The Student Room Group

sociology 12 markers - evaluate

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone think of an example of institutional racism occurring in schools?
Reply 21
Original post by student308308
I would say that they've used questionnaires to gather information about how often bullying occurs in schools, then governments and local authorities have seen them and taken action by using posters/giving talks about bullying. This has made students realise the potential impacts of bullying and they are more aware of the issue and likely to report it, so less bullying occurs.

Problem with this question is, I don't know if they've actually done that. I don't have a policy I could refer to, so would kinda just make something up.....

Can't you make it up? I guess you can google it now so you can be more accurate if it does come up but yours does sound pretty good.
Anyone know an example of institutional racism in schools? Thanks :smile:
Original post by S2M
Can't you make it up? I guess you can google it now so you can be more accurate if it does come up but yours does sound pretty good.

Motto - if you don't know, make it up! Last year in media studies I made up every single statistic on my work, don't think they examiner noticed as I got an A* :wink:
Reply 24
When you use more than one research method to check the data is accurate, like using a questionnaire but also using interviews, then cross referencing to check you get the same results, I think.

I don't know why, but since I saw it in the textbook I've just had a hunch.

Could this also be using a questionnaire/interview then double checking by using Overt/Covert (Non-participant)/(Participant) Observations?
Reply 25
Motto - if you don't know, make it up! Last year in media studies I made up every single statistic on my work, don't think they examiner noticed as I got an A* :wink:

Really? Will that work on here though?
Reply 26
Original post by tanisha04
Something like this always comes up as question number 6 in the first section. I emailed my teacher and she said you don't particularly need to identify a sociological research method but instead explain how sociological research may be HELPFUL, so for example interviews may help to identify which type of bullying is more common in schools e.g. racism, homophobic, ageism. The government and schools can then try to focus on that particular type of bullying in the school so let's say racism is the most common then schools will focus on racism and individuals who are more prone to this type of bullying, e.g. black and asian ethnic minorities.

However in tomorrow's exam i highly doubt the context will be about bullying :frown: it can be about anything but just remember to try and link it to the context and explain how sociological research can help.

Thank you, that sounds right as well.

An affro caribbean student prejudiced by a teacher as they label them as "deviant" and think they are more likely to misbehave and therefore treats them with more disclipline.
Original post by S2M
Really? Will that work on here though?

Let's hope so, just make sure they sound fairly accurate
Original post by tanisha04
An affro caribbean student prejudiced by a teacher as they label them as "deviant" and think they are more likely to misbehave and therefore treats them with more disclipline.

Just a tip for the legislation questions - try to learn new ones as opposed to older ones. The question will always give a timeframe of the 'last X years' and if you can mention one from 2010 or something, it could be applied to any time period they ask you about.
Let's hope so, just make sure they sound fairly accurate

96% of statistics are made up on the spot. :biggrin:

Teachers who are mostly white, middle class people will label ethnic minority students (esp. black males) as being underachieving or likely to be disruptive. This labelling occurs due to things like the language barrier sometimes causing those students to not understand what's being taught as well as british students, and therefore because of labelling it leads to an SFP.

OR you could talk about the ethnocentric curriculum and say that school favours white, british children over ethnic minorities, e.g. teaching British history and British literature in lessons and not teaching things like African History or the history of the far East or something like that.
Original post by liam12345677
Just a tip for the legislation questions - try to learn new ones as opposed to older ones. The question will always give a timeframe of the 'last X years' and if you can mention one from 2010 or something, it could be applied to any time period they ask you about.

Thanks, any examples? :smile:

One good one for family is probably the 2010 paternity act, then :smile:
Teachers who are mostly white, middle class people will label ethnic minority students (esp. black males) as being underachieving or likely to be disruptive. This labelling occurs due to things like the language barrier sometimes causing those students to not understand what's being taught as well as british students, and therefore because of labelling it leads to an SFP.

OR you could talk about the ethnocentric curriculum and say that school favours white, british children over ethnic minorities, e.g. teaching British history and British literature in lessons and not teaching things like African History or the history of the far East or something like that.

Thanks again :smile:

You know your stufff, GO GET THAT A*

One good one for family is prob
ably the 2010 paternity act, then :smile:

What's the paternity act?
Reply 37
Compared to you guys I'm worried that I won't do that well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GgmUuuhvUs - might be helpful for a quick summary :smile:

One good one for family is probably the 2010 paternity act, then :smile:

Yeah, my teacher actually highlighted that one for us! She also gave some specifics, like how before it used to be only 2 weeks for men, women HAD TO take the rest of the time off, but now, they can split the time off, and they only HAVE to take 2 weeks off, so if they want to, the parents can go back to work earlier. You could also talk about Same Sex marriage/same sex adoption acts, and of course, these are quite easy to remember so don't forget them - there's the sex discrimination act which you can use in your 12 mark answers about equality in the family sort of thing, and there's the divorce reform act which you can talk about in answers asking about rising divorce rates/falling marriage rates.

For education, Pupil Premium is the one I'm most likely to remember, however there's also the academisation policy (even though the 'all schools become academies' policy was scrapped, you can still talk about the converter schools being turned into academies) for poor schools that are failing, and the policy of 'stay in education til you're 18' although I don't know its specific name so if anyone could enlighten me, that'd be helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending