The Student Room Group

What do I pack for uni

What type of things should be on a packing list of uni? Any top tips for packing?

Emily <3
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
What type of things should be on a packing list of uni? Any top tips for packing?

Emily <3

My general tips are to stay light where possible. When moving to an accommodation, you won't be settling down there long term and your tenancy won't last forever, so you will be hauling luggage in and out of your rooms every so often. You will very unlikely want something heavy in your room unless you fancy the workout, cost, and stress of moving. Also, the room that you would be staying in won't be huge, so bear in mind how much space that you have.
These are the same principles that I go by if you're single and living in a city, in a stage in your life where you don't have a place that you can call your own.

Things that I would be packing include:

Standard things that I would bring if I were to go on holiday: laptop (+ tablet if relevant), phone, toiletries, clothes I know that I will wear

Cooking utensils: saucepan being the main one, but also plate, cutlery, bowl, wooden spoons, spatulas

Home gym equipment, should I want to save on gym membership fees: bench, dumbbells, mat, bar

Books: most books that I want to read, but not so many that it would be a pain to carry (no, not all of us use ebooks)

IT equipment: monitor (if I want to be fancy), earphones, laser pointer, printer with scanner, wired mouse, memory sticks, speakers

Clothes (make sure that these are the clothes that you would wear at least 80% of the time), including: sports wear, PJs, compfy clothes, clothes for nights out, clothes to go to lectures and seminars in, interview wear (in case you want to apply for jobs), winter and summer coats, winter and summer wear; this shouldn't be more than what you can fit in a single suitcase

Game console and TV, if relevant but avoid where possible

Bag, stationery, instrument (depending on what you study)

Bike (if relevant), but I prefer to bring this on a second trip or hire one if you coming from afar e.g. outside of the country

Don't buy things that you can easily get at the local shops if you are short on space e.g. food (unless it's for the first night), cleaning products, posters, paper. If you can access the same things through apps or software, don't bring the equivalent physical stuff with you (except for books) e.g. use Netflix instead of DVDs, cloud storage instead of hard drives (unless it's unavoidable).

The rule of thumb is if it all can't fit in the rear seats + boot of a 3 door hatchback, it's too much.

Emily <3

Hello,

I hope you're well. I can see you've received some very useful advice in the answer below about what to pack so I can give you suggestions about where to buy things from:

Poundland, Savers, Primark, Wilko, Dunelm, ASDA. This is more for small items which may not need to last that long! I also packed most of my things in these flat pack plastic compartments from IKEA which can fold up once you're done but unfortunately I cannot find the link. It is also important to remember to have small boxes to store things in your room as sometimes there is not a lot of storages in university rooms: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/cat/paper-media-boxes-16202/

Don't forget cleaning supplies for your bathroom and bedroom, also your bedding (pillows, pillowcases, duvet, duvet covers, blankets)!

Best of luck on your new journey

Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Original post by Anonymous
My general tips are to stay light where possible. When moving to an accommodation, you won't be settling down there long term and your tenancy won't last forever, so you will be hauling luggage in and out of your rooms every so often. You will very unlikely want something heavy in your room unless you fancy the workout, cost, and stress of moving. Also, the room that you would be staying in won't be huge, so bear in mind how much space that you have.
These are the same principles that I go by if you're single and living in a city, in a stage in your life where you don't have a place that you can call your own.

Things that I would be packing include:

Standard things that I would bring if I were to go on holiday: laptop (+ tablet if relevant), phone, toiletries, clothes I know that I will wear

Cooking utensils: saucepan being the main one, but also plate, cutlery, bowl, wooden spoons, spatulas

Home gym equipment, should I want to save on gym membership fees: bench, dumbbells, mat, bar

Books: most books that I want to read, but not so many that it would be a pain to carry (no, not all of us use ebooks)

IT equipment: monitor (if I want to be fancy), earphones, laser pointer, printer with scanner, wired mouse, memory sticks, speakers

Clothes (make sure that these are the clothes that you would wear at least 80% of the time), including: sports wear, PJs, compfy clothes, clothes for nights out, clothes to go to lectures and seminars in, interview wear (in case you want to apply for jobs), winter and summer coats, winter and summer wear; this shouldn't be more than what you can fit in a single suitcase

Game console and TV, if relevant but avoid where possible

Bag, stationery, instrument (depending on what you study)

Bike (if relevant), but I prefer to bring this on a second trip or hire one if you coming from afar e.g. outside of the country

Don't buy things that you can easily get at the local shops if you are short on space e.g. food (unless it's for the first night), cleaning products, posters, paper. If you can access the same things through apps or software, don't bring the equivalent physical stuff with you (except for books) e.g. use Netflix instead of DVDs, cloud storage instead of hard drives (unless it's unavoidable).

