The Student Room Group

RAF application and Travelling

I’m in a situation where I’ve just finished Uni and am currently travelling the world (places I’ve visited/planning to visit: Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, South East Asia) for up to 18 months. (Not sure if it makes a difference but I’ve also been an army reservist back home for several years but have been granted the LOA to travel.)
On my return home I want to transfer to the full time RAF and apply as an officer (namely the Personnel training officer). However I know being out of the country this long has its complexities.

I’ve spoken to AFCO and it was somewhat helpful, but couldn’t give me much information due to me not actually starting the application process yet.

Has anyone been in a similar position to me and could give me advice about what the waiver of residency will involve, what countries might hinder my chances of being eligible etc? Besides Australia, I’m not planning to work anywhere else, just being a typical post-grad backpacker, so will be staying in hostels and moving round frequently- as long as I keep a thorough itinerary of every hostel I’ve stayed at, will this be adequate, or will this make my application less likely to get accepted? I’m more than happy to change my plans slightly but obviously also want to utilise this opportunity before starting a proper career!

Once again, I know they review waivers case-by-case, but any info on how to get over this obstacle would be much appreciated!
Original post by CLilyH
I’m in a situation where I’ve just finished Uni and am currently travelling the world (places I’ve visited/planning to visit: Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, South East Asia) for up to 18 months. (Not sure if it makes a difference but I’ve also been an army reservist back home for several years but have been granted the LOA to travel.)
On my return home I want to transfer to the full time RAF and apply as an officer (namely the Personnel training officer). However I know being out of the country this long has its complexities.

I’ve spoken to AFCO and it was somewhat helpful, but couldn’t give me much information due to me not actually starting the application process yet.

Has anyone been in a similar position to me and could give me advice about what the waiver of residency will involve, what countries might hinder my chances of being eligible etc? Besides Australia, I’m not planning to work anywhere else, just being a typical post-grad backpacker, so will be staying in hostels and moving round frequently- as long as I keep a thorough itinerary of every hostel I’ve stayed at, will this be adequate, or will this make my application less likely to get accepted? I’m more than happy to change my plans slightly but obviously also want to utilise this opportunity before starting a proper career!

Once again, I know they review waivers case-by-case, but any info on how to get over this obstacle would be much appreciated!

I don't think there are any higher than standard security requirements for Pers Admin, as there are for IntO or Aircrew for example, so that's a help. The issue comes with countries that don't have what the UK considers a strong police system, plus if that is combined with a high crime rate (drug trafficking!). What the recruitment process usually requires is a letter of confirmation from the local police that you weren't involved in any crime - so that's probably what you need to research.

Been a while since I've dabbled with this though, @Surnia is bound to know more :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
I don't think there are any higher than standard security requirements for Pers Admin, as there are for IntO or Aircrew for example, so that's a help. The issue comes with countries that don't have what the UK considers a strong police system, plus if that is combined with a high crime rate (drug trafficking!). What the recruitment process usually requires is a letter of confirmation from the local police that you weren't involved in any crime - so that's probably what you need to research.

Been a while since I've dabbled with this though, @Surnia is bound to know more :smile:

Hi!
Thanks for the reply, that’s very helpful 🙂
I don’t suppose if you know whether I would need a police report from every country I visit, or just ones I’ve visited for over a certain amount of time?
I remember reading somewhere it’s only on places you’ve spent longer than 6 months, but I’m not sure how reliable that source was!
Original post by CLilyH
Hi!
Thanks for the reply, that’s very helpful 🙂
I don’t suppose if you know whether I would need a police report from every country I visit, or just ones I’ve visited for over a certain amount of time?
I remember reading somewhere it’s only on places you’ve spent longer than 6 months, but I’m not sure how reliable that source was!

I'm afraid I'm not close enough to the system to know that.
Reply 4
Sorry, I'd missed the tag. I'm in the same position as TPD as I've been out of the recruitment loop for too long.

I can only vaguely remember 1 applicant who'd had a period of travelling and working abroad; my staff dealt with his paperwork, so hazy on details. The main thing i recall is him providing police reports, and them needing to be in English, which they weren't! I got more involved in a drug waiver for this person...

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Quick Reply

Latest