The Student Room Group

Can i be refused to continue to Year 13 for poor A level grades?

Can i be refused to continue to Year 13 for poor A level grades? Is it a legal protocol??

My school has arranged a meeting with me and my parents to "discuss my future options for September"; We've already had a previous talk before about my performance academically and how "they are not confident with me continuing into year 13" because of it and have been pushing the options of me retaking the year if i really want to take my current subjects.

When revisiting what they said later i realised they were being quite vague about these being my only two options; not really giving a direct indication that i definitely couldn't just carry on to year 13 and more or less saying they were suggestions made by my teacher. So i wanted to know if there is an actual legal protocol needed to be carried out if a student were below the required minimum standard to progress into year 13.

I take Alevel Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I got 3Us in the final mock exams, i did attend the exams but i hadn't attempted any of the papers. I've not had a great time with school since starting secondary school for many reasons; i can admit that it's affected the effort i put into school. I genuinely wanted to do well in year 12 but my mental health went completely down hill once the school year started. I got away with the lack of consistency into studying in GCSEs with decent grades but Alevels are obviously different and this outcome was expected. During the final exams i crammed and was so stressed, when i sat the final exams i thought me not attempting the paper would be the same as me bringing home a low mark.

I have my suspicions that they've been wanting me off the courses since my December mocks. I know the school wants people who won't fail so it'll help their Ofsted league tables, showing that they're an outstanding school, but this school isn't 'good' anymore as Ofsted said and currently requires improvement. They've always been low on staff since i came to the school in 2017.

I understand the treatment i'm getting was what i was asking for after not pulling my weight, but I also know it all works around money and i think they should care/more understanding about the student's future and their well being instead of just kicking me off y'know?

The disappointment has really brought home the consequences to me and has given me determination to do better during the next year. I really don't want to have wasted a year academically because of personal issues.

But back to my point i was basically wondering if i can get kicked off my Alevel courses for poor grades because I've been researching for a while and been getting mixed answers.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think you may be able to pressure the school to let you continue but rather than focusing on a battle with an institution you don’t like that much why not have a really good think about what is in your best interests in the widest sense.
The best advice I ever gave to a student was to avoid clearing with some very average grades and just go to Australia for two years. Some years later I got a thanks for that as it gave him room to think. 3 Us says to me that, at the moment you might just be in the wrong place. I am not saying go to Australia but just break off and do something different, if possible somewhere different, for a while.
Reply 2
I don’t think the issue should be whether the school can or can’t refuse to let you continue, but rather what is best for you. You’re studying 3 demanding subjects and would be going into year thirteen with a very heavy handicap. That doesn’t mean that it’s impossible to turn things around, but it would require incredible determination and hard work, and given that you have stated that part of the reason for this state of affairs is poor mental health, would you really be in a place that would enable you to devote so much energy to your exams.
You say that you would like the school to be more understanding of your problems and take into account your well-being and future. Maybe ( I could be wrong, as I don’t know your school or teachers) if you take a step back, this is exactly what they are doing.
As @nerak99 has said, maybe a break would do you good. It would give you the time without pressure to decide what is really right for you and what you really see yourself doing with your future.
Best of luck.😊
Reply 3
You have no 'right' to an education after 16 and if the school feel you are wasting your time, and theirs, then they have every right to say No to you continuing next year. You should either take this as a serious wake-up call and rethink your attitude to school/study - or go and do something else.
easy to say in hindsight but not attempting the mocks at all might have sealed the deal for them and indicated that you are not seriously engaging with the course.

To my best memory I don't think state schools can kick you out entirely for purely academic issues (they cannot kick you out based off mock grades alone, some high-flying schools have got in trouble for this) but they can offer you an alternative course of study, which may not be A-levels so might be essentially like getting kicked out. But iirc stuff like poor attendance (and maybe not attempting your mocks?) may count as a disciplinary issue and not fall under this. @Muttley79 (sorry for the ping) has always seemed very well-read on this issue.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by maddyma
Schools have the authority to set their own policies regarding the continuation to Year 13 for poor A-level grades. While I cannot provide legal advice, it is common for schools to have minimum grade requirements or expectations for students to progress to the next year. Specific policies may vary, so it's important to have a conversation with your school and inquire about their guidelines. Discuss your personal circumstances, including any struggles or extenuating factors that may have affected your academic performance. Ultimately, it is best to consult with your school directly to understand their specific policies and potential options available to you.

It's illegal to do this - you can only exclude on behaviour grounds.
Reply 6
Original post by zaainb
Can i be refused to continue to Year 13 for poor A level grades? Is it a legal protocol??

My school has arranged a meeting with me and my parents to "discuss my future options for September"; We've already had a previous talk before about my performance academically and how "they are not confident with me continuing into year 13" because of it and have been pushing the options of me retaking the year if i really want to take my current subjects.

When revisiting what they said later i realised they were being quite vague about these being my only two options; not really giving a direct indication that i definitely couldn't just carry on to year 13 and more or less saying they were suggestions made by my teacher. So i wanted to know if there is an actual legal protocol needed to be carried out if a student were below the required minimum standard to progress into year 13.

I take Alevel Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I got 3Us in the final mock exams, i did attend the exams but i hadn't attempted any of the papers. I've not had a great time with school since starting secondary school for many reasons; i can admit that it's affected the effort i put into school. I genuinely wanted to do well in year 12 but my mental health went completely down hill once the school year started. I got away with the lack of consistency into studying in GCSEs with decent grades but Alevels are obviously different and this outcome was expected. During the final exams i crammed and was so stressed, when i sat the final exams i thought me not attempting the paper would be the same as me bringing home a low mark.

I have my suspicions that they've been wanting me off the courses since my December mocks. I know the school wants people who won't fail so it'll help their Ofsted league tables, showing that they're an outstanding school, but this school isn't 'good' anymore as Ofsted said and currently requires improvement. They've always been low on staff since i came to the school in 2017.

I understand the treatment i'm getting was what i was asking for after not pulling my weight, but I also know it all works around money and i think they should care/more understanding about the student's future and their well being instead of just kicking me off y'know?

The disappointment has really brought home the consequences to me and has given me determination to do better during the next year. I really don't want to have wasted a year academically because of personal issues.

But back to my point i was basically wondering if i can get kicked off my Alevel courses for poor grades because I've been researching for a while and been getting mixed answers.

Irrespective of what the schools says, I would not recommend continuing into year 13 with 3Us, especially in STEM subjects. Sorry to be blunt, but the likelihood would be that you will end up with Us at the end, or maybe Ds or Es if you start making an effort. It would probably be better for you to start again with different A-levels at your existing school or another one, or to go to local college to do alternative qualifications.
Reply 7
Short answer: Yes, they'll probably force you to redo Y12. I almost found myself in this position, but I got some help (albeit a bit too late). Like, McGinger said, they are not compelled to progress you onto Y13 and a lot of schools will not. I sought help midway through Y12 but proceeded to do nothing about it. I did improve my grades by the end of year mocks, and that's what thankfully allowed me to continue. Y13 (especially for the subjects you've picked) is very very revision-heavy, and whilst it is an opportunity to turn things around, your school may think otherwise. I don't think there are any legal protocols in place, however. It's entirely up to the discretion of the school, and the student in question. My school was particularly harsh with me, but let me (and some other problematic classmates) continue onto Y13, but I can't vouch for your school, sorry.
Reply 8
Original post by zaainb

You can't get kicked out for academic reasons but this is not the issue here. You haven't attempted the exams and it sounds like your work ethic has not been great. This is a reason to ask you to leave ...

Are you on top of your mental health issues? If they alow you to retake Year 12 then that is a good option if you are in a better place.
Original post by Muttley79

Sorry for the questions, but does this apply to both private and state schools?
Original post by _gcx
Sorry for the questions, but does this apply to both private and state schools?

State schools - private schools can do what they like!
Reply 11
From what I’ve read, since there is now a requirement to remain in education until 18, it is not legal just to throw someone out for academic reasons. I failed my A levels first time around and while 6th form was a pretty bad time, I value in hindsight never being given up on. Nobody suggested throwing me out. Do what you can to help the situation with the school, fight cleverly with your parents, even one pass would be a success to build on and more than I got. This situation is common and you can recover from it. A couple of years on and mentally stronger, I passed 3 A levels and went to uni
(edited 9 months ago)
State schools - private schools can do what they like!

thought so, worth checking!
Let me just first give you my genuine advice. Regardless of whether or not your school force you to resit the year, going into year 13 with 3 Us is a recipe for disaster, especially since your doing very hard subjects (maths bio chem). In my opinion I think you should retake the year or even reconsider whether or not you want to even do those A Levels or not over the summer. If you really wanna stick to your A Levels retaking is really a good option for you.

Also, just so you know, your school is actually being very reasonable for even giving you the option to retake the year. In my school, if you fail a STEM subject, your either forced to do a btec or made to retake the year with different subjects. So for example if you fail physics or maths theyll literally tell you your not cut out for it and kick you off the course entirely. In addition to that, our maths department gave us a goddamn A2 paper for maths instead of an AS paper so that they can have an excuse to kick as many of us off the course as they can because they want to keep that 'outstanding' from ofsted & that 51% A*-A grade on A Level results. So if you think your sixth form is being unreasonable, trust me, theyre not.
Reply 14
Original post by _gcx

Maybe they can, but even academics have a contract with the state, not to mention moral obligations that can be lent on. It’s certainly worth fighting a battle if you don’t want to be thrown out
Original post by _gcx

Yes they often make students pay for exam entries so they can manipulate results ...
Original post by canthinkofone
Let me just first give you my genuine advice. Regardless of whether or not your school force you to resit the year, going into year 13 with 3 Us is a recipe for disaster, especially since your doing very hard subjects (maths bio chem). In my opinion I think you should retake the year or even reconsider whether or not you want to even do those A Levels or not over the summer. If you really wanna stick to your A Levels retaking is really a good option for you.

Also, just so you know, your school is actually being very reasonable for even giving you the option to retake the year. In my school, if you fail a STEM subject, your either forced to do a btec or made to retake the year with different subjects. So for example if you fail physics or maths theyll literally tell you your not cut out for it and kick you off the course entirely. In addition to that, our maths department gave us a goddamn A2 paper for maths instead of an AS paper so that they can have an excuse to kick as many of us off the course as they can because they want to keep that 'outstanding' from ofsted & that 51% A*-A grade on A Level results. So if you think your sixth form is being unreasonable, trust me, theyre not.

So if this is a state school they are acting illegally - report them
I think you should not let your school dictate your future. If you were able to sit these as subjects in the first place, you’re more than capable to do well in them.

Perhaps I feel strongly about this because my GSCE teachers tried to sabotage me by not letting me do higher in maths or science, now I go to a reputable university and I did better than my predicted grades in both a levels and gsces 🧐

The sooner you understand that teachers will do what makes their life easier, the better. They’ll rather you take the easy option, aka sit the lower paper, or drop the subject rather than risk you doing poorly. Put your goals above theirs.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by MrSoloDolo

The sooner you understand that teachers will do what makes their life easier, the better. They’ll rather you take the easy option, aka sit the lower paper, or drop the subject rather than risk you doing poorly. Put your goals above theirs.

What rubbish! Your teachers might have been like that but that does not mean all are! I find your post offensive to the teaching profession.
Reply 19

That's appalling. Someone who gets 3 Us in their mock A levels shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a school IMHO. Not only are they wasting their own time, they're wasting the teacher's time and diverting attention / resources away from other students who want to do well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending