The Student Room Group

Which did you find harder? C1 2016 or C1 2017?

The 2016 Edexcel C1 was a bit fiddly, but I definitely found this year's C1 harder. The inequalities question especially, and I couldn't get my answer for Q2 in root 2 form. Ugh. What did you think about this year's C1 compared to last year?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

For AQA, I found C1 the hardest, so far.

Original post by honour
The 2016 C1 was a bit fiddly, but I definitely found this year's C1 harder. The inequalities question especially, and I couldn't get my answer for Q1 in root 2 form. Ugh. What did you think about this year's C1 compared to last year?

What exam board are you?
Reply 2
Original post by MajorFader
For AQA, I found C1 the hardest, so far.

What exam board are you?

Sorry I meant Edexcel. And yes I've heard a lot of people here saying how hard the AQA's C1 was this year. Lol get ready for the drop in grade boundaries! :smile:
C1 this year was beaut, don't get the complaints, I think it was way easier than last years
Reply 4
Original post by sophieegou
C1 this year was beaut, don't get the complaints, I think it was way easier than last years

I don't understand you people.
Original post by honour
I don't understand you people.

For Edexcel C1, this year's paper was much easier than 2016. I re-attempted that paper the day before the exam and actually felt like crying because I remembered just how much I struggled with it the first time :frown:
I've done both in an exam situation and I have to say, C1 this year was much less fiddly, there were less surds and the questions generally weren't trying to trip you up. Like imagine doing last years C1 exam in the middle of your exams with all other exam stress and then trying to come out with a cohesive answer during some of long, drawn-out questions, then compare it to this years area question and hm.

I think they realised their mess up last year when they kept putting that 'solutions based entirely on numerical or graphical methods are not acceptable' leading to many people losing marks due to not being sure what that means for things based in trig (I think that was C2 though correct me if I am wrong)
Reply 7
So does 62/75 sound like a reasonable grade boundary for an A?
Original post by honour
So does 62/75 sound like a reasonable grade boundary for an A?

I'd say higher, more like 63/4
Reply 9
Original post by RobertTaylorUK
I'd say higher, more like 63/4

What do you reckon for C2?
Original post by honour
What do you reckon for C2?

the standard, C2 didn't really stand out as difficult for me.
Reply 11
the standard, C2 didn't really stand out as difficult for me.

So probably 63 is well. Do you do S1 or M1?
Original post by honour
So probably 63 is well. Do you do S1 or M1?

Doing stats this year, did M1 last year, got a B so idk whether I can be classed as qualified to help :3
Reply 13
Doing stats this year, did M1 last year, got a B so idk whether I can be classed as qualified to help :3

Don't worry I wasn't going to ask for help, just interested to know. :smile: So you're an A2 student?
Original post by honour
Don't worry I wasn't going to ask for help, just interested to know. :smile: So you're an A2 student?

Yeah, I didn't revise for maths last year and got a B so I resat.
Reply 15
Yeah, I didn't revise for maths last year and got a B so I resat.

Oh dear :s-smilie:
So what other modules are you doing this year? C3, C4 and S1? (how are you doing with C3? that unit looks really hard...)
Original post by honour
Oh dear :s-smilie:
So what other modules are you doing this year? C3, C4 and S1? (how are you doing with C3? that unit looks really hard...)

Ironically I find that difficulty for the A2 modules I am doing are in the order:

S1>C3>C4 (latter being harder)

What other subjects are you doing and what do you wanna do at Uni, just wondering cos I see you around maths threads a lot xD
Reply 17
Ironically I find that difficulty for the A2 modules I am doing are in the order:

S1>C3>C4 (latter being harder)

What other subjects are you doing and what do you wanna do at Uni, just wondering cos I see you around maths threads a lot xD

You're so lucky you get to do S1 for A2... in my college we're stuck with doing either S2 (if you did S1 in AS) or M2 (if you did M1 in AS) :frown:

Lol you do? That's probably because I get stuck a lot and always needing help xD
I do Psychology and Biology, how about you? :smile:
Original post by honour
You're so lucky you get to do S1 for A2... in my college we're stuck with doing either S2 (if you did S1 in AS) or M2 (if you did M1 in AS) :frown:

IKR, I don't particularly know why or how we're doing it but the people I envy the most (if it's even possible) are the ones that do D1 for A2

Ugh, 90 UMS in D1 is the dream
Reply 19
IKR, I don't particularly know why or how we're doing it but the people I envy the most (if it's even possible) are the ones that do D1 for A2

Ugh, 90 UMS in D1 is the dream

You'd rather do D1 for A2?? We get the option to do D1 in A2 but people here have been saying that D1 is probably the most boring module and not stimulating at all.

Quick Reply

Latest