The Student Room Group

KCL or UCL?

Hi, I'm a prospective undergraduate weighing between the following KCL and UCL courses:

KCL:
Economics
Political Economy
International Development

UCL:
Economics
PPE

I'm looking for a career either in the public sector or in business. In terms of prestige, location, and the courses of each school listed above (eg UCL economics faculty is better), which school and course do you think is better for me?
What are your grades at GCSE and A level?
Reply 2
Original post by JaqenH'gar
What are your grades at GCSE and A level?

Am a student applying from Singapore taking my A's this year. Not sure how it applies haha since I only had GCE O Level, not GCSE. I'm just finding out whether which course is better, regardless of my results.

I'm now considering between KCL Political Economy and UCL Economics. In terms of prestige, rigour (whether it is too mathematical, etc), or style of teaching, how do they differ and which one is better.

Also, are there any other courses in other unis which revolves around econs and politics, but not too mathematical?
Original post by Oktov
Am a student applying from Singapore taking my A's this year. Not sure how it applies haha since I only had GCE O Level, not GCSE. I'm just finding out whether which course is better, regardless of my results.

I'm now considering between KCL Political Economy and UCL Economics. In terms of prestige, rigour (whether it is too mathematical, etc), or style of teaching, how do they differ and which one is better.

Also, are there any other courses in other unis which revolves around econs and politics, but not too mathematical?

Economics at UCL is very maths intense. Political economy is much less so. It's mainly politics but there is a fair amount of Econ in there. There is government and economics at LSE and also Econ history which has little maths but really Econ based. UCL also has history politics and economics at the Slavonic school of studies of your interested in Russia and eastern Europe. Imo though political economy at KCL is an incredible department taught by people who are the best in their field. The pay at UCL is about £5000 higher though for grads so bear that in mind.
Political Economy (and PPE) have a good reputation and background at KCL. The single Economics course is new (previously it was either Economics and Management or Political Economy, plus various joint honours) so the jury is out on how you'll fare in terms of economics specific options (I think they're currently having more "outside" options from political economy and related, which while relevant may not be of interest). I have no idea about the International Development.

PPE at UCL is quite new (like in the last two years or so I think), being offered through their formerly graduate department of public policy. It doesn't seem to have much collaboration with the economics department there, although the philosophy and politics modules look to be drawn from their respective departments, as well as the public policy institute itself. It also seems less quantitative in the traditional manner (more data based than analytical quantitative-ness). This may be more or less appealing based on your interests and background. Their Economics department is fairly well received as you noted, although they have more of an emphasis on applied economics than the more carefully analytical form of e.g. LSE or Warwick Economics.

For public policy based things, both PPE courses, or Poltiical Economy (and I imagine, for international trade/development based things, the International Development course) at KCL, would be ideal. For business I'd suggest Economics at UCL, or either Economics (and Management possibly) or maybe PPE at KCL (as this has more of a history than at UCL).

UCL is perhaps more "academically" prestigious but over the last few years KCL has been quite consistently highly rated by students. Additionally both are generally well received by City firms and businesses.
Reply 5
Do you think that a successful KCL student in undergraduate has the same opportunities for masters than a UCL or LSE student?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending