The Student Room Group

WJEC GCSE English Language and Literature

There are lots of new spec English threads out there, but very few can cater for WJEC candidates, so I thought I'd make a place where we can discuss predictions, grade boundaries and help each other out, as a lot of people are struggling with the new spec Language. :h:

Introduce yourself! Say your target grade for Language and Literature and a strength and a weakness of yours in English. :biggrin:

I'm Tombre. I'm hoping for a double A* in English, as it always was my best subject (until the Sciences took over in the last year or so). I also want to do A Level English Literature (alongside Biology, Chemistry and Physics). My strengths are Literature essays and the writing section of Language. Something I'm struggling with are the "what" questions in Language Section A.
Hi!

We've spoken before about maths (we both got A*A*), not sure about English though....what do you think about grade boundaries?

My teachers seem to think that it'll be 90% for an A* - I personally think that this is extremely unrealistic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by JacobPowell
Hi!

We've spoken before about maths (we both got A*A*), not sure about English though....what do you think about grade boundaries?

My teachers seem to think that it'll be 90% for an A* - I personally think that this is extremely unrealistic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! :biggrin:

I did reply to your thread about great boundaries and originally my teacher said 80% for an A*, however in the past few week (since the mocks we did) she has raised it to 90% and she said she'll be very surprised if it's much lower but is hoping that it will be about 80-85% in reality. I agree that this is so unrealistic, new specs usually start off with low boundaries that increase with the life of the spec, sooo I have no idea what to expect. :s-smilie:

How are you finding Language?
I dislike language and I find it hard to revise it.
I did the PiXL curve exams and got 132/160(83%) which I was reasonably happy with. My coursework should bring up my grade, as I got 94% in that. Did you do these PiXL exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I dislike language and I find it hard to revise it.
I did the PiXL curve exams and got 132/160(83%) which I was reasonably happy with. My coursework should bring up my grade, as I got 94% in that. Did you do these PiXL exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too, I struggle with revising for it, although I do enjoy the writing section of Unit 2, as I've always enjoyed creative writing.
Well done, you got a great mark! I reckon with the real grade boundaries you would have got an A*. I don't know about curve, but I did do two sets of PiXL exams. . The first was for homework (before we started doing the English Language course) and I think I got 135/160 and then we did another set as mock exams and I got 140/160 (88%), which I was really pleased with (although being 4 marks of an A* was frustrating). I'm not sure about my controlled assessments, I know I got 35/40 on the group task, but I'm unsure about the presentation.
How are people in your year finding English Language? Are they doing well/badly on the whole?

I'm just trying to gauge how people in other schools are doing to try and figure out grade boundaries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
My school reckons about 80% for an A but doesn't want to give us a % for A*, i think because it depends on the cohort more than the 'main' grades do. Some of us are finding it pretty okay generally, but some are getting really stuck on the 19thC texts. We had a really hard sample text recently that I think only about half the class actually understood! :eek:
Reply 7
How are people in your year finding English Language? Are they doing well/badly on the whole?

I'm just trying to gauge how people in other schools are doing to try and figure out grade boundaries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's honestly so mixed. I'd say majority of people are on a B (70%), but there are still quite a few As and A*s, but a few Cs and some Ds. I'm in the higher end of people with A*A in my Unit 2 and 3 mocks. What about your school?
Reply 8
Original post by ilon
My school reckons about 80% for an A but doesn't want to give us a % for A*, i think because it depends on the cohort more than the 'main' grades do. Some of us are finding it pretty okay generally, but some are getting really stuck on the 19thC texts. We had a really hard sample text recently that I think only about half the class actually understood! :eek:

That sounds sensible. We haven't actually come across any 19thC texts... Oh no. I'll have to do some individual practise in case we don't cover any in class. Although, I'm not too worried about it, I'm usually fine with that sort of thing. Are you coping well with them?
Reply 9
Original post by Tombre
That sounds sensible. We haven't actually come across any 19thC texts... Oh no. I'll have to do some individual practise in case we don't cover any in class. Although, I'm not too worried about it, I'm usually fine with that sort of thing. Are you coping well with them?

I think so. I have it in my head I struggle with the cross analysis question as I sort of lose track of what I'm writing about. I keep getting better marks than I think I'm going to though, which is great :biggrin: Hopefully I'll do okay in June...

That's really weird if you haven't, it's half of the second paper! You are in Y11 right? Maybe you've just had easier to understand examples and not realised how old they are? :s-smilie: Some of the example papers have easier ones in (we've had one about frugality, and another about balloon rides!)
Original post by Tombre
There are lots of new spec English threads out there, but very few can cater for WJEC candidates, so I thought I'd make a place where we can discuss predictions, grade boundaries and help each other out, as a lot of people are struggling with the new spec Language. :h:

Introduce yourself! Say your target grade for Language and Literature and a strength and a weakness of yours in English. :biggrin:

I'm Tombre. I'm hoping for a double A* in English, as it always was my best subject (until the Sciences took over in the last year or so). I also want to do A Level English Literature (alongside Biology, Chemistry and Physics). My strengths are Literature essays and the writing section of Language. Something I'm struggling with are the "what" questions in Language Section A.

Hi, I'm doing the wjec eduqas course and I am getting C/B for assessment answers (homework). I am putting in a lot of effort, but there must be something I'm not doing. I struggle with the structure and evaluating questions; I really don't know how I'm going to answer them in 15 minutes when I'm sat in the exam. I also find that I don't read, enough, with insight. Have you studied different types of irony like dramatic and situational? How is this supposed to help me?
Reply 11
Original post by ilon
I think so. I have it in my head I struggle with the cross analysis question as I sort of lose track of what I'm writing about. I keep getting better marks than I think I'm going to though, which is great :biggrin: Hopefully I'll do okay in June...

That's really weird if you haven't, it's half of the second paper! You are in Y11 right? Maybe you've just had easier to understand examples and not realised how old they are? :s-smilie: Some of the example papers have easier ones in (we've had one about frugality, and another about balloon rides!)

Well done! I'm sure you'll do great!

I think we may be doing specifications... Are you with WJEC Eduqas? I believe they include 19th century texts, whilst with WJEC (Wales) they don't tend to. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Tombre
Well done! I'm sure you'll do great!

I think we may be doing specifications... Are you with WJEC Eduqas? I believe they include 19th century texts, whilst with WJEC (Wales) they don't tend to. :smile:

Ohh okay, yeah I'm with EDUQAS, I forget there are two different types of WJEC! :colondollar:
I'm hoping for a double A* too, I've done well in literature so far(full UMS in unit 1 yay) but we literally have been taught nothing for the language. Are there any resources available??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending