The Student Room Group

RAF application for pilot

Subject: Seeking Advice for RAF Pilot Application - CBAT Test and Interview

I am currently in the process of applying for the RAF pilot role and am seeking guidance on the upcoming CBAT (Computer-Based Aptitude Test) and interview stages.

As I prepare for the CBAT test, I am curious about the specific skills and attributes that the RAF looks for in successful candidates. Are there any particular areas I should focus on during my preparation, and are there resources or practice materials you would recommend?

Additionally, I am eager to excel in the interview stage and would appreciate insights into what the interview panel typically evaluates. Are there specific qualities, experiences, or knowledge areas that I should highlight to strengthen my interview?

Thank you in advance for your time and support.
Reply 1
Plenty of CBAT help if you search this site or just Google it. I don't know how useful they are as I've never used them. When I joined every applicant did computer-based tests, no opportunity to practice, and I passed everything. However, remember it's about aptitude, ie inate ability; some people have it, some don't and practice doesn't always make perfect.

Again, plenty of info available about interviews if you look, though TSR doesn't allow information that is too specific so as not to give an unfair advantage. I will say use what you put on your application and highlight your leadership potential. There are set questions asked; answer them, don't deviate too much and be honest.
Original post by Watiki

I am currently in the process of applying for the RAF pilot role and am seeking guidance on the upcoming CBAT (Computer-Based Aptitude Test) and interview stages.

As I prepare for the CBAT test, I am curious about the specific skills and attributes that the RAF looks for in successful candidates. Are there any particular areas I should focus on during my preparation, and are there resources or practice materials you would recommend?

Additionally, I am eager to excel in the interview stage and would appreciate insights into what the interview panel typically evaluates. Are there specific qualities, experiences, or knowledge areas that I should highlight to strengthen my interview?

best thing to use: too much information CBAT. Search it on Google and a full guide comes up.

Hope this helps😀
Original post by Watiki

For the interview part, watch https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yar1frppopI
it is a guide for RAF interview question and answers. Also, dress smart.
Reply 4
There’s also the ‘CBAT Ready’ app which has tests very similar to that of those in the test.
Haven't done Cranwell however I have sat AIB for the Navy and AOSB for the Army, I assume the interviews for the air force will be a similar format. Basically there are 3 people of different ranks who will interview you. Normally they do a good cop bad cop sort of thing. As one interviewer will be very nice, ask easy questions, one will be fairly quiet, and the other will be aggressive and challenging. They will ask you easy questions to start off like where you were born what are your hobbies etc. Why you want to join to warm you up a little. Then the second half starts off very aggressive which is the purpose; to test probing, and how stressed out you get. This challenging part will focus on your motivation, and they will try to contradict you, put words in your mouth etc. Just remain calm and friendly as this is the point. It is the sort of thing where you could say the sky is blue, and they would ask: "why isn't it green?". I know dosen't make sense but as long as you remain calm and logical you will be fine. They will grill you extensively on foreign affairs and what your solutions are to certain global conflicts and moral issues. Again another grilling where they try to challenge you. But biggest tip is to stand your ground but be flexible enough to realise if your logic is flawed and they have made you seen the alternate side. When I was on selection for RM Officers the commanding officer (bad cop) would always rub his face in frustration and seem like what your saying does not make sense. Thought I was messing up real bad until I found out he did it to everyone on selection.

Hope this helps.
They are primarily ask these questions however (this was a very common trend so make sure these answers are polished up): what leadership experience do you have? What is the greatest challenge you have set yourself? just generic officer stuff really. remember that although the pilot role might not seem particularly "officer", you are an officer at the end of the day so have to demonstrate those skills. However be good at the basics. And also never say you are a "good leader" just say you have leadership experience. One lad said that and got absolutely rinsed relentlessly.

Pretty much search up the values and standards of whichever branch you want to join (honour, integrity etc.) and try form an answer that links an experience you've had which demonstrates those values.

another thing that also cauhgt a lot of people out including me was the questions: What is leadership? sounds simple but I would recommend you do some proper study into this as it can be tricky.

Quick Reply

Latest