The Student Room Group

Lack of motivation

This is my first post here~

I'm in second year and doing A-Levela biology, psychology and English lit

Title says it all really, my first exam is on the 7th June and as of yet I haven't found any motivation to consistently revise. I genuinely try but I end up giving up and nothing seems to motivate me to carry on, I was close to crying when I got my AS grades (I got CCDU - U in chemistry which I dropped) but it seems like I haven't learnt my lesson. In my mocks this year I got ABD (D in biology) and I need AAB to get into my uni of choice.

How do I motivate myself to revise which the little time I have left?
Hey !
think about the end result, look at the bigger picture after A levels. After putting hard work in now you will have a long holiday to procrastinate all you want.
Find a clear space, remove any distraction and write a plan of what you hope to cover for today, then tick each off when completed.
just remember its never too late to start revision!
Reply 2
Original post by olivia131
Hey !
think about the end result, look at the bigger picture after A levels. After putting hard work in now you will have a long holiday to procrastinate all you want.
Find a clear space, remove any distraction and write a plan of what you hope to cover for today, then tick each off when completed.
just remember its never too late to start revision!

Thanks~ I'm currently making a revision timetable/to do list starting from Monday which I'm hoping I'll stick to! I just hope that I can get the grades I need cause I know I'll regret it if I don't
I go through bouts of motivation and being extremely unmotivated so I can really relate to your situation!

For me, thinking about the bigger picture & the idea of going to my firm uni motivates me. I read an article the other week where it was recommended that you should step back and ask yourself: "what is my great big why?"

As in, why are you doing this, why are you doing A levels? Why is getting into uni important to you? Maybe it's the experience or you need to go to do the career you want to do in the future.

The best thing to do when you're feeling unmotivated and/or stressed is to take a step back and think about the bigger picture (as the person above said). Don't get too bogged down in the detail, if you can't get motivated to do a specific task move on to something else then come back to it.
Doing something is better than nothing and once you're into the flow of revision it'll be a lot easier to maintain your motivation. :smile:
Original post by itsokamix
Thanks~ I'm currently making a revision timetable/to do list starting from Monday which I'm hoping I'll stick to! I just hope that I can get the grades I need cause I know I'll regret it if I don't

I completely understand your situation, as I was like that during GCSE and still am kind of but sometimes are minds can be our own enemy as we trick ourselves into thinking "ohh ill just do it in an hour" "ill do it later" and we end up never doing it.
it kinda cheesy but a quote I have always remembered is " a day from today you would have wish you started today"
Reply 5
Original post by alldaydreaming
I go through bouts of motivation and being extremely unmotivated so I can really relate to your situation!

For me, thinking about the bigger picture & the idea of going to my firm uni motivates me. I read an article the other week where it was recommended that you should step back and ask yourself: "what is my great big why?"

As in, why are you doing this, why are you doing A levels? Why is getting into uni important to you? Maybe it's the experience or you need to go to do the career you want to do in the future.

The best thing to do when you're feeling unmotivated and/or stressed is to take a step back and think about the bigger picture (as the person above said). Don't get too bogged down in the detail, if you can't get motivated to do a specific task move on to something else then come back to it.
Doing something is better than nothing and once you're into the flow of revision it'll be a lot easier to maintain your motivation. :smile:

Yeah good point! Thank you :3
Here's what I've said to myself, prolonging everything will only make matters worse. You'd be in a better position starting today or tomorrow than starting next week. Running away from challenges won't solve anything as brutal as it sounds. I had to learn this the hard way as I too ran away from challenges. Your AS grades are not bad. I know they are not to the standard you are looking/hoping for but remember some of those exams were mock examinations meaning you have the full opportunity of a fresh slate. I think what you should do is, create a daily checklist and tick things as you go along. You may not get everything done in that day, but remember you'd be in a better position than having nothing done at all. They key is being positive. Try listening/watching to 5-minute motivational video clips each morning to give you that boost if you're struggling with remaining positive. Realise many other students are in your shoes so don't feel down and alone. You can still get the grades you desire but that's only if your mentality changes as it's your thoughts that affect your actions. I'll leave you with this quote- "Cumulatively small decisions, choices, actions, make a very big difference". Good luck and best wishes :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Your grades are excellent- remember life is not about grades anyway. Just do the best you can and be yourself and you will succeed- think of where you want to be and what you want to be doing in 10 years time. If you are passionate about something, do it, you only have one life and people will see your passion, regardless of grades, and will want to help you.

Good luck !
Reply 8
Original post by Cherry82
Here's what I've said to myself, prolonging everything will only make matters worse. You'd be in a better position starting today or tomorrow than starting next week. Running away from challenges won't solve anything as brutal as it sounds. I had to learn this the hard way as I too ran away from challenges. Your AS grades are not bad. I know they are not to the standard you are looking/hoping for but remember some of those exams were mock examinations meaning you have the full opportunity of a fresh slate. I think what you should do is, create a daily checklist and tick things as you go along. You may not get everything done in that day, but remember you'd be in a better position than having nothing done at all. They key is being positive. Try listening/watching to 5-minute motivational video clips each morning to give you that boost if you're struggling with remaining positive. Realise many other students are in your shoes so don't feel down and alone. You can still get the grades you desire but that's only if your mentality changes as it's your thoughts that affect your actions. I'll leave you with this quote- "Cumulatively small decisions, choices, actions, make a very big difference". Good luck and best wishes :smile:

You're right, thank you I guess it's just hard to be positive when stressed but I'll defiantly try my best, I've made a daily revision to-do list starting from Monday and hopefully I'll stick to it

Great quote btw :3
Reply 9
Original post by aytuiq
Your grades are excellent- remember life is not about grades anyway. Just do the best you can and be yourself and you will succeed- think of where you want to be and what you want to be doing in 10 years time. If you are passionate about something, do it, you only have one life and people will see your passion, regardless of grades, and will want to help you.

Good luck !

I thinj I just expect more/too much from myself and when I don't get what I tend to give up!

It's hard to think grades don't define you when literally all my teachers are saying these are the post important exams you'll have ever done ^^; Nontheless I'll try my best to be positive~ Thank you
Reply 10
The fact that you are so worried about your grades alone shows how conscientious you are and shows you do actually have a slither of motivation, just keep trying - failure is how one learns and improves. People that receive the most fantastic grades appear to have reached those feats almost effortlessly, but really they often hide the ridiculous amount of effort they put in. Do not saturate your mind with worry or expectations or fears as you will sicken yourself with those worries- just relax and enjoy studying in a unique way and find how you study best. I, for example, love to study in the early hours of the morning (around 01:00 to 04:00) :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by aytuiq
The fact that you are so worried about your grades alone shows how conscientious you are and shows you do actually have a slither of motivation, just keep trying - failure is how one learns and improves. People that receive the most fantastic grades appear to have reached those feats almost effortlessly, but really they often hide the ridiculous amount of effort they put in. Do not saturate your mind with worry or expectations or fears as you will sicken yourself with those worries- just relax and enjoy studying in a unique way and find how you study best. I, for example, love to study in the early hours of the morning (around 01:00 to 04:00) :frown:

Yeah I'll try my best, sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night feeling guilty that I'm not revising lmao

01:00 til 04:00? What stange times to revise! I'm gonna try and change up my revision times, usually I start in the afternoon/early evening butbibfind myself too tired so I'm gonna start revising from 9am and see if I'm more motivated then :smile:
Reply 12
Good luck, I am convinced you can succeed ! :biggrin:
Literally it comes from how much you want to. There's no rule if you do this then you'll get out of it what you put in that's not true if you can learn to enjoy yourself you should be a lot more successful I think. I have a lot of people labelling things this and that and always thinking if. When sometimes if you deal with the law or police it's always if because they would arrest everyone if it wasn't but you cannot just makes rules for everything you Gotta listen to what's going on like having a :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: if you do it to much you'll go blind.
Reply 14
Original post by Anfanny
Literally it comes from how much you want to. There's no rule if you do this then you'll get out of it what you put in that's not true if you can learn to enjoy yourself you should be a lot more successful I think. I have a lot of people labelling things this and that and always thinking if. When sometimes if you deal with the law or police it's always if because they would arrest everyone if it wasn't but you cannot just makes rules for everything you Gotta listen to what's going on like having a :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: if you do it to much you'll go blind.

I understand it's down to me but it doesn't mean there's not ways to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest