The Student Room Group

Paying Board

Hi, I’m 22 years old and I partly live with my mum and boyfriend’s parents. I stay home Monday to Wednesday and stay at my boyfriend house Thursday to Sunday. My mum makes me pay £100 a month for board. My boyfriends parents make me pay £40 a month. My mum won’t let me change it and gets mad at me if I ask to change it. Am I paying too much to my mum? Is it reasonable?
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by EbonyBowden28
Hi, I’m 22 years old and I partly live with my mum and boyfriend’s parents. I stay home Monday to Wednesday and stay at my boyfriend house Thursday to Sunday. My mum makes me pay £100 a month for board. My boyfriends parents make me pay £40 a month. My mum won’t let me change it and gets mad at me if I ask to change it. Am I paying too much to my mum? Is it reasonable?

Rent varies dramatically around the country. Take a look at what it would cost to rent a room locally in someone's home as a lodger.

A quick glance at spareroom.co.uk (for example) suggests that you could expect to pay £250 per week to rent a room in SW1 but only £100 per week in AB56.

Your £100 per month for three days per week is the equivalent of about £55 per week (for a full week). So compared to renting elsewhere as a lodger, it's cheap.

(I realise that you say that you're paying for "board" - i.e. meals - but don't mention "lodging" - i.e. somewhere to sleep. I've no idea how much to factor-in for food, which could have a significant impact.)
Reply 2
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/apr/20/why-you-should-pay-your-parents-100-board-a-month

I assume that what you pay covers food, fuel, all bill contributions etc. This is a few years old and food, for example, costs more now but it gives you some idea. Maybe 100 a month for three days might be seen as a tad expensive by some based on this research. However, if you look at what it would cost you to rent and pay for bills and food and the fact that prices have risen, it is probably not excessively high. It does work out at about 238 a full month though (based on a seven day week). The problem is that your mother is not prepared to discuss it so seems unwilling to consider reducing it.
As you pay less than 100 a month for the other four days that at least reduces the negative impact of 100 a month for three days. I mean by this that the 40 a month for four days averages out at less than 100 a full month (seven days a week).
The latter part of the week is arguably relatively cheap in my opinion. As you pay 140 a month total, and this research thought 100 was okay a few years ago and still meant significant savings, I think that with increased food and fuel costs nowadays, the overall figure of 140 which you end up with is not too bad, overall. You also have to consider that your mother is unwilling to discuss it and bear in mind how much more it would cost to rent and pay your own bills. You pay 140. Looking at it overall, the 40 (40 above the 100 in the 2019 Guardian article) averages out at approximately 9 a week bearing in mind months have different numbers of days...excuse my maths.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by EbonyBowden28

If you are living there (even if only part of the week) and are using their food, water, utilities etc etc then its only fair you pay something.
Theres no set amount really.
It depends on how much you earn a bit as well. If you arent earning, or are earning very little then a smaller amount would be fairer. If you were earning a lot then it might be fairer to charge more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending