The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
an Siarach
I would hope that we would not allow it either.

I am generally against military intervention in many situations.
You might excuse me for seeing double standards by many powerful nations.
ColdFire
Will there be a World War 3? if yes where will it start, who will start it and why?

Yep it'll be on pay-per-view on Fox next year. It'll be started by the US although they will blame someone else, it will happen in the middle east or asia (depending on what will get the biggest ratings). It will star the President of the US as the hero, UK Prime minister as the faithful but dumb sidekick and some tinpot dictator who is ungrateful for being put in power by the US as the evil, evil baddy, with supporting roles filled by the rest of the world.
LifeWired
I am generally against military intervention in many situations.
You might excuse me for seeing double standards by many powerful nations.

I see double standards and hypocrisy everywhere and generally politics sickens me however when it comes to supporting a people from having their freedom taken away we should certainly intervene.
Reply 43
ChemistBoy
Yep it'll be on pay-per-view on Fox next year. It'll be started by the US although they will blame someone else, it will happen in the middle east or asia (depending on what will get the biggest ratings). It will star the President of the US as the hero, UK Prime minister as the faithful but dumb sidekick and some tinpot dictator who is ungrateful for being put in power by the US as the evil, evil baddy, with supporting roles filled by the rest of the world.

This is eerily more accurate than you realise!
Reply 44
an Siarach
Its more a Chinese obsession with Taiwan, or to put it more accuractely, a Communist obsession with the last bastion of Chinese democracy to have survived the (continuing, if rather cold) civil war. China have plans to invade Taiwan within the next couple of decades, something the US most likely would not allow. Taiwan could be as important to future world history as Czechoslovakia was in the 30s.

what right does the US have with what form of government another country takes up?

of course china has plans to invade Taiwan, just like Taiwan has plans to invade the mainland. Since they're both considered themsleves to be the legitimate chinese goverment. The only problem is that Taiwan obviously can't do it anymore and the US rather have an Ally in the area then an enemy.

unification has always been China's main target, it doesn;'t aumatically mean war, but its an option.
LifeWired
This is eerily more accurate than you realise!

Not really. There is no superpower in the Middle East nor is there one in the rest of the world who would support any part of the Middle East against the US. If there is a third WW it will not start there(certainly not in the forseable future.)
Reply 46
an Siarach
I see double standards and hypocrisy everywhere and generally politics sickens me however when it comes to supporting a people from having their freedom taken away we should certainly intervene.

That is of course a matter of opinion, and coming from 'democratic' nations we are free to express that. However there is no right to intervene, and no strong moral justice for wars based on political ideology.

In any case, there's no oil in Taiwan...

Intervention is dangerous based on righteousness.
Fly By
what right does the US have with what form of government another country takes up?

None however when a nation asks for help defending itslef against an aggressor which would take away the government elected by the people of the nation...

Fly By
of course china has plans to invade Taiwan, just like Taiwan has plans to invade the mainland. Since they're both considered themsleves to be the legitimate chinese goverment. The only problem is that Taiwan obviously can't do it anymore and the US rather have an Ally in the area then an enemy.

Taiwan is moving rather more towards declaring itself as a seperate state rather than holding on to dreams of reconquest and would most likely already have declared itself as such were it not for the communist promise of war if they were to do so.

Fly By
unification has always been China's main target, it doesn;'t aumatically mean war, but its an option.

Yes and if unification means the forced repatriation and loss of democratic rights held by those who remain outwith the sway of communism who are we to care?
Reply 48
an Siarach
Yes and if unification means the forced repatriation and loss of democratic rights held by those who remain outwith the sway of communism who are we to care?

I'm not certain if you understand the full history of Taiwan? This is essentially a renegade province! The fact that the US decided to back them is their own choice though now I am slipping into highly debatable waters. You are still basing your justification to intervene on your political righteousness, that is still not a solid ground! Add to that the rammifications of what you are suggesting.
LifeWired
I'm not certain if you understand the full history of Taiwan? This is essentially a renegade province! The fact that the US decided to back them is their own choice though now I am slipping into highly debatable waters. You are still basing your justification to intervene on your political righteousness, that is still not a solid ground! Add to that the rammifications of what you are suggesting.

I am well aware of the history of Taiwan and the communists describe it as a renegade province yes, this does not make it so. If anything mainland China is renegade as the government of Taiwan is the democratic Goverment of China before the civil war. Even if it were a renegade province in the sense you use its irrelevant as that would not change the fact that the people of Taiwan would lose their freedom should Chinese unification occur under the sway of the communist government. The rammifications of what i am suggesting are exactly concerned with the title of this thread - the possibility of WW3. As i have pointed out communist aggression towards the democratic Chinese of Taiwan would be a direct challenge to American authority, this is what makes the Taiwanese situation so dangerous.
Reply 50
an Siarach
None however when a nation asks for help defending itslef against an aggressor which would take away the government elected by the people of the nation...

Taiwan is not a nation, if i get loads of people together in lets say texas and declare ouselves independent coz we dont like teh governemnt there america aint gonna stand for it. we cant ask other countries to help us either.

an Siarach

Taiwan is moving rather more towards declaring itself as a seperate state rather than holding on to dreams of reconquest and would most likely already have declared itself as such were it not for the communist promise of war if they were to do so.

shows your ignorance in the details of the matter, most taiwanese people still consider themselves chinese and most do not want independence.

an Siarach

I alreayd said this doesnt have ot be war. when they day comes, things would have been worked out.

One Country, Two Systems.
Reply 51
an Siarach
lose their freedom should Chinese unification occur under the sway of the communist government

I can see your political opinions are cast in iron so I can't really debate that. I'm sure we will see over the next 2 decades the outcome of this however, time will tell.
Fly By
Taiwan is not a nation, if i get loads of people together in lets say texas and declare ouselves independent coz we dont like teh governemnt there america aint gonna stand for it. we cant ask other countries to help us either.

True though you could just as easily say that the mainland of China is not a nation either (perhaps not, the scandalous decision of the UN to recognise the communists as a legitimite government may affect this.

Fly By
shows your ignorance in the details of the matter, most taiwanese people still consider themselves chinese and most do not want independence.

Yawn. The fact they consider themselves chinese is irrelevant (not to mention incorrect, most consider themselves taiwanese in the latest poll and would favour full statehood of their own.)

Fly By
I alreayd said this doesnt have ot be war. when they day comes, things would have been worked out.

One Country, Two Systems.

Were talking about the possibilty, not the certainty. Of course it doesnt have to be war, i was merely pointing out that assuming the likelyhood of WW3 the China-Taiwan situation is the most likely cause in the forseable future.
Reply 53
an Siarach, would it not be easier to simply say you wish democracy to be imposed on every non-democratic nation in the world?
Reply 54
an Siarach
True though you could just as easily say that the mainland of China is not a nation either (perhaps not, the scandalous decision of the UN to recognise the communists as a legitimite government may affect this.

thats your personal opinion, but the truth is that the UN does regonize the mainland is the leegitimate government and it's governemt "represents" 1.2billion of the chinese people. you seem to have more of a problem with them being communists rather then whats true. turning china into a democracy would simply not work this time.

an Siarach

Yawn. The fact they consider themselves chinese is irrelevant (not to mention incorrect, most consider themselves taiwanese in the latest poll and would favour full statehood of their own.)

thanks for yawning :rolleyes:
the fact that they consider themselves chinese is absolutely revelent. but they also consider themselves taiwanese. just like the people of hong kong consider themselves to be chinese and hong kongers.

in the latest poll most people do NOT want statehood, they would rather have the status quo. that is a huge difference.

an Siarach

Were talking about the possibilty, not the certainty. Of course it doesnt have to be war, i was merely pointing out that assuming the likelyhood of WW3 the China-Taiwan situation is the most likely cause in the forseable future.

ok, i guess you're right. but i was just reacting to your tone from previous posts saying "china rise up against the whole of the west"
LifeWired
an Siarach, would it not be easier to simply say you wish democracy to be imposed on every non-democratic nation in the world?

You come this conclusion by the fact i think WW3 may come about as a result of China-Taiwan? Thats some powerful deductive reasoning you have there.
Reply 56
an Siarach
You come this conclusion by the fact i think WW3 may come about as a result of China-Taiwan? Thats some powerful deductive reasoning you have there.

Yes, I truely pulled a rabbit out of the hat there.

Unless you aren't being consistent :rolleyes:
Fly By
ok, i guess you're right. but i was just reacting to your tone from previous posts saying "china rise up against the whole of the west"

I see what you mean. As i say i was simply pointing out the situation there as having a lot of potential for conflict in the futre. As to the way the taiwanese view themselves i definately read that they considered themselves as taiwanese rather than chinese now, though i cant recall exactly where (the times i think) where did you come across the info for the latest poll?
LifeWired
Unless you aren't being consistent :rolleyes:

I think a rabbit is more likely.
Reply 59
an Siarach
I think a rabbit is more likely.

Naturally :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending