The Student Room Group

Opinions on Manchester Metropolitan University.

I am planning to go here next year. I am planning to do Business Technology (IT). However, I am quite worried as I have seen many people saying its a bad university and making jokes about it. So I don't feel very eased. I would much appreciate it if you could give me your opinions about this university.
Thanks.
It's a mid table former poly so it's going to get flack from the people who need to reassure themselves they're better than other people because they made it into a Russell Group university.

Your choice is AACSB accredited, that means your degree will be internationally recognised. If you do an industrial year they offer placements in prestigious companies such as IBM, Microsoft, BUPA, Lloyds TSB and MBNA. A successful placement year will do more for gaining your first job than the name of the university you went to.

I'm not going to pretend that university prestige doesn't affect course quality and the worth of the degree you get, but it's not to the point that anything other than a top 20 university is worthless like some people would have you believe.

A close friend of mine got his computing degree at Bolton. He's since enjoyed a very successful career including working for one of the top Formula 1 teams. You'll be just fine.
Original post by BigYoSpeck
It's a mid table former poly so it's going to get flack from the people who need to reassure themselves they're better than other people because they made it into a Russell Group university.

Your choice is AACSB accredited, that means your degree will be internationally recognised. If you do an industrial year they offer placements in prestigious companies such as IBM, Microsoft, BUPA, Lloyds TSB and MBNA. A successful placement year will do more for gaining your first job than the name of the university you went to.

I'm not going to pretend that university prestige doesn't affect course quality and the worth of the degree you get, but it's not to the point that anything other than a top 20 university is worthless like some people would have you believe.

A close friend of mine got his computing degree at Bolton. He's since enjoyed a very successful career including working for one of the top Formula 1 teams. You'll be just fine.

These aren't offered they are examples of companies that students have ended up at after applying (independently) to and going through a selection process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
These aren't offered they are examples of companies that students have ended up at after applying (independently) to and going through a selection process.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Our dedicated placement team help students secure placements in prestigious companies such as IBM, Microsoft, BUPA, Lloyds TSB and MBNA."

Ok, offered is not the correct way to phrase it.
"Our dedicated placement team help students secure placements in prestigious companies such as IBM, Microsoft, BUPA, Lloyds TSB and MBNA."

Ok, offered is not the correct way to phrase it.

"help" = few rudimentary lectures on how to apply to positions and how to structure a CV. Maybe a careers portal with links to publicly available programs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
"help" = few rudimentary lectures on how to apply to positions and how to structure a CV. Maybe a careers portal with links to publicly available programs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly I've no experience with placements so I don't know if some universities are more helpful than others. I'm just providing reassurance to the thread starter that his course choice has useful prospects despite the way some people will shoot down a former poly.

If someone with actual experience with Man Met can jump in with feedback of how much they help with placements I'm sure they'd appreciate it.
Reply 6

Indeed and I'm currently watching BBC Question Time featuring the CEO of Siemens UK. He did his engineering degree at Trent Poly (now Nottingham Trent Uni).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending