The Student Room Group

Motivation

I’ve always had a lack in motivation, I had a close friend tell me recently “I seen that coming” when I informed them about not applying in time for my classes so I’m set back until fall again, to be fair this has happened before. It’s not like I don’t want to do it but deep down I’m scared if I start the journey of college and the program I want to take that I will end up failing anyways. What are some ways I can stay focused and motivated? All I do at the moment is go to work and then go to my bf place that is 2 hours away from where I live. I don’t have any friends and I’m getting less and less motivated to do anything. I’m scared I’ll end up like my parents… going no where in life and being a disappointment.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’ve always had a lack in motivation, I had a close friend tell me recently “I seen that coming” when I informed them about not applying in time for my classes so I’m set back until fall again, to be fair this has happened before. It’s not like I don’t want to do it but deep down I’m scared if I start the journey of college and the program I want to take that I will end up failing anyways. What are some ways I can stay focused and motivated? All I do at the moment is go to work and then go to my bf place that is 2 hours away from where I live. I don’t have any friends and I’m getting less and less motivated to do anything. I’m scared I’ll end up like my parents… going no where in life and being a disappointment.

Hi there.

Try not to let what your friend said and the way you're feeling get to you. Everyone moves at their own pace, so try not to feel like you're not on the right track or will fail anyway. I know it can be hard when you're feeling a lack of motivation to get yourself back on track and feeling more positive about what you're doing.

Firstly, working and spending time with your boyfriend is not a bad use if your time at all, and not having a secure plan about what you're going to do doesn't mean you've failed. Maybe you could start by bringing some things back inot your life that you enjoy, but maybe haven't had the time or motivation for. Maybe a hobby? Meeting an old friend? For me, I sometimes neglect how much better I feel after taking the time to pamper myself - a nice shower, some good food, maybe I'll paint my nails. It seems silly, but things like this make me feel so much more productive and positive.

It might also be worth noting down a few things you want to achieve, regardless of whether you think you'll fail - but think of some things you genuinely want, no matter the extreme. Then maybe pick 2/3 of those and have a think about how you could actually achieve them. You mention that you're scared to start college, but I'm sure you feel just as bad about not giving it a go. There is always a second option if you start and decide it's not for you, but I think with some planning and some well deserved self-belief, you could have a great time! And succeed!

I know it's easier said than done, but also try your best to not compare your own life to others. I'm sure almost everyone feels demotivated at some time in their lives, but it's something you can come back from. And your current situation doesn't mean you've failed, or that you will fail, it just means you need a bit of time to figure some things out.

I hope this helps, and try not to be so hard on yourself!
Best wishes
Emily
Student Rep at BCU 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest