The Student Room Group

Mathematics and Further mathematics revision?

GCSE upcoming...
I'm doing the Edexcel maths and AQA further maths course.
Are you guys making notes for these subject[If App.] or just doing past papers or?

What else are you doing ?

Thanks.
Original post by VNN
GCSE upcoming...
I'm doing the Edexcel maths and AQA further maths course.
Are you guys making notes for these subject[If App.] or just doing past papers or?

What else are you doing ?

Thanks.

I recommend you go and visit a website called MATHS GENIE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MaherPhd
I recommend you go and visit a website called MATHS GENIE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow,Thanks!
Anywhere I can get revision notes for memorization from or should I just use the CGP books for both subjects or?
Thanks.[Again]
Reply 3
Hi, I did both almost 2 years ago now for my GCSEs and achieved A*s in both. I think the best thing you can do is past paper practice, and once you've identified the areas you need to work on, textbook exercises are the best thing from there. With further maths, I'd recommend buying the cgp revision guide as there are lots of questions in there that are very good for practice as there aren't many past papers. If you need any more advice or anything, let me know :biggrin:.
Original post by baznoy
Hi, I did both almost 2 years ago now for my GCSEs and achieved A*s in both. I think the best thing you can do is past paper practice, and once you've identified the areas you need to work on, textbook exercises are the best thing from there. With further maths, I'd recommend buying the cgp revision guide as there are lots of questions in there that are very good for practice as there aren't many past papers. If you need any more advice or anything, let me know :biggrin:.

Thak for the Stellar Advice!

One question if you dont' mind...
I have the kindle edition of the maths and Further Maths CGP Books.What i normally do is Go through the entire 126 Page of he Maths and FM book and then do past papers but i found that to be ineffective due to it being too consuming for minimal advantages.
So im going to the summary questions for each topic and only look at things i dont know then do past paper,mark it identify key areas where i lost marks then go over these individually,Is this a good plan[FYI:Already started]?

Also,should i also do the above for further maths[FM] too or?
Any secret or key tips;]?
Original post by baznoy

Also,would you recommend just use the CGP textbook or making my own notes or?

Thanks...
Original post by VNN
Wow,Thanks!
Anywhere I can get revision notes for memorization from or should I just use the CGP books for both subjects or?
Thanks.[Again]

I think CGP books are good for memorization especially further maths. Also Consider doing paper papers as they are very useful and you'll get to identify the type of questions that mostly comes up and the exam trend.
You're welcome:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MaherPhd
I think CGP books are good for memorization especially further maths. Also Consider doing paper papers as they are very useful and you'll get to identify the type of questions that mostly comes up and the exam trend.
You're welcome:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have the kindle edition of the maths and Further Maths CGP Books.What i normally do is Go through the entire 126 Page of he Maths and FM book and then do past papers but i found that to be ineffective due to it being too consuming for minimal advantages.
So im going to the summary questions for each topic and only look at things i dont know then do past paper,mark it identify key areas where i lost marks then go over these individually,Is this a good plan[FYI:Already started]?

Original post by VNN

It is a good plan and what you're doing is perfectly fine. Just keep on working hard to achieve the grades you want.;D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VNN

Do it the other way round, do a past paper or 3, and then use them to find where you are weak, revise that from the CGP books, then do some more past papers. Rince and repeat until you run out of papers or time.
I'm doing AQA Further Maths Level 2 Certificate, and all of my revision consists of doing the problems in the book that we were given at the start of the year and past papers.
Hi,
I'm also doing both my Edexcel Maths GCSE and AQA Further Maths GCSE this year and from personal experience, CGP books will not be very beneficial.

Instead, get the Official Edexcel 9-1 Revision Guide and Workbook. These have nearly every question on the specification and if you can each and every one of them, you are guaranteed a 8 in your GCSEs.

As for Further Maths, I personally don't do any revision for it, but I would advise you to do past papers and also get the AQA Further Maths Book.

AQA Further Maths Book:
http://amzn.eu/aNR19eT

Maths Revision Workbook:
http://amzn.eu/gTWUrwi

Maths Revision Guide:
http://amzn.eu/bGl3qdw

And I personally think this is overkill, but this is a GCSE exam paper collection book:
http://amzn.eu/jlaLBm4

Good luck on your GCSEs!

Quick Reply

Latest