The Student Room Group

What can I do if I fail all my gcses?

What are the options if I fail all my gcses? I have been off for most of my year 11 year of school due to severe anxiety. I am now staying at home and revising for my English, maths and science exams in 5 weeks time. But I am behind and still catching up on work.

I am very worried about failing all my gcses as we haven't got long left now. I have just been to my first meeting with CAMHS and am now on a short waiting list to start therapy.

Before I was off I was targeted at A/B in all my subjects and now I will be lucky if I get a C. What can i do if I fail as I really don't want to have to sit year 11 again as it will make my anxiety worse.

Would love to see if anyone has any advice for me or suggestions.
Put this in the GCSEs forum
Reply 2
Retaking your GCSE exams, apprenticeships, and an Access to Higher Education diploma (the latter especailly if you want to go to university).
Original post by Amazon_123456
What are the options if I fail all my gcses? I have been off for most of my year 11 year of school due to severe anxiety. I am now staying at home and revising for my English, maths and science exams in 5 weeks time. But I am behind and still catching up on work.

I am very worried about failing all my gcses as we haven't got long left now. I have just been to my first meeting with CAMHS and am now on a short waiting list to start therapy.

Before I was off I was targeted at A/B in all my subjects and now I will be lucky if I get a C. What can i do if I fail as I really don't want to have to sit year 11 again as it will make my anxiety worse.

Talk to your teachers and exam officer so they can consider the merits of making an application for special circumstances where you can be allowed an extra 1-5%.

For the moment just agree to organise yourself and work as hard as you can as you still have scope to learn a lot and do well.

In the event you fail then you could either:

1. Ask your school if they will allow you to resit he year again.
2. Just resit exams.
3. Its useful if you get Maths and English, but in any event you can apply for apprenticeships.
4.Go to college to do other vocational qualifications.

For now worry less and just focus on doing your best.
Reply 4

The Pomodoro technique is really useful in terms of revision, as it helps you stay focused and be productive: "The process is simple. For every project throughout the day, you budget your time into short increments and take breaks periodically. You work for 25 minutes, then take break for five minutes. After four “pomodoros” have passed, (100 minutes of work time with 15 minutes of break time) you then take a 15-20 minute break." - http://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/the-pomodoro-technique-is-it-right-for-you.html

Learn your learning style. There's a really great website here - http://learning-styles-online.com/overview/ - which explains each learning style and gives you a variety of different ways to revise for each style. If you're still unsure what your learning style is, then experiment with a variety of different learning styles.

The Student Room also has a lot of GCSE revision resources available here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/GCSE_Revision_Notes
They also have a handy study timetable tool here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/make
Using the link above, you can also create mindmaps, flashcards, quizzes, and crosswords.
There's also a lot of ready made mindmaps, flashcards, quizzes, and crosswords here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/learning.php

Consider doing presentations - You get the enjoyment out of researching different parts of the subject, and creating fun power points. By presenting them to a family member (or failing that, a pet or an inanimate object) you can really develop your understanding of the topic. Encourage them to ask as many questions as they can, and make sure you are able to correctly answer them.

There are a lot of revision workbooks and guides out there for GCSE's, it might be worth investing in them and working your way through them for each subject. These generally have a lot of questions and exercises for you to complete, and a lot of them are full of colourful images and graphs to help explain the text.

Create a study timetable - set yourself a realistic amount of time for revision each week. Ensure that you are revising each subject for 2-3 hours each week. Be realistic in regards to your chunks of revision - don't set yourself massive chunks which you know you won't do, and don't set yourself five minutes here and there because it won't help you.

Perhaps even consider doing a few past papers for each subjects first - See what questions/theories/whatever that you're struggling with and make a note of them. This can help you prioritise your revision. Remember that when you're doing past papers you need to be really strict on yourself - don't award yourself points because you 'knew what you mean't' because you won't get those points in the exam. Marking guides can be a great way of revising as well, as it gives a really good idea on what they're looking for, how to phrase the answer, how to pick up points that you might not have considered, and ways of avoiding dropping easy points.

Feeling anxious about exams is completely normal - so try not to beat yourself up about it too much. Try speaking to your teachers and seeing what your options are in regards to support for your exams. Try and remember that having to resit GCSE's is not the end of the world. Yes it'll be unfortunate if you do, but you might not necessarily have to. Focus on revising rather than what you might have to do if you fail. There are a lot of different options available to you. I didn't do too well in my exams, but I've managed to turn that around and get myself into University this coming September. It is possible.

In terms of some relaxation / stress busters. I actually have a blog post about my favourite (free) websites for this. It's all stuff I use a lot for my anxiety & quite a few of my friends have said it's really helped them - http://campbellxemma.com/top-5-online-relaxation-resources/. You might find that these resources & distractions might be able to help you calm down before you start your revision sessions, and you can always use them before your exams etc.
Reply 5

Hi, i suffer severe anxiety too im sorry you are going through that it is the worse and can hinder you from things like exams and coping through school. As for sitting exams Ur school should have a main person incharge of exams or a learning support room or even a school nurse, firstly i suggest you talk to one of them how ur anxiety is becoming very bad and You cannot cope in an exam hall with everyone. For My Gcse i got to sit out of exams and sit my exam elsewhere in the exams i thought i cudnt cope in for e.g i cant sit in the hal with people for long amounts of time. Secondly, dont think too negative Gcse arent as difficult as people make out to be trust me, Just relax and dont let them overwhelm you it is very stressful i understand however if you can find a coping mechanism to keep you relaxes. If you fail your exam or have to leave during it becasue it was too much to cope woth it is not the end of the world. There are alternatives , alls you really need in order to get onto your A levels courses are your maths english and science, during A level years you can have oppitunities to repeat english and maths as well as choose an appropriate Alevel course. They also assess you individually, I got onto my German A level course even though my gcse result didnt meet the requirements. Trust me you are going to be fine. Also i went to cahms they are amazin! You have a month or so for the exams try and use the easter holidays to make a start and do what you can but also give yourself some down time too!! You are going to be fine, Goodluck with everything!! Hope this helped
Original post by 999tigger
Talk to your teachers and exam officer so they can consider the merits of making an application for special circumstances where you can be allowed an extra 1-5%.

For the moment just agree to organise yourself and work as hard as you can as you still have scope to learn a lot and do well.

In the event you fail then you could either:

1. Ask your school if they will allow you to resit he year again.
2. Just resit exams.
3. Its useful if you get Maths and English, but in any event you can apply for apprenticeships.
4.Go to college to do other vocational qualifications.

For now worry less and just focus on doing your best.

Thank you for the advice everyone
Hi! You’ve posted this about 5 years ago and i would love to know what you’ve done since then , i have already passed my gcse and im still waiting for my results which im really not confident about and really anxious about the day they will come out could you please give me a bit of a life update ?
Hi 👋 I am on a different account! I forgot that I posted this! I managed to get four 5’s and a B from the year before in astronomy. In 2017/18 I had really bad OCD/anxiety and depression and never went out the house, didn’t eat properly etc. 2019 I started to go out more for small things like dog walks and in the garden. 2020 I couldn’t do as much as I would have wanted due to covid. In 2021 I eventually got some support that I felt like the people cared about me and I started going on public transport and seeing new people. Felt like I had a bit more control and was doing things for me and not just to please others. Playing guitar has helped me have something that I am passionate about and helps me calm myself. This year I am starting to improve more. I have done a counselling course, I started to play football just last week and I am trying to experience more new things and go out of my comfort zone. I am starting to think about jobs now or a qualification. I think if I had pushed myself and gone to college I would have ended up so much worse in the long run. I may not have developed financially/ career wise but I think my mental development has been much more valuable to me than any money is worth.I hope you know that you are not worth what those results say. You are more than that and live your life how you want to live it, do things in your own time. I hope they go well and you should be proud no matter what you get. Just getting through high school is a challenge in its self 😊
Original post by AmyZ123456
Hi 👋 I am on a different account! I forgot that I posted this! I managed to get four 5’s and a B from the year before in astronomy. In 2017/18 I had really bad OCD/anxiety and depression and never went out the house, didn’t eat properly etc. 2019 I started to go out more for small things like dog walks and in the garden. 2020 I couldn’t do as much as I would have wanted due to covid. In 2021 I eventually got some support that I felt like the people cared about me and I started going on public transport and seeing new people. Felt like I had a bit more control and was doing things for me and not just to please others. Playing guitar has helped me have something that I am passionate about and helps me calm myself. This year I am starting to improve more. I have done a counselling course, I started to play football just last week and I am trying to experience more new things and go out of my comfort zone. I am starting to think about jobs now or a qualification. I think if I had pushed myself and gone to college I would have ended up so much worse in the long run. I may not have developed financially/ career wise but I think my mental development has been much more valuable to me than any money is worth.I hope you know that you are not worth what those results say. You are more than that and live your life how you want to live it, do things in your own time. I hope they go well and you should be proud no matter what you get. Just getting through high school is a challenge in its self 😊

Appreciate the update - good to hear that you're doing better :smile: Props for still getting the grades you need despite everything you went through!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending