The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I doubt that sometime in the future there won't be... Although with the present amount of nuclear weapons, it wouldn't be so much a 'world' war, as a 'who-can-fire-the-biggest-nuclear-bomb-at-our-enemy' war.
Reply 2
there will be one soon, the "why dont u be a muslim" thread is why there will be one/// religion and religious fundamentalism is always trying to destroy the secular world/
Reply 3
MuniE
there will be one soon, the "why dont u be a muslim" thread is why there will be one/// religion and religious fundamentalism is always trying to destroy the secular world/

I agree wid dat the muslim lunatics are crazy enuff and with iran tryin 2 get nukes i think it may be muslims who kick it off
What is the criteria for a war to be labelled a world war?
Reply 5
NDGAARONDI

I would say a conflict that covers at least 3-4 countries and involves the regional powers from every continent
Reply 6
NDGAARONDI

like the previous World Wars where the West is threatened and everyone mucks in
Reply 7
ColdFire

http://www.uk-learning.net/t40142.html :smile:
Reply 8
Reply 9
ColdFire
sory im new

No problem :smile:
ColdFire

Are there any historians out there? I would like to know a proper answer, no offence :biggrin:
Reply 11
NDGAARONDI
Are there any historians out there? I would like to know a proper answer, no offence :biggrin:

Since World War 2 was a war between the Allies (Australia, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Czechoslovakia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Ethiopia, France, Greece, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, India, Iran, Iraq, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Philippines, Poland, South Africa, United Kingdom, United States, USSR, Yugoslavia) and the Axis (Albania, Bulgaria, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Rumania, Slovakia and Thailand i think my first answer was right.
ColdFire
Since World War 2 was a war between the Allies (Australia, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Czechoslovakia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Ethiopia, France, Greece, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, India, Iran, Iraq, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Philippines, Poland, South Africa, United Kingdom, United States, USSR, Yugoslavia) and the Axis (Albania, Bulgaria, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Rumania, Slovakia and Thailand i think my first answer was right.

There were more countries involved than that, there's a post someone on it which mentioned Sudan and that.

Still doesn't answer my question :tongue:
Reply 13
NDGAARONDI

world war

n : a war in which the major nations of the world are involved

Noun 1. world war - a war in which the major nations of the world are involved
war, warfare - the waging of armed conflict against an enemy; "thousands of people were killed in the war"
First World War, Great War, War to End War, World War 1, World War I - a war between the allies (Russia, France, British Empire, Italy, United States, Japan, Rumania, Serbia, Belgium, Greece, Portugal, Montenegro) and the central powers (Germany, Austria-Hungary, Turkey, Bulgaria) from 1914 to 1918
Second World War, World War 2, World War II - a war between the Allies (Australia, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Czechoslovakia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Ethiopia, France, Greece, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, India, Iran, Iraq, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Philippines, Poland, South Africa, United Kingdom, United States, USSR, Yugoslavia) and the Axis (Albania, Bulgaria, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Rumania, Slovakia, Thailand) from 1939 to 1945

Wikipedia
A world war is a military conflict affecting the majority of the world's countries. World wars usually span multiple continents, and are very bloody and destructive.

The term is usually used to refer to World War I (1914–1918) and World War II (1939–1945). Both wars involved some degree of participation from most of the world's existing countries, specially through the colonial empires of Great Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Japan, besides the United States and the Soviet Union.

Other wars in earlier periods that saw conflict across the world have been considered world wars by some, including the Seven Years' War (1756–1763; Winston Churchill called it "the first world war" in his History of the English Speaking Peoples), the French Revolutionary Wars (1792–1802) and the Napoleonic Wars (1803–1815).

There is some disagreement on whether there have been any world wars since 1945. "World War III" was widely used to refer to a hypothetical nuclear war between the Soviet Union, the United States and their allies. "World War III" has also been used to refer to the Cold War (1945–1990) and to the War on Terrorism. "World War IV" was used by Professor Eliot Cohen to refer to the War on Terrorism. However, the consensus currently seems to be there have been only two proper World Wars.

Since the conclusion of World War I, known as "the war to end all wars", international organizations have been developed to prevent the outbreak of new wars. The League of Nations was established after World War I, and collapsed with the outbreak of World War II, after which the United Nations was formed.

This article is a copy of the article on Wikipedia.org - the free encyclopedia. It is distributed under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License.
Reply 14
ColdFire
Will there be a World War 3? if yes where will it start, who will start it and why?

It will probably start in the middle east and/or Asia. It will be started by muslims in conjunction with north korea. They will start it to kill all Americans and destroy all the other governments they don't like.
Mr Moncal
world war

n : a war in which the major nations of the world are involved

Noun 1. world war - a war in which the major nations of the world are involved
war, warfare - the waging of armed conflict against an enemy; "thousands of people were killed in the war"
First World War, Great War, War to End War, World War 1, World War I - a war between the allies (Russia, France, British Empire, Italy, United States, Japan, Rumania, Serbia, Belgium, Greece, Portugal, Montenegro) and the central powers (Germany, Austria-Hungary, Turkey, Bulgaria) from 1914 to 1918
Second World War, World War 2, World War II - a war between the Allies (Australia, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Czechoslovakia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Ethiopia, France, Greece, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, India, Iran, Iraq, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Philippines, Poland, South Africa, United Kingdom, United States, USSR, Yugoslavia) and the Axis (Albania, Bulgaria, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Rumania, Slovakia, Thailand) from 1939 to 1945

Wikipedia
A world war is a military conflict affecting the majority of the world's countries. World wars usually span multiple continents, and are very bloody and destructive.

The term is usually used to refer to World War I (1914–1918) and World War II (1939–1945). Both wars involved some degree of participation from most of the world's existing countries, specially through the colonial empires of Great Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Japan, besides the United States and the Soviet Union.

Other wars in earlier periods that saw conflict across the world have been considered world wars by some, including the Seven Years' War (1756–1763; Winston Churchill called it "the first world war" in his History of the English Speaking Peoples), the French Revolutionary Wars (1792–1802) and the Napoleonic Wars (1803–1815).

There is some disagreement on whether there have been any world wars since 1945. "World War III" was widely used to refer to a hypothetical nuclear war between the Soviet Union, the United States and their allies. "World War III" has also been used to refer to the Cold War (1945–1990) and to the War on Terrorism. "World War IV" was used by Professor Eliot Cohen to refer to the War on Terrorism. However, the consensus currently seems to be there have been only two proper World Wars.

Since the conclusion of World War I, known as "the war to end all wars", international organizations have been developed to prevent the outbreak of new wars. The League of Nations was established after World War I, and collapsed with the outbreak of World War II, after which the United Nations was formed.

This article is a copy of the article on Wikipedia.org - the free encyclopedia. It is distributed under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License.

Thanks! I never knew people labelled the Cold War as a World War.
Reply 16
ColdFire
Will there be a World War 3? if yes where will it start, who will start it and why?

I think it will start when an unstable country e.g. Iran/N.Korea develops nuclear weapons and sells them to the highest bidder (on ebay or at a similar auction), the winning bidder (international terrorists/Islamic extremists) will then nuke America and America (George Bush) will make the clever decision to nuke whatever country they think are harbouring the terrorists, killing us all in the process.
Can't dismiss the possibility of conflict involving a major power in the future - but between major powers or anything beyond regional in scope?

I just can't imagine scenarios.

Hopefully the world will be too enveloped by interconnected profits one day to go to war.
Dajo123
I think it will start when an unstable country e.g. Iran/N.Korea develops nuclear weapons and sells them to the highest bidder (on ebay or at a similar auction), the winning bidder (international terrorists/Islamic extremists) will then nuke America and America (George Bush) will make the clever decision to nuke whatever country they think are harbouring the terrorists, killing us all in the process.

You're all thinking in the box. Methinks it is much more likely that war starts due to oil or water.
You know that when Saudi Arabia stopped oil exports a few decades back the Americans immediately drew up plans to invade and seize the oil fields. (UK was desperate to disuade them) Their reasoning being that no-one could hold resources from America.
I reckon that sooner or later the same will happen once more, and the world will be faced with achoice. Let the US get away with it, or retaliate with force.

Just look at Venezuala. Current president uped the amount of oil exports to carribean and S.American countries (at a discount) rather than make more money by selling to the US. Then 2001 (i think) there was an attempted coup which the US immediately 'recognised' as a legitamate government. Luckily it didn't last and he got reinstated. But it shows just how corrupt the US values are when it comes to their own interests.
J
WW3 will most likely come about as a result of China.

Latest

Trending

Trending