The Student Room Group

Getting kicked out of siixth form

Hello, I'm 17 and I attend sixth form. Ive got a bad attendence, 60% to be exact and its nearly end of the year. My exams are yet to come at the end of May and my work deadline is due next week.
Today I was informed by a receptionist that I will be getting a letter sent home tomorrow and that I will be off the register by Monday. I cleary have no idea what to do as I won't be able to finish my coursework but also attend to my exams.
Side note, I'm not lazy and have work kept up to date, and I have personal reasons explaining my absence.
Original post by popcornbucket
Hello, I'm 17 and I attend sixth form. Ive got a bad attendence, 60% to be exact and its nearly end of the year. My exams are yet to come at the end of May and my work deadline is due next week.
Today I was informed by a receptionist that I will be getting a letter sent home tomorrow and that I will be off the register by Monday. I cleary have no idea what to do as I won't be able to finish my coursework but also attend to my exams.
Side note, I'm not lazy and have work kept up to date, and I have personal reasons explaining my absence.

I don't think they can legally kick you out from doing your exams.
Reply 2
They are not within their rights to do this.
Sixth form is a pile of crap,
If you do get kicked out take it as a positive and just go to ****ing college
I got kicked out too when I was younger, went to college and passed with flying colours. Was the easiest thing ever
Im so sorry, I wish i could bring better news for you, like everyone else is. As college is not obligatory (you can do apprenticeships or go to another college) they have the right to kick you out if they see it necessary. Also colleges have to pay for each student to take an exam so they can pull you from your exams if they decide you wont get grades. However, even if they kick you out of the college and are not paying for you to do the exams you should have the option to appeal not to be removed from the exams and instead pay for the exams yourself. This would mean you can still do the exams you would have been sitting in May just they wouldn't be free.

What about your parents? Have you told them? It is hard to say it would be important to know:

1. What the letter says including their reasons.
2. What the school policy is re: attendance and removing people from sixth form.
3. What your reasons were for having such a low attendance and what the school knew of this.
4. The schools appeals procedure.

You need to know all the above before you can decide what to do. It will be along the lines of if you wish to stay then you need to understand their reasons and whether they are correct.

You then need to read the appeal procedure and put in an appeal. that addresses their complaint and puts your case as to why you shouldnt be removed. You dont give enough detail.

Do this with your parents and get help from a family friend who is a professional or capable of writing a reasoned letter if your parents cannot manage it.

In the meantime do your coursework and hand it in. It s unlikely they will prevent you sitting exams, so carry on with revision and try not to get distracted. You can sort everything else out after.

It is my guess you havent informed them of your absences well enough and they are not convinced. Id think they will give a very different version to what you are telling us. If you have legitimate reasons then you need to make sure they understand. If its medical then you need the support of medical professionals i.e GP, consultant/ social worker to back up your claim.
thanks for the replys. i will finish my coursework at home and then provide it to college for a hope they put me on the next level.
You need to explain your personal reasons, my attendance is similar but not sanctioned as I have medical reasons

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Surely they'd have already entered you or your exams, no?
What personal reasons? I mean I get that its personal but its almost a half of the lessons youve missed.

Try to explain that to the school, however given that the school has already planned on kicking you out i dont think your "personal reason" is excusable. Your best option is to reapply.

No but seriously they can't kick you out of your a Levels. You are a registered candidate. My school expelled someone in the year above but they still had to let them take their exams in June since he had been registered to have them.
you're done mate. Better start applying for open uni lol.

do they know about these personal reasons?
can you not explain your personal reasons to the school?
thanks for the replys. i will finish my coursework at home and then provide it to college for a hope they put me on the next level.

I just gave you an answer and it all seems to have one over your head. just do your exams and then sort it out after.

Clearly the school has its reasons and you do not five enough detail your absences, which can only lead me to believe the school is unconvinced about your reasons or has no knowledge. Its impossible to say what to do in detail without knowing the full details of your situation including the schools response.

They may or may not be able to kick you out.
They may or may not have sufficient reason.

Talk to an adult and let them review your situation.

Quick Reply

Latest