, etc. I kept my "Message" screen open and used the other side to constantly flick between the others. Take notice of the "Warning panel" at the top as it will warn you with things like the pressure being too high, etc. Also note that when using the Hydraulic pump, it goes down a lot slower than it goes up! So I would turn it on to get it to the correct pressure, flick to a few screens and it would already be at high pressure, giving me a warning. The rest is self explanatory, just remember all tasks have equal importance.

This was okay to be honest. Brush up on mental maths and prioritise. They will give you a letter combination at the top, it'll then disappear, once it's disappeared the diamonds will start moving and the maths will start. They structure it in such a way that it all comes at once. A good tip for remember the letter combination is by making up a sentence, for example "AYBTG", you could make up anything "Are You Bothering To Go"... Silly example but you get it.

DIGIT RECOGNITION TEST:
You're given a string of numbers and asked to remember it. I don't think I remembered one. If you're good at remembering long numbers then fine, but I'm not, so I just looked at the number and tried to quickly evaluate how many of each numbers there were, I got lucky most the time!

DIRECTION AND DISTANCES:
Use the table infront of you. This is hard to do in your head especially in those conditions. Use your fingers as placemarkers.

DYNAMIC PROJECTION TEST:
Probably the most awful test. You're asked to use a radar and navigate different planes by angles. Most of the time I had mine going completely the wrong way and I only managed about 2 gates, so if you screw this up do not worry! Pretty much everyone did. I still don't know whether you judge it by the angles around the edge of by angles depending on what direction the plane is going... As I tried both and it seemed to never work. haha!

Cancellation is your best bet here. Look at the first part of the answers before you even look at the instrument readings. The example in the RAF document shows answers containing "Flying at 220kt" and "Flying at 200kt", there may be questions that all start out the same, if they are, move onto the next part of the question. Anyway, read your speed, if it reads 200, cancel out all the 220's and read the next part. Next is the direction (This is purely based on the example, all tests can differ but the same idea in each), determine which direction the plane is flying, then cancel out again.

This is just mental maths as quick as you can do it. You will not complete all the questions, believe me. So don't get worked up about that. Google some quick mental maths tricks, as these helped me. For example multiplying 11 by a digit, you add the middle numbers. so 11 x 18, you split 18 and add 1 and 8, which is the middle number.
eg. 11 x 18 = 1(1+8)8, so the answer is 198. This is just one example but it did help believe it or not, as you have to be quick!.

RAPID TRACKING TEST:
This was honestly a lot of fun. It's just like a game. You're in a moving helicopter and you get different targets, you have to move the crosshair to the target, keep it on the target and take 3 pictures of each.
My tip for this is, once you have the target in your crosshair quickly click the trigger 3 times as fast as you can, as it doesn't matter about different angles or anything you just need 3 pictures.

This is where you use the foot pedals as well as the joystick. The joystick is inverted (I know, thats how you fly a plane) but if you're struggling to get your head round that... Simply turn your joystick around! As you only need up & down with the joystick, left & right is controlled with your feet.

One of the tests where I had my head in my hands. You're given a grid and you have a load of information fired at you, that I swear is impossible to remember. The only tip I can give with this is put your fingers on the screen when things show up, pretty much everyone was doing this in my test. They ask you questions afterwards such as "How many tanks were there?" and "What directions were the fast jets moving?" and "What cell were the troops at?" ... This sucked. I barely remembered any of them, but I think that's how they make the tests. Do not worry.

You're given a few seperate radars, one to show hills & buildings, one for troops, one for a red plane, one for a yellow plane, then also elevations for both planes, then finally a helicopter radar showing its path & height. Just try build a mental picture of the place and try and remember it. You're then shown a 3d representation. The questions are then 50/50 as you have to press red for "inaccurate" and green for "accurate".

SYSTEM LOGIC TEST:
No tips for this, just remember that the information isn't there for you, you have to figure it out by flicking between the different screens. I didn't find this too bad to be honest.

TABLE READING TEST:
This ones an easy one, you're given a piece of paper with a table on it, then each question is your first and second digit, you're asked to find the matching digit on the graph. Don't take your time on this one as they're looking for speed, use your fingers and try match them up as quickly as possible. Type the answer and go to the next question.

TARGET RECOGNITION TEST:
This is mostly for intelligence and involves multitasking. I've got 2 tips for this, it will always start off asking you to identify "Unknown" targets on the map. These are little yellow diamonds, as soon as the question starts find all of them and get them out the way first. The other tip is identifying the system target letter/number combinations. They are all 4 digits, just look at the last 2 digits of what you've been given and scan through, I didn't even look at the seperate numbers I just quickly scanned and it seemed a lot better than reading each number. For example i had KX77 or something like that, I scanned through and saw "77" very quickly.

TRACE TEST 1:
Flying planes, you have to press the arrow keys depending on which way it turns. I used my hand and pretended it was the plane flying, it seemed to make sense in my head easier than looking at the examples.

TRACE TEST 2:
Try not to focus on every plane too much. Just try and figure out which plane goes off the screen first, or which plane dives first, thats the only tip I can give really.

VERBAL LOGIC TEST:
Read between the lines, once again the answer is not standing out the text, it may be on different pages.

This is about as much as I can say really. I hope this helps anyone with their upcoming CBAT's.

Well done for remembering so much and passing on the details!

My brain was dribbling out of my ears at the end of the day and couldn't even provide any meaningful feedback two days after the event.

AUDITORY CAPACITY TEST:

COGNITIVE UPDATING TEST:

DIGIT RECOGNITION TEST:

DIRECTION AND DISTANCES:

DYNAMIC PROJECTION TEST:

RAPID TRACKING TEST:

SYSTEM LOGIC TEST:

TABLE READING TEST:

TARGET RECOGNITION TEST:

TRACE TEST 1:

TRACE TEST 2:

VERBAL LOGIC TEST:

Seconded to what NFI said, brilliant descriptions!!

Just got another 9 months to wait for my third attempt

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty much nailed it mate ,
Wish there was something like this before I sat it as I was totally unaware and probably unprepared for what was to come 👍
Nice one
Reply 49
Original post by NFI
Well done for remembering so much and passing on the details!

My brain was dribbling out of my ears at the end of the day and couldn't even provide any meaningful feedback two days after the event.

Oh mine was too. Think finding out that I'd passed after doubting myself all day perked me up! :smile:

Original post by 0902
Seconded to what NFI said, brilliant descriptions!!

Just got another 9 months to wait for my third attempt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck mate! I hope some of my tips help you out. I'm sure you'll smash it this time.

Original post by jamie010893
Pretty much nailed it mate ,
Wish there was something like this before I sat it as I was totally unaware and probably unprepared for what was to come 👍
Nice one

Me too mate, this is why I thought I'd put a bit of effort into writing it because I've read a lot of mixed things. The glory of the internet.
Reply 50
Congratulations to the lads that have got through so far, its not an easy day is it! I'm starting my reapplication for OASC and always keen to see how other people are getting on and want to pass on some information from my experience last year, and hopefully I won't have to go through CBAT again having passed it first time last year!

The next stage for application is where it all gets real. The interview despite its formality is a gauge of applicant suitability, in the P2 presentation they give you all the information you should need to meet the interview criteria but there are also factors to consider that aren't strictly on a piece of paper.

Take into consideration your body language, do not sit with your hands folded in your lap! From experience it displays over-confidence and depending on how you come across as a person this may not work in your favour, they want confident, not cocky. I had no idea going into the interview, but advice following was to sit with your hands on your knees, or thighs depending on your reach, its unnatural but it displays neutrality.

There are a lot of questions on your school and team involvement, which for me were a little frustrating because I left college in 2005. If its fresh in your memory though, be honest, a little bit of a twist of the truth doesn't hurt, don't feel forced to to big yourself up under pressure. I heard one guy say he had been the editor of a school newspaper which had never happened. So if you do accidentally or deliberately tell them something like that try and sound convincing, or don't do it at all!

By all means get to grips with the areas of selection you're interested in, and know it well, knowing it now also gives you something to build on for the interview process at OASC where you are really required to know your stuff. In particular the RAF bases and how they operate and what operates out of them, particularly the branch in question your looking at, but they will ask you about a random one.

If you're read the papers the easiest thing to go for is something Donald Trump or Brexit related, my advice is to get some of that knowledge on board but also go a little further afield and learn something your interviewer may not already know. They structure their responses on your capability of information delivery and are keen to see how you get your points across. And if you do go down the Brexit route, make sure you have facts and figures! Opinion counts for nothing without hard evidence!

If you have people to go over questions with, try and go over things with them, it will help to articulate yourselves better when the questions are asked because the more times you say "erm" counts against you. Confidence in how you vocalise yourself will go a long way, but also don't take things too seriously, if you can be humorous along the way without seeming to be the "joker in class" type, they will warm to you.

Sorry about the lengthy post - got plenty more insight into the OASC stage too if anyone wants it in the future but in the mean time good luck with the interview, study your stuff and I'm sure you'll be fine!

Ben
Reply 51
Original post by BenHump
Congratulations to the lads that have got through so far, its not an easy day is it! I'm starting my reapplication for OASC and always keen to see how other people are getting on and want to pass on some information from my experience last year, and hopefully I won't have to go through CBAT again having passed it first time last year!

The next stage for application is where it all gets real. The interview despite its formality is a gauge of applicant suitability, in the P2 presentation they give you all the information you should need to meet the interview criteria but there are also factors to consider that aren't strictly on a piece of paper.

Take into consideration your body language, do not sit with your hands folded in your lap! From experience it displays over-confidence and depending on how you come across as a person this may not work in your favour, they want confident, not cocky. I had no idea going into the interview, but advice following was to sit with your hands on your knees, or thighs depending on your reach, its unnatural but it displays neutrality.

There are a lot of questions on your school and team involvement, which for me were a little frustrating because I left college in 2005. If its fresh in your memory though, be honest, a little bit of a twist of the truth doesn't hurt, don't feel forced to to big yourself up under pressure. I heard one guy say he had been the editor of a school newspaper which had never happened. So if you do accidentally or deliberately tell them something like that try and sound convincing, or don't do it at all!

