The Student Room Group

Who should get the room

Me and my flat mate have been discussing about the room and one of my friend wants the bigger room which has en-suite and has balcony’s and is much more bigger than the other two room. She wants to pay for the wifi and I said it’s not fair since wifi is cheaper and I said she should atleast pay £50 extra. She said that’s too much and is only willing to pay £40 and is saying how her friends who are sharing and has an en-suite only pays 30 extra.She’s saying how she’s also bringing her tv and air fryer for us to use and plus we could always chill in her room but realistically we would’nt spend time in her room often. I believe since I was the one who looked for the all the property, booked viewing, talked to the agency/ landlord, sorted everything out, I should get the bigger room especially if she was only gonna pay for wifi as it’s well within my budget. Do u think £50 is fair considering that there is a balcony too? And / or should I also fight for the room as she was only gonna pay for wifi so since I did everything I could pay for the wifi and live in that room since that was initially her plan.
How much bigger is it in square metres (percentage wise) compared to the smaller rooms?

A bit of basic maths should sort you out. Percentage wise, however much bigger it is, that's how much extra should be paid. Plus maybe an extra tenner for exclusive bathroom use and balcony.

As for who gets it, just draw lots.

And the wifi is a shared expense - has nothing to do with getting the room.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by ratttisha
Me and my flat mate have been discussing about the room and one of my friend wants the bigger room which has en-suite and has balcony’s and is much more bigger than the other two room. She wants to pay for the wifi and I said it’s not fair since wifi is cheaper and I said she should atleast pay £50 extra. She said that’s too much and is only willing to pay £40 and is saying how her friends who are sharing and has an en-suite only pays 30 extra.She’s saying how she’s also bringing her tv and air fryer for us to use and plus we could always chill in her room but realistically we would’nt spend time in her room often. I believe since I was the one who looked for the all the property, booked viewing, talked to the agency/ landlord, sorted everything out, I should get the bigger room especially if she was only gonna pay for wifi as it’s well within my budget. Do u think £50 is fair considering that there is a balcony too? And / or should I also fight for the room as she was only gonna pay for wifi so since I did everything I could pay for the wifi and live in that room since that was initially her plan.

Hey there @ratttisha !
This might be controversial but I think in a lot of student homes there will always be rooms that are bigger than other rooms. I don't think anyone should have to pay more than someone else just because their room is bigger and it saves a lot of arguments that way. Think of it in the sense that let's say your room is bigger at home than your parent's room, does that mean you have to pay more rent than they do? Probably not no, in most cases they just pay all the rent or the mortgage. You are always going to have bigger rooms in houses and smaller ones as well. At the end of the day you're all living there and it would save a lot of arguments to just split the rent equally. I would also say to draw names out of a hat as to who gets what room. That way it's completely random and no one can complain about being left out or having the worst room. In terms of the wifi I think that's something else you can just split equally. I'd feel rubbish if I had the more active course out of my flatmates so I was in university most of the time whilst my flatmates are at home using the wifi 24/7, yet I'm the one paying for it? It just makes more sense to split it equally and saves a lot of hassle. If you can't come to an agreement now then think about problems later down the line that could occur. She might argue 'well I pay for the wifi' and then you argue back with 'well I pay for the bigger room' and you'll all just be bringing up past things, splitting equally stops this. I just think you're making more stress for yourself than it needs to be. Split everything equally and randomly allocate the rooms. Everything will run a lot smoother that way.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
I think it’s fairly common for people taking a notably bigger room to pay slightly more. The question is worth whether it’s getting off to a bad start for the sake of £10 difference in what you’re asking and they’re willing to pay.
Drawing lots/rock paper scissors or Tony Hawks pro skater duel. Someone just deciding they want the bigger one will breed bitterness

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending