The Student Room Group

calling all petite ladies - size 6 or under - where to buy clothes????

hello,

im so frustrated and fed up with clothes shopping. i wear size 6 generally. im very petite, with stats of 32-21-34 and i totally cant find any shops to buy clothes. i can buy fashion/casual clothes ok. often H&m will do, as will new look. i can sometimes get size 6 in tesco. but so many clothes are so big! even the petit ranges. shockingly, i even found a store where the petite range sold size 10-24! lets face it girls, there is nothing petite about a size 24. there are so many stores which sell clothes for big girls over size 16, so why not small girls? its so embarrassing to be sopping in a kids section at my age (21). i need suits and shirts for work. even size 6 in next is too big. miss selfridge used to stock size 4/us size o for a while but they stopped. oasis sells ok clothes in small sizes sometimes. i also tend to shop in european sizes rather than british sizes, due to the serious vanity sizing - a european size 38 inches is maybe a size 12/14 in H&M and oasis and a Size 8 in Marks and Spencer and bon marche. or clothes sixe 18+ being labelled 'petite'

where can i get adult and business clothes in small sizes?

there must be more of us out there. small ladies. so if we pool our knowledge maybe we can all buy clothes. and its not like we are anorexics or anything. im just really short and therefore in proportion.

how old are you, what size do you tend to wear and where do you get your clothes?
STOP THIS PETITIST DISCRIMINATION!
where do you buy clothes? which websites are also good for small clothes?
where do you buy your clohes?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
shinytoy
lets face it girls, there is nothing petite about a size 24.

I hate to be pedantic, but Petite ranges in shops are aimed at short people. I know size 24 people aren't 'petite' in the original sense of the word- hell, I'm a 10/12 at 5'1" and I wouldn't call myself petite, just a short arse. But somehow I don't think a 'Shorty' range would have quite the marketing power. :p:

Not being small myself, I can't help you I'm afraid. I know my teeny friend has issues buying clothes. I have seen a lot of 4s in Topshop and Miss Selfridge recently though, so maybe try there again, or online.
Reply 2
i also have this problem! ;console; in most shops the size 8 is too big and not many shops sell size 6 or dont have it in stock if they do :mad: at the moment im having major problems finding a winter coat which i dont drown in :redface: even the petite size 6 in dorothy perkins is still too big :frown:

asda do sell clothes in size 4 so i may have to try there
Reply 4
all the stuff i like in DP they dont do in 6. its not like its rare to be small. surely even you teens must soimetimes need adult clothes like evening gowns. anyone been to precis petit? i have heard of them, are they any good>? i need a new suit and some business skirts in small size
Reply 5
My suit jacket is by Precis Petite, but like Joanna pointed out, "petite" means that it's aimed towards ladies who are 5ft3 or under, NOT slimmer sizes.
I'm not as small as you but I'm a size 6 and I do most of my shopping at H&M. Also a bit in Urban Outfitters (too expensive in the UK though), jeans from Topshop, Miss Selfridge is good (I saw a size 4 dress there once), and in America I buy my jeans from American Eagle.
Reply 7
no hero in her sky
I'm not as small as you but I'm a size 6 and I do most of my shopping at H&M. Also a bit in Urban Outfitters (too expensive in the UK though), jeans from Topshop, Miss Selfridge is good (I saw a size 4 dress there once), and in America I buy my jeans from American Eagle.

OMG tell me about it, a vest top I bought from Urban Outifitters in Florida that was $14, was £20 here!! Such a rip off.
Reply 8
my local miss selfridge went through a spate of selling size 4. it appeared to be a novelty aimed at teens who wanted to see what size 0 looked like.

what size does precis petit go down to? there must be a shop selling non designer cheap but nice adult clothes for slim ladies. surely they would be cheaper as less fabric. any of you business students, here is your niche.
I think it depends more on the store than the shop/brand. Topshops flagship store in Oxford Street sells tonnes of size 4's but its mainly cos thats where all the models go shopping.
shinytoy
hello,

im so frustrated and fed up with clothes shopping. i wear size 6 generally. im very petite, with stats of 32-21-34 and i totally cant find any shops to buy clothes. i can buy fashion/casual clothes ok. often H&m will do, as will new look. i can sometimes get size 6 in tesco. but so many clothes are so big! even the petit ranges. shockingly, i even found a store where the petite range sold size 10-24! lets face it girls, there is nothing petite about a size 24. there are so many stores which sell clothes for big girls over size 16, so why not small girls? its so embarrassing to be sopping in a kids section at my age (21). i need suits and shirts for work. even size 6 in next is too big. miss selfridge used to stock size 4/us size o for a while but they stopped. oasis sells ok clothes in small sizes sometimes. i also tend to shop in european sizes rather than british sizes, due to the serious vanity sizing - a european size 38 inches is maybe a size 12/14 in H&M and oasis and a Size 8 in Marks and Spencer and bon marche. or clothes sixe 18+ being labelled 'petite'

where can i get adult and business clothes in small sizes?

there must be more of us out there. small ladies. so if we pool our knowledge maybe we can all buy clothes. and its not like we are anorexics or anything. im just really short and therefore in proportion.

how old are you, what size do you tend to wear and where do you get your clothes?
STOP THIS PETITIST DISCRIMINATION!
where do you buy clothes? which websites are also good for small clothes?
where do you buy your clohes?

I'm the same as you I fit in both size 6 and size 8(just about) for some strange reason. :s:
I tend to go in new look, select,topshop and dorthy perkins for my clothes or just local stores that sell nice things.:smile: I also found loads of random websites (which can't remember names to sorry):redface: for smaller clothes maybe try google and it will bring up things hopefully.:smile:
go to NExt, or kids section at new look-They do quite mature-looking outfit.
I<3ANTM
OMG tell me about it, a vest top I bought from Urban Outifitters in Florida that was $14, was £20 here!! Such a rip off.

I got a vest top for $2 from there once. :p:
Reply 13
Go and look for clothes in:

Principles, especially petite tops
occasionally something good in Monsoon in size 6
Zara's all the way!!!!
Go and buy as much as you can in the cinched waist fashion. You know... those tops, jumpers and jackets that have a belt or similar around the waist. They're great, I'm filling up my wardrobe right now, hehe!
Reply 14
How tall are you?
Reply 15
im about 5'4. i have heard zara ia good but i dont have one near me, and my local principles only sells size 10 and above, and my topshop doesnt sell size 6 or 4. i think its a regional thing - if there isnt much demand for small sizes they wont stock them in that branch. so i think if i try maybe topshop in oxford street, and perhaps some of those stores in that area, it will be ok.
next size 6 is too baggy at the waist for me. i need 21 inch waist. also if i wear bigger size eg size 8 belted fashion and coats and stuff, my top half looks like a dorito shape. i need stuff fitted properly. also my local new look kids selection is not much, and i work full time as a financial advisor. so most of the clothes i need are suits and business wear. so kids ranges wont do.

does lakeside or bluewaters or any mega mall anywhere have any stores selling size 4-6? cos i dont want to cross london just to get to only one topshop shop. i want a selection of stores in case i dont like anything in topshop
Reply 16
why is it thought ok to call a size 0 person 'anorexic' and 'stick-insect' but not ok to call a fat person a fat arse or lardball? surely it amound to the same thing? im also sick of getting disgusted looks from overweight middle age shop assistants when i ask for smaller size clothes.

statistically, if there are normal people within the ladies clothes sizes 4-20, then why is the clothing market aimes at 12-24? there must be a high percentage of ladies not catered for, no?
Reply 17
I know you say that a Next size 6 is too big, but I recently bought a suit jacket in Next that was a size 8, and my waist is approx. 22" (the size 6 was too small for me), so a size 6 might fit you if you bought the right style? Miss Selfridge often have smaller sizes, and Gap (although you might want to try a UK 4 or 2 since their sizes come up relatively big.) I've never found anything in my local Topshop that's below an 8...
shinytoy
why is it thought ok to call a size 0 person 'anorexic' and 'stick-insect' but not ok to call a fat person a fat arse or lardball? surely it amound to the same thing? im also sick of getting disgusted looks from overweight middle age shop assistants when i ask for smaller size clothes.

statistically, if there are normal people within the ladies clothes sizes 4-20, then why is the clothing market aimes at 12-24? there must be a high percentage of ladies not catered for, no?

I don't think it is aimed at 12-24, most of the stuff in my local Topshop is in sizes 6-14, there's rarely any 16s. And you very rarely get anything bigger than an 18 unless you go to an older shop/somewhere like Evans. And I know that you can be a healthy size 4/6, but I don't know anyone who is a size 4, its not exactly common.
Topshop do size 4 & 6

Latest