By all means get to grips with the areas of selection you're interested in, and know it well, knowing it now also gives you something to build on for the interview process at OASC where you are really required to know your stuff. In particular the RAF bases and how they operate and what operates out of them, particularly the branch in question your looking at, but they will ask you about a random one.

If you're read the papers the easiest thing to go for is something Donald Trump or Brexit related, my advice is to get some of that knowledge on board but also go a little further afield and learn something your interviewer may not already know. They structure their responses on your capability of information delivery and are keen to see how you get your points across. And if you do go down the Brexit route, make sure you have facts and figures! Opinion counts for nothing without hard evidence!

If you have people to go over questions with, try and go over things with them, it will help to articulate yourselves better when the questions are asked because the more times you say "erm" counts against you. Confidence in how you vocalise yourself will go a long way, but also don't take things too seriously, if you can be humorous along the way without seeming to be the "joker in class" type, they will warm to you.

Sorry about the lengthy post - got plenty more insight into the OASC stage too if anyone wants it in the future but in the mean time good luck with the interview, study your stuff and I'm sure you'll be fine!

Ben

Perfect, cheers Ben! Just been given my dates for my interview. It's on the 18th of April. I'll take all of this into consideration.

A friend of mine has told me to start prepping for OASC now! That makes me pretty scared so I'd love to hear about your experience.
Reply 52

AUDITORY CAPACITY TEST:

COGNITIVE UPDATING TEST:

DIGIT RECOGNITION TEST:

DIRECTION AND DISTANCES:

DYNAMIC PROJECTION TEST:

RAPID TRACKING TEST:

SYSTEM LOGIC TEST:

TABLE READING TEST:

TARGET RECOGNITION TEST:

TRACE TEST 1:

TRACE TEST 2:

VERBAL LOGIC TEST:

Original post by BenHump

Ben

This is a great thread with some really good details for interested applicants. I thank you both for the time and effort you've spent in documenting your experiences of OASC and CBAT!

I myself won't be applying just yet, I want to get a degree and a few years of experience away from home under my belt first, before I put myself forward for consideration for an ABM.

Again, many thanks and I hope you have long and prosperous careers in the RAF!
Reply 53
Original post by BenHump

Ben

Passed my interview yesterday :smile: Really keen on more of an insight into OASC. Kinda sh*tting bricks about that one haha!
Passed my interview yesterday :smile: Really keen on more of an insight into OASC. Kinda sh*tting bricks about that one haha!

Good luck for your time at OASC! (If you haven't already had it). Also, thank you for the insight and tips for the CBAT. I have it in 3 weeks and I feel this has helped me get a better idea of what is to come.
Reply 55
I've got my CBAT on Tuesday and am dreading it. Can't seem to get SDT calculations sorted in my head which isn't helping and although I've been working through SDT.info, I've seen a few posts here saying that the site doesn't really help when you get into the tests. Hoping for a good day but fearing the worst!
Original post by speedy30
I've got my CBAT on Tuesday and am dreading it. Can't seem to get SDT calculations sorted in my head which isn't helping and although I've been working through SDT.info, I've seen a few posts here saying that the site doesn't really help when you get into the tests. Hoping for a good day but fearing the worst!

How did it go?

I have my CBAT in just under 3 weeks (6th of June) and sadly I am going to be spending my birthday melting my brain until it oozes out of my ears! All I am doing is SDT calculations and I feel like I have realised some shortcuts I can take. I have also read that speeddistancetime.info doesn't help at all and it is worrying me slightly! I guess all I can do is turn up and do my best!
Reply 57
Original post by darklegendo
How did it go?

I have my CBAT in just under 3 weeks (6th of June) and sadly I am going to be spending my birthday melting my brain until it oozes out of my ears! All I am doing is SDT calculations and I feel like I have realised some shortcuts I can take. I have also read that speeddistancetime.info doesn't help at all and it is worrying me slightly! I guess all I can do is turn up and do my best!

I passed it mate... only just but scraped in. There's some really good advice on here but from my experience, the only advice I can offer is to not get too disheartened during any of the tests. There was one in particular that I really struggled with and thought I had failed the whole day based on that one test. Once I had a break and spoke to a few others, it seemed that we all had major issues with it so I went back in with a bit more confidence and carried on.
Some tests are dead easy and some not so much but I actually quite enjoyed the day and once you start, nerves go out the window as you'll be completely focused on what's in front of you. Good luck mate
Original post by speedy30
I passed it mate... only just but scraped in. There's some really good advice on here but from my experience, the only advice I can offer is to not get too disheartened during any of the tests. There was one in particular that I really struggled with and thought I had failed the whole day based on that one test. Once I had a break and spoke to a few others, it seemed that we all had major issues with it so I went back in with a bit more confidence and carried on.
Some tests are dead easy and some not so much but I actually quite enjoyed the day and once you start, nerves go out the window as you'll be completely focused on what's in front of you. Good luck mate

Congrats, what role are you applying for?
Just got back from CBAT with a score of 130, applying for Pilot.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to This thread - very helpful content!

Quick Reply

Latest