The rule of thumb is if it all can't fit in the rear seats + boot of a 3 door hatchback, it's too much.

Hi
This might be the best list I’ve ever seen in my life :smile: I LOVE it !!

Thanks
Emily <3
coat hangers
clothes drying rack
Original post by bl0bf1sh
coat hangers
clothes drying rack

Hi @bl0bf1sh
Brilliant ideas!

Emily <3

Emily <3

Hi!

Well I don't know much about packing but some things to add;
1. Clothes, shoes, accessories, jewelries of course generally speaking all your wears.
2. Books or reading materials including stationeries, all you need for your studies and reading and whatnot
3. Would say pots, plates, pans, cutleries', basically kitchen utensils
4. Toiletries
5. Food of course
6. Things to keep busy or use during your free time like Laptops, board games, video games, consoles, speakers et cetera
7. If you are into exercise, bring things like your workout mats, gym wears, skipping ropes and others
You can also ask current students in your Uni/course/accommodation to see what they use in their daily lives, you can also buy things when you arrive. You don't need to buy everything before coming, I mean it'll be a lot of weight and unnecessary trouble but if you would be prefer that then no problem. Hoe this helps!

Benedicta- University of Sunderland Student Ambassador

Emily <3

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/freshers/what-to-take-to-university-checklist

Emily <3

It can be so hard to know what to pack for uni! I remember heading into my first year and feeling the need to pack everything I owned. We've written a whole blog about the top essentials to pack (you can check it out here: http://bit.ly/3JlOgES) but overall, I'd say:
- Take a small bag of the essentials you need to survive moving day (e.g. phone charger, ID, snacks, water). This saves you the hassle of rummaging through your boxes to find something you urgently need on the day.
- Kitchen basics. I'd say a top tip is, if you're moving in with people you know, check what they're planning on bringing so you can divide and conquer.
- Décor to make your room feel homely! Rugs, picture frames, polaroids etc are all great. And a cacti will never go amiss! You can usually buy some of this in your first few days at uni, if you can't pack it. Also, a spare set of bedding so you can easily swap it over when it needs washing.

Hope this helps someone!

- Sophie
Here's my general take on WHAT TO PACK FOR UNI

You are going into university and you keep thinking - What do I need to pack to the university?

Firstly, you should bear in mind that you are not going to stay there forever and you will be going on holidays from time to time. And so, there is no point carrying huge properties. You should also consider the space you will live in. It will definitely not be as large as the room in your home.

In order not to forget anything, a comprehensive checklist has been made to assist you get your items together.

Documents: you should check the school’s prospectus and know the required documents. This is very essential and should not be forgotten.

Writing materials : this includes books, pen, sticky note, highlighting pen, journal etc. You should first pack books that are relevant to the course you are studying before going on to add books you can read for leisure.

Toiletries: to get this, you should consider this hack - thinking through the activities you do from when you get up in the morning before leaving for class. You will have to brush your teeth, and so, you will need a toothbrush. To bathe, you will need your bath wash, a bathing glove, bathrobe/towel and so on. You will need your body lotion, a deodorant, body spray, perfume, etc.

Clothes: take clothes that you are sure you will wear. Do not take what will end up staying in your box/wardrobe from the day of resumption to the day you vacate. That’s adding unnecessary load and stress to yourself.

Beddings : get things you will need for your bed like bedspreads, pillowcases, duvet, throw pillows (if desired).

Kitchen Utensils: includes plates, cutleries, bowl, cup and so on.

If there’s no reading table provided in your room, you can get a moderate one for yourself.

Gadgets: laptop, tablet, phone, air pod/headset, Bluetooth speaker, printer (if desired), video game (Ps), chargers, extension charger (to accommodate that needs to be charged).

Bags: either handbag, backpack, tote bag. Anyone you feel comfortable with can serve.

Food: you can get cereals, snacks and other edibles that you like.

Miscellaneous items: when you have exhausted all that has been listed, you can add things that are not so important but might be useful at some point.

I hope this helps

Chuks
University of Bradford Alumni
Here's my general take on WHAT TO PACK FOR UNI

You are going into university and you keep thinking - What do I need to pack to the university?

Firstly, you should bear in mind that you are not going to stay there forever and you will be going on holidays from time to time. And so, there is no point carrying huge properties. You should also consider the space you will live in. It will definitely not be as large as the room in your home.

In order not to forget anything, a comprehensive checklist has been made to assist you get your items together.

Documents: you should check the school’s prospectus and know the required documents. This is very essential and should not be forgotten.

