The Student Room Group

Applying to work in Australia

Hi all :smile:
It has always been my dream to do two things - become a doctor, and live in Australia. What would be better than combining the two?
My question is, what do you need to do to apply for a job as a doctor in Australia? Can you apply as soon as you've finished med school, or do you need to complete your foundation years first?
Also, when applying, are you judged on the specific university that you studied in? (i.e. Does it matter if it wasn't somewhere like Oxbridge)

I would appreciate any help! Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by Gonnafail420
Hi all :smile:
It has always been my dream to do two things - become a doctor, and live in Australia. What would be better than combining the two?
My question is, what do you need to do to apply for a job as a doctor in Australia? Can you apply as soon as you've finished med school, or do you need to complete your foundation years first?
Also, when applying, are you judged on the specific university that you studied in? (i.e. Does it matter if it wasn't somewhere like Oxbridge)

I would appreciate any help! Thanks in advance

I don't think it's been confirmed yet but for med students starting uni in 2018, you will have to work for a minimum of 4 years for the NHS after you qualify. They could increase the amount of years.

Ironically for you, this is going to be implemented to stop doctors leaving the UK to practice.

You could pay £300,000 if you don't want to spend the 4 years.
Original post by SGHD26716
I don't think it's been confirmed yet but for med students starting uni in 2018, you will have to work for a minimum of 4 years for the NHS after you qualify. They could increase the amount of years.

Ironically for you, this is going to be implemented to stop doctors leaving the UK to practice.

You could pay £300,000 if you don't want to spend the 4 years.

Surely this would be rejected due to the unpopularity and resentment from junior medical staff? Many doctors choose to go abroad because of the mistreatment of junior doctors at home, so I imagine if this did come into effect, it certainly wouldn't be appreciated by many people and might even put people off the medical career..
Reply 3
Original post by MoonlightBoo
Surely this would be rejected due to the unpopularity and resentment from junior medical staff? Many doctors choose to go abroad because of the mistreatment of junior doctors at home, so I imagine if this did come into effect, it certainly wouldn't be appreciated by many people and might even put people off the medical career..

I can see why they might do it. They are spending tonnes of money on training doctors and then they just leave. Overall I don't know what will happen.

The BMA has already objected though.

Here's the article http://www.gponline.com/doctors-face-four-year-mandatory-nhs-service-jeremy-hunt-expands-medical-training/article/1410975
Original post by MoonlightBoo

I doubt most people choosing medicine as a career do so because they wish to travel. I'd hope not anyway.
Original post by SarahLeicester
I doubt most people choosing medicine as a career do so because they wish to travel. I'd hope not anyway.

That's not my point. My point is, many of the doctors who do move somewhere else do so because of the bad conditions at home. It would reduce the incentive for aspiring doctors if that option wasn't there. Also, if one wanted a job where they could travel, they wouldn't go through the struggle of getting through a-levels, UKCAT, PS and interviews to become a doctor - they could simply get a BTEC in leisure and holidays instead and become air cabin crew, for example. Nobody becomes a doctor to "travel", but they appreciate the freedom of choice to do so.
Australia have just made their visa requirements stricter so it will now be harder for UK doctors to work over there....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending