The Student Room Group

Failing one/two gcse

Hi everyone,

I am currently studying double award (two GCSEs) Engineering and I must say it is horrendously :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:. I picked it as an option because I thought it would look good on my CV and also i liked the idea of making and constructing things. I remember the first week of my newly picked GCSE course like it was yesterday. We were introduced to mechanisms in vehicles and it was honestly the most boring week on my life. For the many weeks in yr 9, i contemplated whether i should just drop but i didn't want to look like I pussied out and i thought surely it should get better right? Two years later, here i am frustrated and annoyed at coursework in which i didnt understand, didnt like and didnt get any help in as our teachers are basically useless. I and some others in our class of 20, managed to receive Es and Us in our coursework which adds to 60% of our final GCSE grade. I am wondering if it really matters? If i fail this (which i will) does it matter since I am more than confident in receiving A*-A in about 8 other
subjects. Can it actually hinder my chance of getting in sixth form and into a Russell group uni?? Do employers even ask for them??
Original post by gbopola
Hi everyone,

I am currently studying double award (two GCSEs) Engineering and I must say it is horrendously :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:. I picked it as an option because I thought it would look good on my CV and also i liked the idea of making and constructing things. I remember the first week of my newly picked GCSE course like it was yesterday. We were introduced to mechanisms in vehicles and it was honestly the most boring week on my life. For the many weeks in yr 9, i contemplated whether i should just drop but i didn't want to look like I pussied out and i thought surely it should get better right? Two years later, here i am frustrated and annoyed at coursework in which i didnt understand, didnt like and didnt get any help in as our teachers are basically useless. I and some others in our class of 20, managed to receive Es and Us in our coursework which adds to 60% of our final GCSE grade. I am wondering if it really matters? If i fail this (which i will) does it matter since I am more than confident in receiving A*-A in about 8 other
subjects. Can it actually hinder my chance of getting in sixth form and into a Russell group uni?? Do employers even ask for them??

If you have 8 other good gcse grades then i wouldnt lose any sleep over it.

Quick Reply

Latest