Writing materials : this includes books, pen, sticky note, highlighting pen, journal etc. You should first pack books that are relevant to the course you are studying before going on to add books you can read for leisure.

Toiletries: to get this, you should consider this hack - thinking through the activities you do from when you get up in the morning before leaving for class. You will have to brush your teeth, and so, you will need a toothbrush. To bathe, you will need your bath wash, a bathing glove, bathrobe/towel and so on. You will need your body lotion, a deodorant, body spray, perfume, etc.

Clothes: take clothes that you are sure you will wear. Do not take what will end up staying in your box/wardrobe from the day of resumption to the day you vacate. That’s adding unnecessary load and stress to yourself.

Beddings : get things you will need for your bed like bedspreads, pillowcases, duvet, throw pillows (if desired).

Kitchen Utensils: includes plates, cutleries, bowl, cup and so on.

If there’s no reading table provided in your room, you can get a moderate one for yourself.

Gadgets: laptop, tablet, phone, air pod/headset, Bluetooth speaker, printer (if desired), video game (Ps), chargers, extension charger (to accommodate that needs to be charged).

Bags: either handbag, backpack, tote bag. Anyone you feel comfortable with can serve.

Food: you can get cereals, snacks and other edibles that you like.

Miscellaneous items: when you have exhausted all that has been listed, you can add things that are not so important but might be useful at some point.

I hope this helps

Chuks
University of Bradford Alumni

Emily <3

Hi Emily,

There are some things that you may not think about which I think are really important!
First a doorstop! Prop your door open when you first move into your halls and are unpacking, it means that people will look in and you can say hello, it also just makes your room more inviting for people in the first week.
Also your general things, kitchen equipment etc.
You should check your university halls and what it comes with as some may be catered etc but also if you do not have ensuite bathrooms I know alot of people find it helpful to have a shower caddy they can take with them to the showers and shower shoes as well which you dont mind getting wet for when you are walking to and from the bathroom.

I really hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
University of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador
Hey! here's some extra bits I could think of which may come in handy.

I would recommend packing your items in the low storage boxes for under the bed. If you try and organise these before you move, this will save so much time once you're there as you can then just place them under your bed. This also maximises the storage you have in your bedroom and they will come in very handy when your moving house at the end of the year too! Similarly, over the door hooks are handy for maximising storage.

Slippers and sliders are also very important, as the floors in uni accommodation can be very dirty!

A mattress topper as most of the beds aren't the comfiest and this also protects the mattress underneath.

Buying two sets of bedding has been a life saver for me, so I can make a rotation for when one set of bedding is in the wash. The wash and driers at my university took a long time, so this meant I always had fresh bedding on my bed.

A big laundry bag will be useful to transport your laundry to the washing machines, as sometimes these can be located quite far away from your flat. I'd recomend a big one with handles and a zip.

A speaker will come in handy when having parties and gatherings with your new flat mates!

I hope this helps!
- Scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Sheffield Ambassador
Hi there, my advice is to keep it as simple as possible, do not buy anything expensive and purchase some storage tubs with lids. The storage tubs will give you extra space in your room that you can push under your bed and bring out when you need. The list below is what I would take

Bedding (2 x sets with a mattress topper - look at bed size for room you are renting)
2 x plates, 2 x bowls, 2 x cups, 2 x knifes, fork, spoons, sharp knife, wooden spoon, small plastic tubs
1 x saucepan
1x frying pan
1x Water bottle
Salt, pepper, herbs, pasta, rice and cooking sauces
Cleaning cloths, cleaning spray, toilet cleaner, toilet roll, air freshener
Laundry detergent, airer and basket
Chargers for phones, laptops
Laptop, pens, paper and a good bag for taking into university
Small standing picture of family and friends
Toiletries and essentials
A mixture of summer and winter clothes - UK weather can change in an instant so make sure you bring a good coat with hat scarf and gloves.

Everything you take will be coming back home again with you so my advice is do not pack the kitchen sink!
Good luck :-)

ARU Dee
Digital Student Ambassador

Emily <3

Hey Emily,

The lists provided by the other student ambassadors have been FANTASTIC! Like omfg. Where was this list when I was packing for university? :lol:

After going through the list, I realized that a very special thing was missing. I can't stress enough how important it is to pack at least 1 or 2 suits when coming to university. It really should be a mandatory piece of clothing in your wardrobe. I'm sure we can all agree that there are several opportunities to attend networking events, banquets, dinners, conferences, and job interviews whilst at university. I always believe in dressing the part and dressing for success. So future students you better pack that well tailor-suit! :lol:

- Dennis :biggrin: (PhD Air Transport Management student)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending