The Student Room Group

How much rent do you pay on Jobseekers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elmosandy
There's an incapacity benefit but i'm not sure i'm entitled to it... but I've nearly worked and I still claim PIP ( although my mum's the appointee I don't actually get the money directly to my account.)

But i'm not sure, I could be put on JSA and still get PIP maybe even claim it as the main appointee one day or I could be put on ESA, but apparently ESA is Disability JSA but someone supervises you when you're working and if the person supervises you thinks you don't need help anymore you get your benefits cut off so you lose your ESA anyway, my mum says it's not worth it and hopes I get a job/go uni before it happens. Studying maths&english till i'm 20 though still homeschooled so i'm fine for now.

You're right i'm not sure though because my mum said you can work on PIP but the type of work you do can reduce and affect your claim to PIP. But yes, you're right

You've completely misunderstood what ESA is. If you have a disability or long term illness that means you can't work you may be eligible for ESA. There are two different levels: the Work Related Activity Group which you'd get the same as JSA and would be expected to do 'activity' that might help prepare to get you into work and the Support Group which would mean you'd get more money and currently not be expected to do anything to move towards work (although this might change).
Reply 21
Studying maths&english till i'm 20 though still homeschooled so i'm fine for now.

you're not allowed to study and claim jobseekers allowance at the same time. If you are doing over 15 hours studying a week they'll tell you that you are ineligible to claim.

If you are home schooled though, it's going to be pretty impossible for them to know how much hours you are studying unless you actually tell them,

tbh they're not even going to know you are studying unless you tell them.

what will you do?

I know what I would do...........
Reply 22
Original post by ANM775
you're not allowed to study and claim jobseekers allowance at the same time. If you are doing over 15 hours studying a week they'll tell you that you are ineligible to claim.

If you are home schooled though, it's going to be pretty impossible for them to know how much hours you are studying unless you actually tell them,

tbh they're not even going to know you are studying unless you tell them.

what will you do?

^ I know but you stop claiming child benefit when your child is 20 anyway. and that's when I will defiantly finish all my studies:smile: So if I don't go Uni I will be on JSA then. I mean after i'm 20.

The reason my mum still claims child benefit is because im homeschooled. Otherwise, she probably wouldn't claim it. Think they tried to take it off her at one point. But she told them i'm homeschooled, actually they tried to take it off recently so i'm doing more IGCSE's to show i'm studying :s-smilie:. I15 hours a week, I don't study over that with maths&english so if I wasn't homeschooled I would be eligible for JSA this summer maybe. Or when i'm 20. Either way it's happening when i'm 20/child benefit getting cut off. Anyway I just asked this question to get prepared and know and get info about rent in future& when I actually have to start paying rent.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by SmallTownGirl
You've completely misunderstood what ESA is. If you have a disability or long term illness that means you can't work you may be eligible for ESA. There are two different levels: the Work Related Activity Group which you'd get the same as JSA and would be expected to do 'activity' that might help prepare to get you into work and the Support Group which would mean you'd get more money and currently not be expected to do anything to move towards work (although this might change).

Oh okay. Sorry then.

Don't understand how you claim ESA if you can't work but put in a Work Related Activity Group which prepares you for work. :s-smilie:
Oh okay. Sorry then.

Don't understand how you claim ESA if you can't work but put in a Work Related Activity Group which prepares you for work. :s-smilie:

Because in the future they might be able to work.
Reply 25
Original post by ANM775
when the tories came to power they started cutting down hard on people claiming benefits, raising the age from which housing benefit can be paid was their doing.

you would have to be over 21 and actually move out away from your mum to be eligable for any money coming to you. Your mum pretty much is already getting your housing benefit, that's how she's able to afford your room. If you move out your mum will get less money and most likely have to move to somewhere smaller as she won't be able to afford the place.

Oh right I see.
Reply 26
Original post by Tiger Rag
Because in the future they might be able to work.

Ah right I see.

So how come you got switched from JSA to ESA then? Can you / were you not capable of working without support?

And I see where I went wrong. So ESA if people who can't work but with support and when the Job Centre decides they're fine without support they take the ESA off. Oh okay I see
Reply 27
^ I know but you stop claiming child benefit when your child is 20 anyway. and that's when I will defiantly finish all my studies:smile: So if I don't go Uni I will be on JSA then. I mean after i'm 20.

The reason my mum still claims child benefit is because im homeschooled. Otherwise, she probably wouldn't claim it. Think they tried to take it off her at one point. But she told them i'm homeschooled, actually they tried to take it off recently so i'm doing more IGCSE's to show i'm studying :s-smilie:. I15 hours a week, I don't study over that with maths&english so if I wasn't homeschooled I would be eligable for JSA this summer maybe. Or when i'm 20. Either way it's happening when i'm 20/child benefit getting cut off.

It's a double edged sword really as if you claim JSA they will stop the child benefit your mum gets, so you will probably end up giving her most of your JSA to make up for it, although JSA pays over 2 times more than child benefit so it might be worth it

here's an interesting link:

http://www.themix.org.uk/money/benefits/how-many-hours-can-i-study-and-still-claim-jsa-9225.html

apparently you could still claim I think, but you would need to be prepared to take any job whether or not it fits in with your study schedule. You could possibly do this perhaps as if you are home schooled you are probably somewhat flexible over the hours.
Ah right I see.

So how come you got switched from JSA to ESA then? Can you / were you not capable of working without support?

Because things changed.
Reply 29
Original post by ANM775

what will you do?

I can't tell them i'm not studying xyd because its been notified i'm eligible for child benefit because i'm homeschooled. And it's notified i'm homeschooled full time. So saying i'm homeschooled and not full time/15 hours a week is pointless now especially since they tried to take my mums child benefit off recently and i've done more IGCSE's on top to prove i'm studying:frown:. And the Local Education Authority cracks down on homeschoolers hours, turning up every few weeks unannounced and demanding to see 3 hours of work every day from you as a minimum. So nah.

Unless you were thinking of something else...
Reply 30
Original post by ANM775
It's a double edged sword really as if you claim JSA they will stop the child benefit your mum gets, so you will probably end up giving her most of your JSA to make up for it, although JSA pays over 2 times more than child benefit so it might be worth it

here's an interesting link:

http://www.themix.org.uk/money/benefits/how-many-hours-can-i-study-and-still-claim-jsa-9225.html

apparently you could still claim I think, but you would need to be prepared to take any job whether or not it fits in with your study schedule. You could possibly do this perhaps as if you are home schooled you are probably somewhat flexible over the hours.

Yes i've read up about that. You just have to work less than 16 hours a week isn't it.

I wouldn't mind paying her. Then again, I want a bartending job but I can't seem to get work because I look 15:smile:))))

You can get income support if you work less than 16 hours a week. Interesting. Apparently if you get £20 of a friend it's ok but you have to declare it, then if they that £20 off your benefit. Otherwise, they'll stop your benefits if they find out.

https://www.gov.uk/income-support/eligibility
Reply 31
I can't tell them i'm not studying xyd because its been notified i'm eligible for child benefit because i'm homeschooled. And it's notified i'm homeschooled full time. So saying i'm homeschooled and not full time/15 hours a week is pointless now especially since they tried to take my mums child benefit off recently and i've done more IGCSE's on top to prove i'm studying:frown:. And the Local Education Authority cracks down on homeschoolers hours, turning up every few weeks unannounced and demanding to see 3 hours of work every day from you as a minimum. So nah.

Unless you were thinking of something else...

I hadn't realised at the time of writing that that they would take your mums child benefit....

but tbh child benefit really isn't that much, you'd be financially better off on JSA than child benefit.

If you are studying under 16 hours you could get the child benefit scrapped and then start claiming JSA, but you've have to be prepared to take on jobs which may fall on your normal study hours

]Yes i've read up about that. You just have to work less than 16 hours a week isn't it.

If you are actually working they'll take money out of your entitled JSA, to the point it may not be worth it. My friend was working 15 hours [within the rules] and claiming JSA, but because he got paid just over £70 this meant he was earning more than JSA paid ...and he actually got nothing from the jobcentre. So he was basically just going down to the jobcentre every 2 weeks to get hassled by them into getting a job but receiving no money. eventually he stopped going lol.

if you are studying less than 16 hours [not working] then I don't think they deduct money from you.

You can get income support if you work less than 16 hours a week. Interesting. Apparently if you get £20 of a friend it's ok but you have to declare it, then if they that £20 off your benefit. Otherwise, they'll stop your benefits if they find out.

I literally do not know a single person who's ever done that lmao....

so if a relative gave you £20 for xmas would you declare it?
actually better not answer that, depending how you answer it might be classed as "illegal activities"

disclaimer to mods: this is not me condoning illegal activities
Yes i've read up about that. You just have to work less than 16 hours a week isn't it.

I wouldn't mind paying her. Then again, I want a bartending job but I can't seem to get work because I look 15:smile:))))

https://www.gov.uk/income-support/eligibility

You can only get income support if you're a carer or lone parent to a child under 5.
Reply 33
You can only get income support if you're a carer or lone parent to a child under 5.

Oh yeah it says you've got to be all five of the following. Didn't read that through. Sorry

Or if you're a 16-20 parent ( and) not living with a parent/ refugee learning english.
Reply 34
Original post by ANM775
I hadn't realised at the time of writing that that they would take your mums child benefit....

but tbh child benefit really isn't that much, you'd be financially better off on JSA than child benefit.

Still helps

Original post by ANM775

If you are studying under 16 hours you could get the child benefit scrapped and then start claiming JSA, but you've have to be prepared to take on jobs which may fall on your normal study hours

Idc

Original post by ANM775

If you are actually working they'll take money out of your entitled JSA, to the point it may not be worth it. My friend was working 15 hours [within the rules] and claiming JSA, but because he got paid just over £70 this meant he was earning more than JSA paid ...and he actually got nothing from the jobcentre. So he was basically just going down to the jobcentre every 2 weeks to get hassled by them into getting a job but receiving no money. eventually he stopped going lol.

Lol. Sounds correct.

Original post by ANM775

if you are studying less than 16 hours [not working] then I don't think they deduct money from you.

Yeah I would be on JSA if I wasn't homeschooled studying maths&english part-time

Original post by ANM775

I literally do not know a single person who's ever done that lmao....

so if a relative gave you £20 for xmas would you declare it?
actually better not answer that, depending how you answer it might be classed as "illegal activities"

disclaimer to mods: this is not me condoning illegal activities

That's what's supposed to technically happen. My mum's friend used to work for the DWP told her this. But he's on benefits himself now.
There's these market research surveys that gets you £15 per survey and this woman my mum knew said she's not risking it in case the benefit office gets to her. Gaining extra money on top of your income support no matter how small and not telling the benefits office can actually tale your benefits off you. Watch those benefit cheats catchers programmes, they show people on income support/ jsa working under 15 hours a week but not declaring it, some of them face jail prison time. I don't know about £20 for xmas, but I think £20 for xmas still counts, I think my mum's friend is right, if you don't declare they can reduce/take away your benefits. Of course, no one does this in real life and everyone gets away with it. But that's what supposed to technically happen.
Reply 35

Can you get universal credit if you're a carer / working under 16 hours a week earning under £120 a week/ on PIP/ESA?
Reply 36
Original post by 999tigger

Original post by SmallTownGirl

Original post by ANM775

Just want to take the time to say thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate it. I'm more aware of what happens when you're on Job seekers and if you have to pay rent. Thanks guys.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by MyFightSong
you're getting pip so if you have a disability/illness you should be getting further disability money (not sure what its called - incapacity?) rather than jobseekers right?

The ESA is now incapacity benefits :smile: not sure i'm eligible for that though as I've nearly worked, but the jobcentre can assess me if I am.
(edited 7 years ago)
The ESA is now incapacity benefits :smile: not sure i'm eligible for that though as I've nearly worked, but the jobcentre can assess me if I am.

You can get it if you're on a low income as well.
Reply 39
You can get it if you're on a low income as well.

How?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending