The Student Room Group

Failing university

last year I was withdrawn from my business course after failing 2 of modules for the second time,I managed to appeal my withdrawal and was allowed to sit for another reassessment for my 2 modules earlier this year, we are now in October and I’m yet to hear anything in regards to returning to lectures or my results of the last reassessments. I’ve been pestering my head of department and yet all I’m getting told is that it’s up to the university board to decide if I should be allowed to continue and still yet to hear anything I’ve been feeling so down about it. My dream has always been to graduate and make my parents proud of me but as it stands I currently have 80 credits I doubt any university will take me unless I start from year 1 all over again but I don’t have funding to start again from year 1. Being the first born of an African family my parents are on me to get back into university and graduate. I just feel so lost and confused could really do with some advice😭
Reply 1
Original post by Tchanney
last year I was withdrawn from my business course after failing 2 of modules for the second time,I managed to appeal my withdrawal and was allowed to sit for another reassessment for my 2 modules earlier this year, we are now in October and I’m yet to hear anything in regards to returning to lectures or my results of the last reassessments. I’ve been pestering my head of department and yet all I’m getting told is that it’s up to the university board to decide if I should be allowed to continue and still yet to hear anything I’ve been feeling so down about it. My dream has always been to graduate and make my parents proud of me but as it stands I currently have 80 credits I doubt any university will take me unless I start from year 1 all over again but I don’t have funding to start again from year 1. Being the first born of an African family my parents are on me to get back into university and graduate. I just feel so lost and confused could really do with some advice😭

sorry to hear about this. but you can try Open University
I've moved the thread to the Uni Life section where you may get more responses, (it was in the medicine section previously, and you note that you are taking a business course).
Reply 3
Original post by humazhs
sorry to hear about this. but you can try Open University

Really? You think they would take me?
Reply 4
Really? You think they would take me?

I am pretty sure. they do credit transfer from any uni, so ideally, you wouldn't be starting from year 1.
But just to be sure, it is better to call them and confirm this.

Wait dont jus transfer onto the open univeristy without thoroughly thinking about ittt..i get it u must be stressed but why dont u just drop out n apply thru ucas again n start from scratch this way u will have more experience and will be more prepared etc..theres nothing wrong with taking a gap year...what uni r u at and what subject r u studying if u dont mind me asking
Reply 6
Original post by humazhs
I am pretty sure. they do credit transfer from any uni, so ideally, you wouldn't be starting from year 1.
But just to be sure, it is better to call them and confirm this.

alright thank you so so much
Reply 7
Original post by Miri6378d7xu
Wait dont jus transfer onto the open univeristy without thoroughly thinking about ittt..i get it u must be stressed but why dont u just drop out n apply thru ucas again n start from scratch this way u will have more experience and will be more prepared etc..theres nothing wrong with taking a gap year...what uni r u at and what subject r u studying if u dont mind me asking

I’ve been thinking about this but like I’m scared about what my parents will think😭 studying business with marketing at Canterbury Christ church
so - to be clear - you do not have the results of your re-assessments BUT you are already making decisions based on the assumption you have failed?

You need to check your Uni regulations but you may be allowed to continue even if you failed reassessment in year 1.

- ring Student Services, they should be able to tell you the rules and also your status as a student - it may be that you are being re-enrolled right now or will be offered the opportunity to retake the year if you want to.

The Head of Department won't be told first about stuff like this, that's not their job
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ChiefBrody
so - to be clear - you do not have the results of your re-assessments BUT you are already making decisions based on the assumption you have failed?

You need to check your Uni regulations but you may be allowed to continue even if you failed reassessment in year 1.

- ring Student Services, they should be able to tell you the rules and also your status as a student - it may be that you are being re-enrolled right now or will be offered the opportunity to retake the year if you want to.

The Head of Department won't be told first about stuff like this, that's not their job

True, I just feel like because it’s taking so long that I’ve failed😭 I have reached out to student support and they came sending me back to my head of department that’s why I’m so confused
Sorry to hear about his, it must be very stressful

It might not be "student support" that know the answer, at my Uni the "admissions" manage who is enrolled, who is due to be enrolled etc.

Decisions like this (usually?) have to be ratified by Academic Board, which is a formality around how Unis are run - if that hasn't met to consider your case then you will have to wait.

Again at my Uni we expect a few reassessments every summer (as a tutor I get about 2 weeks to mark them, then another week or so for moderation - so we are ready for the summer academic board which convenes to make these decisions).

You will not be the only person in this situation, there will be a process and it will have been designed to complete its decisions in good time - the only risk would be if you submitted late and the marking wasn't finished for summer board - again admissions team should know
I’ve been thinking about this but like I’m scared about what my parents will think😭 studying business with marketing at Canterbury Christ church

Dw i was in a similar position too so i get what u meannn by u can potentially damage ur future jus because ur scared of ur parents reaction....i do understand thoo like dont get me wrong but they might jus get mad for a few days n then they will go back to normal once u explain to them that u have learnt from ur mistake n u have a plan going forward...

Idkk much about business studies but if ur considering going to OU i think most of ur studies will be remote...again im not sure u could double check tht and studying remotely isnt easyyy it requires a lot of dedication motivation and u will miss out on a lot of opportunities for example careers fairs at uni one to one support networking etc
Good luck
Reply 12
last year I was withdrawn from my business course after failing 2 of modules for the second time,I managed to appeal my withdrawal and was allowed to sit for another reassessment for my 2 modules earlier this year, we are now in October and I’m yet to hear anything in regards to returning to lectures or my results of the last reassessments. I’ve been pestering my head of department and yet all I’m getting told is that it’s up to the university board to decide if I should be allowed to continue and still yet to hear anything I’ve been feeling so down about it.

What concerns me here is that we're now well into October, and I suspect teaching will already have started for the new academic year. So it does seem very unfair if teaching has started at your university and you still don't know whether you're still a student there.

You need to find out when the next meeting is of the board that will make that decision. If it's not imminent, then I suggest you ask explicitly what will happen about the teaching you're missing, and whether you'll be expected to take year out (assuming you're allowed to progress) and start in September/October 2024.

I would suggest you contact your Student Union for support to see if they can help. You might want to look at your university's student complaints process.
Reply 13
Original post by martin7
What concerns me here is that we're now well into October, and I suspect teaching will already have started for the new academic year. So it does seem very unfair if teaching has started at your university and you still don't know whether you're still a student there.

You need to find out when the next meeting is of the board that will make that decision. If it's not imminent, then I suggest you ask explicitly what will happen about the teaching you're missing, and whether you'll be expected to take year out (assuming you're allowed to progress) and start in September/October 2024.

I would suggest you contact your Student Union for support to see if they can help. You might want to look at your university's student complaints process.

Yes, exactly my issue too, I did say this to my head of department but she just said we’ll have to wait and see what the board will decide🤦🏾*♀️
Reply 14
Original post by Miri6378d7xu
Dw i was in a similar position too so i get what u meannn by u can potentially damage ur future jus because ur scared of ur parents reaction....i do understand thoo like dont get me wrong but they might jus get mad for a few days n then they will go back to normal once u explain to them that u have learnt from ur mistake n u have a plan going forward...

Idkk much about business studies but if ur considering going to OU i think most of ur studies will be remote...again im not sure u could double check tht and studying remotely isnt easyyy it requires a lot of dedication motivation and u will miss out on a lot of opportunities for example careers fairs at uni one to one support networking etc
Good luck

Thanks for the advice🤝🏾

So sad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending