The Student Room Group

A Level Biology Revision Club

Hello,

I have created this thread to allow people to share any useful resources for biology. This thread can be used by anyone doing any course as they will all have some overlap (Although I will mainly post resources for Edexcel SNAB)

The aim of this group is to allow people to revise for their biology exams and ask questions/share resources with each other

Scroll to see replies

For all students who have used my resources, I would very much appreciate if you put any feedback on this forum which my be positive or any improvements. If you liked my resources please give me a rep so I know that my resources are helping students dearly Ty for using my resources

For those who have not used my resources and are studying as and a2 biology, please click on the link and make an account on get revising which is free and send me a message (my name on get revising is the same as the one on here). This is so that you can click on my name in your 'sent messages' on the right hand side so that you will get a list of all my resources. My resources are based on the AQA spec but other students who follow other exam boards are welcome to view my resources

https://getrevising.co.uk/
Reply 2
https://getrevising.co.uk/revision-cards/circulation-cardiovascular-disease-and-biochem-I

These are a set of notes for SNAB Topic 3: Voice of the Genome

For other courses this includes:
Eukaryotic/Prokaryotic Cells
Cell Organisation and Organs (Lungs/Leaf)
Mitosis (PMAT) and the Cell Cycle
Gametes and Fertilisation
Meiosis
Recombination and Independent Assortment
Stem Cells
The Nucleus and Genetic Cloning
Epigenetics and the Lac Operon Model
Master Genes and Development in Plants
Discontinuous and Continuous Variation
Polygenic Inheritance
Melanin
Cancer and MAOA
Original post by Hajra Momoniat
For all students who have used my resources, I would very much appreciate if you put any feedback on this forum which my be positive or any improvements. If you liked my resources please give me a rep so I know that my resources are helping students dearly Ty for using my resources

For those who have not used my resources and are studying as and a2 biology, please click on the link and make an account on get revising which is free and send me a message (my name on get revising is the same as the one on here). This is so that you can click on my name in your 'sent messages' on the right hand side so that you will get a list of all my resources. My resources are based on the AQA spec but other students who follow other exam boards are welcome to view my resources

https://getrevising.co.uk/

If you prefer to look at my resources on The Student room, I have websites on all AS and A2 biology except the last topic of A2 being 'The control of gene expression' as I am still working on it. Sorry for any inconvenience made. The websites are found on here in the forum 'Be a web legend and win a MacBook air'
Reply 4
Pls help me with summarised unit 1 ,2,3 biology notes for ial edexcel
Reply 5
Original post by Fardeen
Pls help me with summarised unit 1 ,2,3 biology notes for ial edexcel

what topics are you struggling with (what are on these units as Im not sure about the ial for edexcel)
I'm more than happy to help anyone with questions. As and A2.
What is spermatogenesis and oogenesis???
Original post by dazza2345
What is spermatogenesis and oogenesis???

I don't remember this very well as it was only needed to know in my spec as like extra knowledge. Both are pretty much the same but for sperm and ovum respectively. Its maturation and meiosis to form the gamete. Cant rememberthe names of the cells that it started with to form the gamete.
Reply 9
Original post by Ryan CS
what topics are you struggling with (what are on these units as Im not sure about the ial for edexcel)

In unit 3 we have core practicals
Reply 10
Original post by Fardeen
In unit 3 we have core practicals

Topic 1 life style health and risk
Topic 2 genes and health
Topic 3 the voice of the venoms
Topic 4 biodiversity and natural resources
Reply 11
Original post by Konanabanana
I'm more than happy to help anyone with questions. As and A2.

I want summarized notes for As
Reply 12
Original post by Fardeen
Topic 1 life style health and risk
Topic 2 genes and health
Topic 3 the voice of the venoms
Topic 4 biodiversity and natural resources

Ok so its the same as my course.

I have put notes for Topic 3 Notes on this thread already and I am in the process of creating other notes for the other topics

If there are any specific bits you want to ask questions about I'd be happy to answer them if I can
Reply 13
Original post by Ryan CS
Ok so its the same as my course.

I have put notes for Topic 3 Notes on this thread already and I am in the process of creating other notes for the other topics

If there are any specific bits you want to ask questions about I'd be happy to answer them if I can

Ok thanks no more questions want notes and I got your note on voice of genom its really helpful
Original post by Fardeen
I want summarized notes for As

I never made notes. Do every past paper 2 times dont spend time doing notes use it for doing all papers 3 times. You'll get A doing that.. Everyone who makes notes does not know how to apply the knowledge so they end up 'under performing'.

Maybe it will work for your new specification but for me those who did notes and only a few papers just thought they knew and understood it all but if i give them a tricky question they crumble. Just do every paper a billion times lol. Seriously it is the best way for A-A*
Reply 15
I never made notes. Do every past paper 2 times dont spend time doing notes use it for doing all papers 3 times. You'll get A doing that.. Everyone who makes notes does not know how to apply the knowledge so they end up 'under performing'.

Maybe it will work for your new specification but for me those who did notes and only a few papers just thought they knew and understood it all but if i give them a tricky question they crumble. Just do every paper a billion times lol. Seriously it is the best way for A-A*

Thanks for your valuable suggestion but this gonna work for only unit 3 what about unit 1 and 2 because how I would answer without knowing about it,and another question do you know which practical have the highest chance of coming on this may 2017
Original post by Fardeen
Thanks for your valuable suggestion but this gonna work for only unit 3 what about unit 1 and 2 because how I would answer without knowing about it,and another question do you know which practical have the highest chance of coming on this may 2017

each topic for unit 3 have equal rating so you wont know unless you look at previous years topics. e.g if last year it was on biodiversity it probs wont be a second year in a row. So look at the trend of previous topics and then it might give a hint on the few that are more likely. And for unit 1 and 2, well its Maynow so you would have finished your course in lessons with your teacher. Meaning you should know the whole course briefly. e.g if i asked about mitosis you should know what it is and the steps. Maybe not all the details of every step but at least 50% of each step. That's enough to do papers. Don't do the papers and look at your grade just do the exam without any help and if you dont know the answer to a question leave it blank and the ones you know e.g a 5 marker on mitosis. Answer it at ur best knowledge,then fill in your gaps, maybe you got 3/5 and mark schemes always have like 6 possible marks for a 5 mark etc. So learn all 6 coz the book will only mention 4-5 of those points and the last 1 comes from other sources ect. This gives you deeper pool of answers for a topic. When you mark it write all over your paper the correction. Then when you go to sleep read over the past paper with your corrections. This is kind of like taking notes but the notes are more useful and are phrased correctly. You might make notes from a book but actualy reword it in a way which makes it wrong. So just do the papers and learn from the mistakes in the papers. You don't want to be exposed to few papers because when you get into the exam this is what happens. People think that mitosis only has 4-5 points. So when they write them down they assume "ah i got 5 in that" and i used ot be there thinking nah mate you got 3 coz you did not know about that final point. That is the difference between those who get C's and B's to those who get the A +.
If you need me to explain more i can i wrote too much to be bothered to reword some of what i said.
Reply 17
each topic for unit 3 have equal rating so you wont know unless you look at previous years topics. e.g if last year it was on biodiversity it probs wont be a second year in a row. So look at the trend of previous topics and then it might give a hint on the few that are more likely. And for unit 1 and 2, well its Maynow so you would have finished your course in lessons with your teacher. Meaning you should know the whole course briefly. e.g if i asked about mitosis you should know what it is and the steps. Maybe not all the details of every step but at least 50% of each step. That's enough to do papers. Don't do the papers and look at your grade just do the exam without any help and if you dont know the answer to a question leave it blank and the ones you know e.g a 5 marker on mitosis. Answer it at ur best knowledge,then fill in your gaps, maybe you got 3/5 and mark schemes always have like 6 possible marks for a 5 mark etc. So learn all 6 coz the book will only mention 4-5 of those points and the last 1 comes from other sources ect. This gives you deeper pool of answers for a topic. When you mark it write all over your paper the correction. Then when you go to sleep read over the past paper with your corrections. This is kind of like taking notes but the notes are more useful and are phrased correctly. You might make notes from a book but actualy reword it in a way which makes it wrong. So just do the papers and learn from the mistakes in the papers. You don't want to be exposed to few papers because when you get into the exam this is what happens. People think that mitosis only has 4-5 points. So when they write them down they assume "ah i got 5 in that" and i used ot be there thinking nah mate you got 3 coz you did not know about that final point. That is the difference between those who get C's and B's to those who get the A +.
If you need me to explain more i can i wrote too much to be bothered to reword some of what i said.

Ooh I got it thanks again
Original post by Fardeen
Ooh I got it thanks again

It might sound a bit rude on how i say it but i don't want people doing worse than they thought they would get. By doing allthe papers. You will know the answers exactly word for word, this way you have no excuse and the highest chanceof smashing it :smile: GL
Reply 19
It might sound a bit rude on how i say it but i don't want people doing worse than they thought they would get. By doing allthe papers. You will know the answers exactly word for word, this way you have no excuse and the highest chanceof smashing it :smile: GL

OkayπŸ˜‡

Quick Reply