The Student Room Group

Resit if fail first year module in Durham University

What happens if I fail a first year module? Will I be allowed to resit? I did not submit an SAC form. Did anyone resit an exam before? I'm scared that I would be kicked out. Thanks!
Original post by avocatfly
What happens if I fail a first year module? Will I be allowed to resit? I did not submit an SAC form. Did anyone resit an exam before? I'm scared that I would be kicked out. Thanks!

Hi @avocatfly,

I know here at BCU, there is chance to re-sit a failed first year module but I’m unsure if that applies to all universities.
I would try not to worry about any outstanding grades you’re waiting for, but if you’re unsure about what happens with a failed module, I would get in touch with your tutor to confirm.

Hope this helps,
Emily
Student Ambassador at Birmingham City University
Reply 2
Original post by avocatfly

I don't know how Durham work, but if you've failed only one first module I think it would be highly unusual not to be allowed a second attempt. That second attempt will normally be capped at a pass mark (usually that's 40%) but that would allow you to proceed to the second year.

At most universities the first-year mark isn't counted towards the final classification (or, if it is, it's only a very small proportion of the overall mark).

For an official answer, you'll need to check Durham's regulations on progress.

If you're concerned, talk to your personal tutor.
I'm pretty sure your first year doesn't count towards your final score at Durham, i would probably recommend talking to someone at the uni or doing the resit if you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending