The Student Room Group

Higher Biology 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alright big boi
I'd say Unit 1 is the hardest out of them all. Unit 2 is ok and Unit 3 is by far the easiest.

I find unit 1 and 2 quite easy. I hate unit 3 it's just soo much to learn...
Reply 21
does anyone know how to do question 6 on the 2016 multiple choice. I always get A but the answer is b
Is anyone else hopelessly trying to cram for this?
Reply 23
Original post by pancaakes
Is anyone else hopelessly trying to cram for this?

Still got Modern Studies to revise for so I haven't even started for Biology. Feel lucky lmao
I was really worried for Nat 5 last year but now this is, next to Higher Music, my most chill exam. I feel alright with this :tongue:

This is also my last exam, so yassssss
Original post by Salenite
I was really worried for Nat 5 last year but now this is, next to Higher Music, my most chill exam. I feel alright with this :tongue:

This is also my last exam, so yassssss

This is my last one too!

Don't worry, guys! We can do this! Growth mindset!
Reply 26
Original post by dsdemona
This is my last one too!

Don't worry, guys! We can do this! Growth mindset!

My last one also!

I am sure it'll be a fair paper considering they have moved the boundaries 2 years in a row now.
Original post by leoq8
My last one also!

I am sure it'll be a fair paper considering they have moved the boundaries 2 years in a row now.

Did they? What were the grade boundaries for them?
Original post by dsdemona
Did they? What were the grade boundaries for them?

2016 : 67% for an A
2015 : 68% for an A
Does anyone know the answer to question 15?image.jpg
Original post by leoq8
Still got Modern Studies to revise for so I haven't even started for Biology. Feel lucky lmao

Oh man, i've got RMPS on Mon so trying to revise both at once.

Good luck for mods:smile:
Reply 31
Original post by pancaakes
Oh man, i've got RMPS on Mon so trying to revise both at once.

Good luck for mods:smile:

**** that's horrible as well. Ty! Good luck with RMPS too :smile:
Reply 32
Does anyone know maths questions that are commonly asked? I never know what to do for them.
Reply 33
Original post by isla.marie
Does anyone know maths questions that are commonly asked? I never know what to do for them.

% increase and % decrease, average increase/ decrease per day over a time period, predicting averages, masses, volumes, concentration using data and units given, whole number ratios, calculations with DNA bases are common, basic percentages etc
Reply 34
Original post by Puppo
% increase and % decrease, average increase/ decrease per day over a time period, predicting averages, masses, volumes, concentration using data and units given, whole number ratios, calculations with DNA bases are common, basic percentages etc

You need to be able to convert between grams, mg, mm, nm, kg, tonnes and also harvest index and sometimes you will be given a cell in mm that is magnified by a certain factor and you can be asked to give length in nm. What you do is divide the number in mm by the magnification factor then times your answer by 1000 to get length in nm. For example, diagram shows a bacterial cell (diagram shows magnified cell length to be 4.5mm) that has been magnified 1500 times. what is the actual length of the cell in nm. You do 4.5/1500 = 3x10^-3mm then multiply this by 1000 to give 3 nm
Hi, does anyone have any good resources for problem solving? Eg. hints and tips or questions with answers? Can only find questions at the moment which contain no answers so seems a little pointless doing them!
Reply 36
Original post by Puppo

Original post by Puppo
You need to be able to convert between grams, mg, mm, nm, kg, tonnes and also harvest index and sometimes you will be given a cell in mm that is magnified by a certain factor and you can be asked to give length in nm. What you do is divide the number in mm by the magnification factor then times your answer by 1000 to get length in nm. For example, diagram shows a bacterial cell (diagram shows magnified cell length to be 4.5mm) that has been magnified 1500 times. what is the actual length of the cell in nm. You do 4.5/1500 = 3x10^-3mm then multiply this by 1000 to give 3 nm

Thank you!! Appreciate it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending