The Student Room Group

A-level Result Dilemma

I achieved an ABD and am struggling to find advice in my unique situation. I aspire to study medicine, but the D grade has complicated matters. Considering retaking my D grade to achieve an A is an option. I secured an A in Biology, B in Chemistry, and D in Mathematics. Is retaking Mathematics to enhance my medicine application advisable, especially given my plans for a gap year?

For context, my Year 12 and part of Year 13 attendance was significantly impacted by a challenging (2-hour plus) commute and the uncertainties of a delayed house move beyond our control, which affected my grades. As a result, my parents arranged boarding to mitigate any further decline in my A-level results due to limited revision time because of travelling and Mental Health. Unfortunately, this couldn't be done earlier due to financial issues.

Before boarding in 2023, I was predicted CCD in Biology, Chemistry, and Mathematics, respectively. Although I improved my Biology and Chemistry grades during boarding, I struggled to keep up with Mathematics due to the intense revising needed to compensate for my Year 12 and partial Year 13 setbacks in those subjects. As a result, I sensed that I wouldn't perform as well in Mathematics.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
If an AAB-ABB is what you need, and you'd only need to retake one A-Level, then yes it would be advisable. One year to study one A-Level is ample amounts of time.

You already have an understanding of the A-Level syllabus for Maths, so if you can revise the content until December then begin exam practice around January, that should, with good study ethic enable you to obtain an A in Maths.

If you can find a tutor to guide you, even better. If not, there is plenty amounts of online resources. If you have access to assignments/homework set by the school you can work through that (again) and also try out questions from different exam boards to expose yourself to questions you wouldn't have encountered previously.

On a side note, well done for achieving an A and a B given your predicted grades and huge hurdles to jump, that is an incredible achievement.
Reply 2
I was unsure originally but your point has strengthened my feelings for retaking. I will go ahead with retaking A-level Maths.Thank you so much.:h:
Reply 3
Original post by Jed.Kavuma
I was unsure originally but your point has strengthened my feelings for retaking. I will go ahead with retaking A-level Maths.Thank you so much.:h:

Glad to hear it. Where you offered an AAB? Typically medicine is an AAA so was just curious as you might wish to retake both?

Quick Reply

Latest