The Student Room Group

Suspense account help

Hi, I need a bit of help with creating suspense accounts. I dont know when it should be debited or credited. I always end up doing it the other way round. and its confusing me :confused:
For example a bank payment of £68 for vehicle expenses has been recorded as 86 in vehicle expenses..i would've just debited £18 but you debit 86 and credit 68, like how do you know whats debited and credited? :confused:

Thank you

Spoiler

Original post by BintM
Hi, I need a bit of help with creating suspense accounts. I dont know when it should be debited or credited. I always end up doing it the other way round. and its confusing me :confused:
For example a bank payment of £68 for vehicle expenses has been recorded as 86 in vehicle expenses..i would've just debited £18 but you debit 86 and credit 68, like how do you know whats debited and credited? :confused:

Thank you

Spoiler

The easiest way to approach would be to write out atable with the following columns

Do have adjustment should have

Fill in the do have and should have columns (make debits negative and credits positive) and you'll get the correct adjustment.

What they've done is reverse the incorrect entry and enter the correct one.
Reply 2
The downside of correcting the difference is the line in the nominal is not clear making it difficult to follow, once it gets contaminated with lots of such errors it becomes a mess.

The simple approach is reverse the original error and input the correct entry.

So in your case they initially posted

Dr MRE 86
Cr Bank 86

So you reverse by

Dr Bank 86
Cr MRE 86

We are now back at position before anything entered/posted

Now enter correctly

Dr MRE 68
Credit Bank 68

Any you also have a perfect example here of the rule of 9, where two adjoining digits have been transposed (86/68)the difference is always divisible by 9.
Original post by natninja
The easiest way to approach would be to write out atable with the following columns

Do have adjustment should have

Fill in the do have and should have columns (make debits negative and credits positive) and you'll get the correct adjustment.

What they've done is reverse the incorrect entry and enter the correct one.

Thanks for the reply.
Sorry but what do you mean by do have adjustments should have?

Original post by DJKL
The downside of correcting the difference is the line in the nominal is not clear making it difficult to follow, once it gets contaminated with lots of such errors it becomes a mess.

The simple approach is reverse the original error and input the correct entry.

So in your case they initially posted

Dr MRE 86
Cr Bank 86

So you reverse by

Dr Bank 86
Cr MRE 86

We are now back at position before anything entered/posted

Now enter correctly

Dr MRE 68
Credit Bank 68

Any you also have a perfect example here of the rule of 9, where two adjoining digits have been transposed (86/68)the difference is always divisible by 9.

Thank you for the reply :smile:
Just in general how would you know what side to debit and what to credit when making a suspense account? Would it just be the opposite of what you'd do to the account?
Reply 4
Original post by BintM
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry but what do you mean by do have adjustments should have?

Thank you for the reply :smile:
Just in general how would you know what side to debit and what to credit when making a suspense account? Would it just be the opposite of what you'd do to the account?

You are not actually posting to a suspense account here, you are merely reversing the original entries.

The way I think about double entry is to consider the category of account (Income/expense/asset/liability/capital) and to remember:

When dealing with;

Income-Dr decreases/Cr increases
Expense-Dr increases/Cr decreases
Asset-Dr increases/Cr decreases
Liability -Dr decreases/Cr increases
Capital/reserves-Dr decreases/Cr increases

So you just think about the error being corrected, so if should have been Dr Expense( MRE) 68 and Cr Asset ( Bank) 68, but instead posted 86 to each, so you have overstated expense and understated asset (bank) so to correct you need to reduce expense (Cr) and increase asset (bank) , Dr.

The best way to learn is not to rote learn the postings, but to always think, what is it I am dealing with, income/expense/assets/liability/capital, then what do I need to do with it which depends if I have originally overstated it or understated it.

Once this clicks- like riding a bike- there is nothing more to really learn re debits/credits, virtually all other financial accounting learning is re measurement, recognition timing and presentation.

The great thing is once you have the thought process it does not matter what event needs considered, if you can slot it into the five categories of nominal accounts, and remember the increase/decrease rules, everything is so simple.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending