The Student Room Group

Parents send children to school with cold Macdonalds Happy Meal for lunch

Scroll to see replies

Original post by She-Ra
Disagree - they have a duty of care.

Kids are not going to be productive or energised when being fueled by utter rubbish....

Well surely they will be even less energised if they have had the food they do have confiscated.

If they want to dictate what they eat, they should provide it.

Where do you draw the line? Should schools get a say in what they eat at home? Should schools get a say in children's bed time? Should employers dictate what their employees eat?

Just because it may affect school (even though it doesn't really make much difference) doesn't mean they get to control it.
Reply 61
nothing wrong sending s kid to school with a day old happy meal [so long as it got heated right through in the microwave before putting it in the lunchbox]

I buy often buy cooked ready to eat chicken, eat some of it that day, leave the rest out, the next day heat it up in the microwave till it's steaming, ...and then eat it, and i've NEVER got ill from it.

mc donalds is unhealthy, but so long as the kid is only getting the happy meal on the rare occasion, I don't see the issue.
Original post by She-Ra
Full story here via Huffington Post

Yikes, a cold maccies for lunch.... gross right?

Worse still the Happy Meal was purchased the night before.....

This story comes from a primary school in Kent, the headteacher is unhappy about the number of unbalanced packed lunches being given to kids by their parents.

What did you you get given for your packed lunch? :cookie:

Never had one, only when I was like 4 maybe :/
Original post by Robby2312
I don't see why it's any of the schools business.They are there to teach not to control what the kids eat.They should stick to doing their job.

What a child eats, or indeed has eaten before school, affects their ability to learn and a teacher to teach.

I think calling the food from McDonalds a Happy Meal is awful, cold or hot.
Original post by Sammylou40
That sounds ok. Our schools allow nothing but water to drink and crisps, biscuits and dippers are not allowed.
I think it's bad to ban all these things. They all have to be in moderation. If they're banned kids will go mad on them when they can get them themselves
And seriously, don't they have better things to do than check lunch boxes to ensure they haven't had something twice in a week?!

To be fair, as long as you pack a 'balanced lunch' you're mainly left alone. It's a trade off as they want to make sure the kids actually eat, but if you're sending in nothing bit chocolate buttons and park scratchings you'll get a word in your ear as it's not right and not giving the children the energy to learn either. I know my eldest doesn't 'do' fruit for example, so he gets a carton of fruit juice every day. They're 1 of his 5 a day so that works, alongside a few breadsticks, a sarnie, wrap or a sausage roll and something sweet, I think that's giving him enough energy for the afternoon while still allowing him to not have to eat something he doesn't necessarily like. It's my job to provide his lunch, and even at home I usually follow the same formula, I'm not going to give him nothing but junk at home.....but maybe he's more likely to have a chocolate bar! lol
Original post by aimlou83
To be fair, as long as you pack a 'balanced lunch' you're mainly left alone. It's a trade off as they want to make sure the kids actually eat, but if you're sending in nothing bit chocolate buttons and park scratchings you'll get a word in your ear as it's not right and not giving the children the energy to learn either. I know my eldest doesn't 'do' fruit for example, so he gets a carton of fruit juice every day. They're 1 of his 5 a day so that works, alongside a few breadsticks, a sarnie, wrap or a sausage roll and something sweet, I think that's giving him enough energy for the afternoon while still allowing him to not have to eat something he doesn't necessarily like. It's my job to provide his lunch, and even at home I usually follow the same formula, I'm not going to give him nothing but junk at home.....but maybe he's more likely to have a chocolate bar! lol

Well said. A common sense parental approach.
And " they" reckon we don't know what we're doing!
I don't agree at all with the mcd's but when our areas' schools started this we had a bit of a fish and chips at lunchtime protest going on. Sitting outside the gates. It's a shame my boys weren't there anymore. They're far too old I would have loved to protest in that way!!! Salt n vinegar, yum
i eat a regular balanced meal wit veggies and ice cream on top of a creme de tollos with a side menu of jerk chicken and mashed fudge more over i ate ann apple
When I went to primary school there was a stall full of 10p bags of crisps, sweets, panda pops etc which the year 6s would take turns to be on. The dinner ladies would think nothing of some kids buying 3 packets of crisps & a cherry flavour panda pop after their lunch.

Don't remember anyone ever bringing in crap for their lunch though.
Original post by sr90
When I went to primary school there was a stall full of 10p bags of crisps, sweets, panda pops etc which the year 6s would take turns to be on. The dinner ladies would think nothing of some kids buying 3 packets of crisps & a cherry flavour panda pop after their lunch.

Don't remember anyone ever bringing in crap for their lunch though.

Those types of tuck shops are long gone. Now you may have a 'fruit stall' in school - the local junior school has this - where you can buy fruit, cartons of juice, boxes of raisins and the like for a few pence. It is handy as it means that the kids can buy what they fancy, rather than a mushed up banana that has to live in their bag/lunch box. In infants they get a snack provided by the government, which we supplement if we want to by giving 50p a week and my boys get milk or water to drink, plus a choice of fruits. Any money left over goes on the end of term party :-D As far as I'm aware, even in senior school they don't have vending machines etc any more, although I believe the food available is a lot more varied.

To be honest, as long as my boys eat, I'm happy. If I have to make sure I've not put crisps in every day, well so be it. I'd rather they didn't prescribe lunch contents as I feel that this is more a comment on society as a whole rather than my particular parenting style. It's sad, if even in today's society, people are either so ignorant or apathetic about their children's well being that they need packed lunch guidance.

Quick Reply

Latest