The Student Room Group

Should i be worried/quit medicine?

So I'm currently in y1 of med. I completed a foundation year and successfully passed it and proceeded onto y1. Its been about 10 weeks since I've started y1 and i honestly cant keep up with the pace of the lectures. I feel the fy did not prepare us for this. I'm now only up to date with weeks 1-4 of the medicine content (after going through so many flashcards). i was hoping to catch up with the rest of the content (from weeks 5-10) in the December holidays but unfortunately we have our mock due before the holidays in December. its put so much unnecessary stress on me and i know for a fact that I will fail this mock exam regardless of how much i study because of the way its set before the holidays. usually for the previous year and with alevels/gcse's we would typically have mocks after holidays, giving us time to catch up and study but that doesn't seem to be the case for medicine. anyways I feel drained out and I regret wasting my time making notes and not spending the time actually studying them and going over them as flashcards sooner. Is it okay if I end up failing the mock, if I catch up in the holidays - so that im prepared for the actual summative in May? I feel like things are going to harder from here which is also putting me off from medicine. I honestly cant see myself dealing with this much stress for the next 5+ years. But I know I will be more stressed out/unhappy if I quit medicine as I know personally (from experience) that I will struggle to find any job besides a role as a bank HCA :/
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Original post by AlevelReject68
So I'm currently in y1 of med. I completed a foundation year and successfully passed it and proceeded onto y1. Its been about 10 weeks since I've started y1 and i honestly cant keep up with the pace of the lectures. I feel the fy did not prepare us for this. I'm now only up to date with weeks 1-4 of the medicine content (after going through so many flashcards). i was hoping to catch up with the rest of the content (from weeks 5-10) in the December holidays but unfortunately we have our mock due before the holidays in December. its put so much unnecessary stress on me and i know for a fact that I will fail this mock exam regardless of how much i study because of the way its set before the holidays. usually for the previous year and with alevels/gcse's we would typically have mocks after holidays, giving us time to catch up and study but that doesn't seem to be the case for medicine. anyways I feel drained out and I regret wasting my time making notes and not spending the time actually studying them and going over them as flashcards sooner. Is it okay if I end up failing the mock, if I catch up in the holidays - so that im prepared for the actual summative in May? I feel like things are going to harder from here which is also putting me off from medicine. I honestly cant see myself dealing with this much stress for the next 5+ years. But I know I will be more stressed out/unhappy if I quit medicine as I know personally (from experience) that I will struggle to find any job besides a role as a bank HCA :/

No you definitely should not quit this early on in the game. It is perfectly normal to feel behind and not keeping up- this is medicine and you are barely weeks into the first year of the course. It's a lot to learn and take in. You will not be alone in this respect, I can assure you.

You have the festive holidays to catch up. Don't sweat it. Just keep doing the lectures and keep hammering out those flashcards. It is a big shift in the pace and method of learning. You might as well give the formative December exam a go and see how you do. Some people score well, others less so. This is AOK and this is precisely why there is a formative exam in the first place.

It is perfectly normal to not feel that enamoured with the course content in year 1. For some people they will have already studied much of once or twice already. It passes though, I can promise you.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by ErasistratusV
No you definitely should not quit this early on in the game. It is perfectly normal to feel behind and no keeping up- this is medicine and you are barely weeks into the first year of the course. It's a lot to learn and take in. You will not be alone in this respect, I can assure you.

You have the festive holidays to catch up. Don't sweat it. Just keep doing the lectures and keep hammering out those flashcards. It is a big shift in the pace and method of learning. You might as well give the formative December exam a go and see how you do. Some people score well, others less so. This is AOK and this is precisely why there is a formative exam in the first place.

It is perfectly normal to not feel that enamoured with the course content in year 1. For some people they will have already studied much of once or twice already. It passes though, I can promise you.

Thank you! I found your reply really reassuring. Thanks!
Thank you! I found your reply really reassuring. Thanks!

Which Uni are you attending? If you need more specific advice you can PM me.

The hardest part of medicine is in believing you can do it, I can assure you of that.

Hey, first year medic here too. If it makes you feel any better, you're not the only one in this position. I'm also overwhelmingly behind on content by about three weeks, with assignments due next week too. A lot of other people on my course I've spoken to are in the same boat, and I'm sure this is the same nationwide. You've worked hard to get to this point, so you can do this. :smile:
Imposter syndrome is very real isn't it?

I can assure you that you are absolutely not alone. Term 1 of year 1 is often the hardest as it is such a shift in pace and method of learning. To be fair is quite hard on the teaching staff too. They know that everybody is starting in different basis of knowledge, they are having to try and bring everybody along at the same time with out losing anybody along the way.

You could think of the formative exam as being as much a test of how well they are doing their job and of how well the cohort is starting to have broadly similar understanding as it is to help you gain an understanding of how you are doing.

Some will do well, some ok, and some will do less well. That is the nature of exams. Afterwards it is an excellent opportunity to reflect on how you have done, and importantly what you have done to learn, and how you might wish to enhance or adjust / mix up your study skills approach moving forwards. Anki works, but not for everyone, and if you skip a bit or miss a day or two it can feel like an impossible hill to climb.

Speak to others on your course and no doubt you will find others are feeling the same. Talk to them about their study approaches. If you have med parents on your course,ask them, or any friendly (or not) 2/3 year. Or post in the current med students and Doctors forum on TSR and ask others for hints and tips. None of this means that you can't do it. You can. You just have to remind yourself you can.

Good luck with the exam. And spare a thought for all the other students who are having their Christmas holidays ruined by having to study for summative exams in the Jan window !
(edited 4 months ago)
Imposter syndrome is quite common and perhaps is even to be expected when studying for any professional qualification. For some it might crop up a number of times, maybe throughout their Uni course, maybe not. Maybe it will crop up during your foundation years, maybe not. However, this is perfectly normal and is no reason for alarm. The more you learn about medicine and the more experience you have of it, the greater insight you will have into things that could could go wrong and the number of 'known unknowns' will increase. This will actually benefit you in the long run because you'll likely adopt a very conscientious way of working and that enhances patient safety.

I have worked with a wide range of professionals in my life and have also worked in healthcare long enough to tell you that what is not so good is an overly confident or even cavalier attitude. Firstly, because in an understandably risk averse environment no one is going to gravitate toward someone with that attitude which means it will have negative consequences for team productivity and secondly, it has obvious potential to erode patient safety.

There will undoubtedly be people working in many professional roles today who get pangs of imposter syndrome even now despite the fact they have been qualified for many years. Think of it as a professional conscience and take it as a sure sign you are professionally invested in your work.

Just remember, thousands of other people are in exactly the same boat and you are going to grow and develop over time and be a very different person by the completion of your training.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by ErasistratusV
Imposter syndrome is quite common and perhaps is even to be expected when studying for any professional qualification. For some it might crop up a number of times, maybe throughout their Uni course, maybe not. Maybe it will crop up during your foundation years, maybe not. However, this is perfectly normal and is no reason for alarm. The more you learn about medicine and the more experience you have of it, the greater insight you will have into things that could could go wrong and the number of 'known unknowns' will increase. This will actually benefit you in the long run because you'll likely adopt a very conscientious way of working and that enhances patient safety.

I have worked with a wide range of professionals in my life and have also worked in healthcare long enough to tell you that what is not so good is an overly confident or even cavalier attitude. Firstly, because in an understandably risk averse environment no one is going to gravitate toward someone with that attitude which means it will have negative consequences for team productivity and secondly, it has obvious potential to erode patient safety.

There will undoubtedly be people working in many professional roles today who get pangs of imposter syndrome even now despite the fact they have been qualified for many years. Think of it as a professional conscience and take it as a sure sign you are professionally invested in your work.

Just remember, thousands of other people are in exactly the same boat and you are going to grow and develop over time and be a very different person by the completion of your training.

Very interesting and valuable perspective.
Reply 9

After all of the hard work to get into med school you’re going to just give it up?? Nobody said it’s easy but med school is a long tough degree and you need to be tough to get through it. Who hasn’t failed an exam in their time? It’s ok, if u fail dust urself off and prepare for the next exam u got this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending