The Student Room Group

Scared I'm going to fail first year medicine - HELP!!

I'm a first year medical student at Cambridge, and I am struggling a lot with the course. Ive started my easter Holidays now and I am worried that I may fail - there just seems too much to do over easter! Any tips on revising for Medical school? Especially anatomy - we have to do upper limb, lower limb, thorax and abdomen plus embryology all for one set of summer exams !!
Hey, try not to get too stressed out (easier said than done!)
Plan your work schedule with breaks, make sure to actually take those breaks because it's easy to not and then you can feel really overwhelmed.
I always find it helps to revise in the way the examine, especially if I don't think I'll get through it all. For example, we have MCQs and EMQs and some stuff is obvious how they would test in in that format... I hope that makes sense haha, like good EMQs for Paeds would be 'the child with a limp' or the different epileptic syndromes.

In terms of anatomy this thread might help - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=856077. Again it depends on how you're examined, if it's spot tests then looking at lots of prosections/ tutorials can help. If it's just written then wrote learning and lots of mmenomics helps. Thinking of anatomy in general ways can help as well to not get bogged down in the specifics i.e. most of the extensor muscles of the forearm originate from the lateral epicondyle.

You could also ask medic friends how they revise? If that will help - nothing spreads faster than medic stress and gossip.
Original post by water3
I'm a first year medical student at Cambridge, and I am struggling a lot with the course. Ive started my easter Holidays now and I am worried that I may fail - there just seems too much to do over easter! Any tips on revising for Medical school? Especially anatomy - we have to do upper limb, lower limb, thorax and abdomen plus embryology all for one set of summer exams !!

I found Cambridge first-year really difficult.

I guess just make a timetable and stick to it. Make sure you don't get disheartened and procrastinate etc. Just keep working hard!

Use the easter holiday wisely, and work as hard as you can.
Reply 3
Thanks guys, I've started work today but still worried that there's so much to get through. Just a question: does anyone find flash cards helpful? I'm trying to make flash cards on all lectures and the learn from them
Reply 4
Original post by water3
Thanks guys, I've started work today but still worried that there's so much to get through. Just a question: does anyone find flash cards helpful? I'm trying to make flash cards on all lectures and the learn from them

I used netters and grays anatomy flash cards in first year to give me an idea of what i needed to learn, they have the letters on the diagram and the answers on the back so you can test yourself.
When I was studying (law, not medicine (yet)) I found the best advice was to not worry about what might happen, and to focus on what I could do about it. Simple I know but once I got that mindset I found I could develop an effective plan and put it into effect rather than worrying about it all.

If you would like and it will help I have a pdf copy of the Gray's Anatomy flash cards. I could email you a copy to save you writing some out?
Reply 6
Don't know if it's the same at Cambridge as it is here at Oxford but I was advised not to revise everything in detail. Only to pick a selection of topics to prepare for the final exams. This in mind; I have combed through the syllabus, selected topics I think are most likely to come up or will be most useful to learn (after looking at past exam questions), started to make notes including diagrams for the anatomy and then will write large generalised essay plans for all of these topics.

Hope this helps
Reply 7
I found Netter's flash cards are very useful for anatomy. The general anatomy ones are good, but the specific sets (such as musculoskeletal ones) are more detailed.

Then again, anatomy isn't really assessed on my course, so there may be other resources that other people have used.
Original post by Duane2501
When I was studying (law, not medicine (yet)) I found the best advice was to not worry about what might happen, and to focus on what I could do about it. Simple I know but once I got that mindset I found I could develop an effective plan and put it into effect rather than worrying about it all.

If you would like and it will help I have a pdf copy of the Gray's Anatomy flash cards. I could email you a copy to save you writing some out?

Any chance you still have those saved and okay with sending me a copy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending